U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,866,500 times

Advertisements

LOL...Most of you remember Repo...a 6 week old puppy, a friend and I "reposessed" from an irresponsable family...My daughter decided to give him his forever home. When she was here visiting and picking him up, we thought it would be fun to give him a DNA test...you send away for the kit..we could only find one manufacturer...and everyone carried the it...cost was $40. Test arrived quickly, came with two cotton swabs that you swabed the inside of the dogs mouth with, and sent back...waited 2 weeks.
Here's Repo:Repo and his DNA Test!-chris-jim-visit-11-08-038.jpg

He is a bit older now...11 weeks...and weighs some 25lbs.
Test came back....LOL
Largest fraction: Chow
followed by: Irish Setter, Brittany and ready for this?
Papyillon! LOL...Think we got ripped off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
On the test or dog??

Old 12-13-2008, 04:10 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,866,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
On the test or dog??
LOL...no, no, no.....the test! Repo is an absolute doll...and we really could care less what he is....we thought it would be fun to just find out his "heritage". We were sure Lab would be first and foremost....LOL...and I think it still is.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:18 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
Well even as an ex breeder I would never waist my money on DNA test. There is not enough proof as to the breeds they claimming. Now if its a pedigree dispute as to parents & you can get them tested to compaire then I would do it.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:09 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
I tested what I though was black lab/Border Collie mix and found out she was GSD/GSP. WHen she lies down and her ears fall the right way, I can sure see the GSD. And i guess her coat is more GSD.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,734,857 times
I definitely would've bet on Lab as his primary breed. Goes to show you why I couldn't win in Vegas!

Either way, he's awfully cute!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,777,016 times
I can see Chow in Repo's muzzle.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Location: PNW native currently residing in the SoCal high desert
259 posts, read 560,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...Most of you remember Repo...a 6 week old puppy, a friend and I "reposessed" from an irresponsable family...My daughter decided to give him his forever home. When she was here visiting and picking him up, we thought it would be fun to give him a DNA test...you send away for the kit..we could only find one manufacturer...and everyone carried the it...cost was $40. Test arrived quickly, came with two cotton swabs that you swabed the inside of the dogs mouth with, and sent back...waited 2 weeks.
Here's Repo:Attachment 32410

Test came back....LOL
My half Chow (who was from a purebred, akc chow mother so there is no doubt) looked just like that as a puppy. Except for the white markings, she was solid black.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Here's Repo:Attachment 32410

Test came back....LOL
Well, the results sure c/h fooled me (very interesting combination) but it's good that you had it done, the mystery is solved. I sure don't see chow, IS, Brittany or Papillion in him but what do I know - will be interesting to see how he looks as he matures b/c they do change somewhat. Breeds aside, he's a lovely pup and a lucky boy.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
I wouldnt have had a DNA test done but I know you where doing it "just to see" Whatever it is its a great looking dog IMO. Real nice face.
If you wanna tell ppl its a Hybrid, tell em a Chishanyillion hehe. French breed no doubht :P Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs