U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 PM

8,830 posts, read 6,350,271 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone...I need some input about a situation with my neighbor and his dog. I have a cat and dog myself, and I LOVE animals and nothing gets me more upset and crazy than to see an animal being mistreated.

This guy lives 2 doors down, and he has a beautiful golden retriever named Sugar. He moved in a few months ago, and none of us have a yard to speak of or fences, so everyone has to walk their dogs to potty. We have a field nearby that most of us take our dogs, and that's where I met him. I can't stand this guy because of the way he treats his dog. He screams at her, jerks her around on her chain or rope (no, not a leash) and I have even seen him kick her!!!

He makes me so angry every time I see him, so I try to avoid him but it hasn't worked so well. I have been taking my dog to another clearing to potty, but I have to walk past the side of his house to do so and I have run into him a couple of times. First time he told me to stop letting my dog poop in his yard (never happened, btw) because his dog eats poop. Well, obviously his dog was eating her own poop.

Second time, it was raining and the poor dog runs to me like mad when she sees me and falls at my feet. This happens everytime I see her, btw, but the guy HATES my dog (thinks she's not "disciplined" enough) and doesn't want his dog near mine. Anyway, he yells at the dog not to fall on the ground cause it's wet and jerks her up and she sits up in a begging position looking at me and it just broke my heart!!!!

I don't know how much longer I can take this....this guy is an obvious control freak and because he can't control people (no woman in his life or friends that I know of) he got a dog to abuse instead???

Sorry this is so long, but this has been stewing in me since July and I'm ready to kidnap the dog. I'm staking out his place, trying to figure out the best time to sneak the dog out. I would have to break-in, because like I said none of us have yards and all pets are inside. I know this is wrong, but what am I supposed to do? Just sit idly by while this jerk beats his dog and just pray that he doesn't kill her?

I guess I would like some input and honesty about how you guys would handle this. I can't do anything while I'm living here, but I feel sure that within 6 months or less I will be able to find a place with a fence far away from here. Getting animal control involved is a total waste of time, they suck around here. First hand experience, trust me. I'm the neighborhood "watchdog" of dogs and cats.

Help!!??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM

17,115 posts, read 12,422,778 times
Have you tried calling your local GR rescue? They may have some ideas that won't get you into trouble. You cannot help the dog if you are in jail....

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Have you tried calling your local GR rescue? They may have some ideas that won't get you into trouble. You cannot help the dog if you are in jail....
LOL That's true. GR rescue? What's that?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM

Most breeds have a "rescue" organization (in larger communities anyway). You mentioned that she was a Golden Retriever so I bet if you went to the local Golden Retriever club website, they would have a link to the nearest Golden Retriever Rescue organization....or the Humane Society might also

Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 PM

You can also just google "Golden Retriever Rescue" - they typically deal with abandoned or surrendered animals but they may be able to offer suggestions....

Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 4,141,775 times
Get some evidence...pictures, video, all that good stuff, and THEN get animal control groups involved. If they have the evidence right in front of them, they have to do something, dont they? Are there any other animal groups you could contact who might be more willing to stand up for the dog? Even if you decide to steal the dog at some later point, I would get a video of the abuse just in case. BTW I dont think its necessarily unethical to sneak an animal out of an abusive situation if its the only way to get it to safety...i just dont want you to get in trouble, so if you decide to proceed be careful and make sure your game plan is foolproof!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Most breeds have a "rescue" organization (in larger communities anyway). You mentioned that she was a Golden Retriever so I bet if you went to the local Golden Retriever club website, they would have a link to the nearest Golden Retriever Rescue organization....or the Humane Society might also
Right! I live in a small town, and this guy moved here from Colorado with the dog in tow. So, no GR rescue. Humane society....,maybe.....but the shelter/humane society in the next town over is basically just a drop off and is overrun with animals. I'll try the humane society, but I'm not going to hold my breath. No one can really do anything without proof, and the dog does not look neglected in any way. It's hard to see bruises on a dog.

Any secret societies that do doggie rescues that I don't know about?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,533,343 times
You may try to contact a more agressive rescue organization, like PETA. They are activists and would not be afraid to take necessary measures to protect an animal. Whether one agrees with their methods, it is better than your committing a felony. Golden Retrievers are very smart animals and are very aware of what is happening to them. Hope you get the help you need to do this legally. Thanks!

Last edited by ESFP; 12-14-2008 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: spelling, oops!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 PM

I see that you are in SC (which I am taking to mean South Carolina not Southern California ) I just googled Golden Retriever Rescue South Carolina and there are several that cover different parts of the state. I would just give them a call/email and ask for advice....can't hurt..
I just do not understand people who have animals and abuse them. They just love so unconditionally. Breaks my heart.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Get some evidence...pictures, video, all that good stuff, and THEN get animal control groups involved. If they have the evidence right in front of them, they have to do something, dont they? Are there any other animal groups you could contact who might be more willing to stand up for the dog? Even if you decide to steal the dog at some later point, I would get a video of the abuse just in case. BTW I dont think its necessarily unethical to sneak an animal out of an abusive situation if its the only way to get it to safety...i just dont want you to get in trouble, so if you decide to proceed be careful and make sure your game plan is foolproof!
Thanks Luvmycat!! I seem to be the only one catching him in the act, because none of the other neighbors have seen it. I'd have to basically stalk him to get pictures/video which would raise a red flag, since I avoid him like the plague right now. I just don't know what I can do if I can't get pictures that would make anyone do anything about it. This area that I live in just doesn't have the resources available like bigger cities.

I didn't think it was unethical either, but some people would. Rather than break-in though.....which COULD send me to jail......I want to snatch her when he has her tied up on his deck. But he's always there when she's on the deck. I really would have to spy on him and wait for him to walk across to the other obnoxious neighbor's house to catch a moment to snatch her. Wow, it's 10:30....gotta get to bed.

Thanks for your help....I'll be back tomorrow!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs