U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 276,770 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some insight? Here's my situation. I have a house with small yard. It gets very hot on summer and cold in winter. I may move 2 an apartment in Seattle. I will work all day but drop the dog along with my 3 year old with my
Mom, who has 2 cats. I want a good watchdog, but one that is good with my kid. I want a smart and loyal dog that is not yippie and is easy 2 train. I don't mind taking the dog 2 the groomer every couple of months. Thoughts? Oh and of coarse cuteness is important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM

One last thing, could someone please tell me why dnykne would cut off, or dock, a dogs tail?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,780,465 times
If you have a 3 year old child I would not get anything along the lines of a Terrier or Poodle, both kids and smaller breeds have a tendency to be high strung and it could be an accident waiting to happen.

If you want a small dog, try a Pug. Just make certain to keep them in a climate controlled enivronment as they do have breathing difficulties and the temperature extremes make it even worse.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 PM

Really? I have not heard anything to that affect, just that they are good with kids. Any dog would have to be watched, but are these worse then others? I know pugs are great and I'm sorry to all pug fans, but I just can't go there. They are not appealing to me. I thought of maybe getting a Puggle, but I thought those might be too high strung. Am I wrong?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,311,035 times
A puggle might take after the beagle parent, beagles are more active than pugs and tend to howl. Not sure who/what dnykne is but I believe schnauzer tails and poodle tails are generally docked per the breed standard, same as boxers, miniature pinchers, rottweilers, dobermans etc - not sure of the reason although Im sure it goes way back into the history of the breed but w/ the larger breeds, those tails can become like a whip (when in motion). Personally, I think I'd wait til your 3 year old is a bit older to introduce a new puppy into the home, puppies require a ton of training and attention esp. in the beginning and tend to play-bite etc and any 3 year old may have a hard time w/ it, it might be a lot for your mom.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Sorry I was typing on my phone, it was supposed to say anyone not dnykne. My bad.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,528,902 times
I work in Pug rescue and we do not place ANY pug in ANY home where there is a child under 10.

People think that Pugs are hardy, but they are NOT. They need A/C in the summer, they have eye problems and, because they have no muzzle to protect their eyes, they get eye injuries, especially from kids who like to, for whatever reason, poke them in the eyes. Pugs are also prone to allergies, back problems and seizure. And Pugs with cats is asking for disaster: one swipe of a clawed cat paw and you've just got thousands of dollars in eye injury.

It's very important to do research on a breed before acquiring an animal, and I commend you. But a Pug and a three year old are not a good combination. Nor is ANY toy dog and a three year old. You might want to think bigger, more in the Beagle area. The problem is the cats at your mother's house: terriers will go after just about anything - that's what they were bred for. And Schnauzers are really, in their roots, terriers. How about a miniature poodle? They're bigger than toy poodles and not as fragile.

But, even better, how about a young dog from a shelter, who can be 'cat-tested' before you even get out of the starting blocks? That's better than a puppy whose reaction to cats will be unknown until it's confronted by your mother's cats.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,693,424 times
Cocker spaniel may be better choice as long as get a young one. Look at the local shelters talk to shelter workers, to vet's and research all you can as everyone will have a opinion but look at AKC website and look for small breeds with what looking for.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM

7,623 posts, read 11,467,283 times
I have a schnoodle. He is good with older children (actually prefers them to adults), but I wouldn't get one for a younger child. Depending on the individual dog, it may chase the cats like mine. He doesn't hurt them, he just likes the chase! He also barks A LOT. I would think a dog like that would be quite a handful for your mother to cope with at the same time she's watching a young child, imho.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/CaseyB_011/IMGP0151.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
miu

17,141 posts, read 34,638,441 times
I had a wonderful female Welsh terrier poodle. but I got her when she was about 7 years old. What a wonderful chill dog! I wish that I could have cloned her. If your child is only 3 years old and you plan on dropping both the child and a dog with your mom for babysitting, I don't recommend that you get a dog at all at this point in time. A dog is not a toy. Plus your mom will have her hands full with watching your child, let alone walking the dog (or cleaning up the puppy messes or what it's chewed up being a puppy) and making sure that her cats and your dog get along. I think that it's asking too much of your mom. I don't think that you're getting a dog for the right reasons.

However if you do go the dog route, I recommend adopting an adult dog like a miniature poodle from a good rescue. And just because your 3 year old is demanding a puppy, get an adult dog instead. Or for cuteness factor, why not get your child a hamster and guinea pig? And they can travel in their cage to your mom's house also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or