Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

Well, my cat just tipped over the 13-pound bag of open kibble that was sitting opened on the table. I don't know how or why or who convinced him to do it, but when I entered the kitchen, I saw this enormous pile of kibble on the floor surrounded by two opportunist dogs.

Good job, Einstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I hate that so many vets recommend Purina...its one of the worst brands of dog food IMO...(many dogs are allergic to corn gluten meal & soy, plus those lovely by-products...ugh!) My new little guy was also being fed Purina, so I had to buy some too because I dont want him to have tummy issues from switching foods when he has so much going on already! If you have to go the kibble route, I really like Pinnacle...they have a peak protein formula that is very low in grains, (also have duck/potato, chicken/oat & a trout formula) the ingredients are excellent, and all my animals love it. Hey, if people get short with you, thats their issue...you are going to great lengths and expense to ensure the health and comfort of your baby, so dont let them bring you down!
Well, what can I feed my dog that is healthy and made for sensitive stomachs? My vet was mad that my dog was loosing weight. Does Wellness make a brand for sensitive stomachs? Is there something I can make from scratch that I can depend upon?

I was sold this kibble crap pretty hard today. I feel like it's my fault my dog has lost weight and I need to do a better job. I said, "Well let me read the ingredients first." My vet said, "Are you saying you refuse the food, because if so, I'll write that down." She seemed angry at me, frankly. It was just easier to buy the damn kibble crap. I thought, well, maybe it will help my dog gain weight.

I'll keep doing my research. Maybe I'll come up with something.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Well, new update, my dog has been vomiting and in nothing but pain and agony this evening after feeding her the kibble. She can hardly walk. I should never have let that dumb ass vet push that crap kibble on me. Why didn't I listen to myself? Why? Why? Why? She was just starting to get better and now this. I'm never going to that vet again. I'm going to make my own food from now on. Everyone say a prayer for my poor dog.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Woofers, have you considered Honest Kitchen foods? They are raw, dehydrated, have lots of fiber (which is good for firm stools) and are nutritionally complete. There is one formulation (Preference) that you can mix with your own meat source. Another formula has no gluten but a little grain to help put on some weight. Whole Dog Journal gave them a positive review, I believe.

Human Grade Pet Food, Natural Pet Food–The Honest Kitchen

Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Woofers, have you considered Honest Kitchen foods? They are raw, dehydrated, have lots of fiber (which is good for firm stools) and are nutritionally complete. There is one formulation (Preference) that you can mix with your own meat source. Another formula has no gluten but a little grain to help put on some weight. Whole Dog Journal gave them a positive review, I believe.

Human Grade Pet Food, Natural Pet Food–The Honest Kitchen
Thank you. I'll check them out.

We are very depressed tonight. I could try other vets, but I'm discouraged, and right now I'm barely making ends meet. I'm going to keep searching for the right combination of foods to help my dog.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
wolf wolf wolf

sent you a message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks, got the message rural lady. Really appreciate it.

Update: We've been up the entire night. Found a good nutritionist for IBD whom I'll be talking to tomorrow. I'm also hoping she'll refer us to another veterinarian.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Prayers are with you.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Im so sorry...(we were up all night too, I know how exhausted and frustrated you must be) That vet sounds like they really dont know what theyre doing or are just trying to make as much money on you as possible, youre right to switch. There are trial size bags of Pinnacle dog food for $3.99 if there is a good pet store near you, (you wont find it at Petsmart or any of the commercial-based stores, but I know you can also order it on-line.) Heres a link in case you want to check out their ingredients: Pinnacle - Holistic Canine and Feline Formulas I am sending prayers and healing energy your way...

Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Im so sorry...(we were up all night too, I know how exhausted and frustrated you must be) That vet sounds like they really dont know what theyre doing or are just trying to make as much money on you as possible, youre right to switch. There are trial size bags of Pinnacle dog food for $3.99 if there is a good pet store near you, (you wont find it at Petsmart or any of the commercial-based stores, but I know you can also order it on-line.) Heres a link in case you want to check out their ingredients: Pinnacle - Holistic Canine and Feline Formulas I am sending prayers and healing energy your way...
luvmycat,

Thank you for thinking of us. After what happened with that crap kibble, we are going to a nutritionist tomorrow who has helped lots of dogs with this type of problem. I want to know exactly what I need to do for her. She'll customize a diet for my dog based on her condition and various test results. Tonight I went back to my vet and ordered a bunch of test and also got her to put my dog on an antibiotic. I was up the entire night researching how to deal with this condition. I also had them give my dog subcutaneous fluids because she was dehydrated. I've spent all my Christmas money.

Woofers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs