Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 AM

34 posts, read 482,011 times

Advertisements

I have a very sweet mini schnauzer and am wanting to get a very young female Golden Retriever for Christmas. I've had my dog for almost 8 years. He wasn't socialized when he was a puppy. He isn't aggressive I don't think but he's very jealous and dominant. How do I do this the right way?

Added info: He growls at dogs when he first meets them but then gets over it. He is dominant about his toys and growls when I pet another dog. I babysat a dog a few years ago and he didn't act aggressive with the dog at all. He just acted like he hated her. ha ha. He freaked out when she got on the bed and I tried to fix the problem but the girl dog was so scared I dropped the situation. She had been beaten and was very timid...poor thing. She spent most of the 3 days hiding and my dog spent most of the 3 days trying to protect his territory and everything in it.

Will my schnauzer eventually get over it or am I about to make the rest of his life miserable?
Please help.
Leah
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Why would you want to do this? Your new puppy could be seriously hurt and should NEVER be left alone unsupervised with this dog.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Your schnauzer has been that way for 8 years, I think that it would be very very difficult to reprogram his emotional behaviour at this late stage in his life. Having had a schnauzer growing up, I believe that they have a tendency to be stubbornly protective of their family and territory. Add to this that the golden has been abused and is very timid. She's going to need a lot of reassurrance and attention for a long time, like years. And you can't give it to her because of your schnauzer. Will no one else adopt this young golden?

I suppose that I can imagine your situation being on one of those dog training shows. If your house is large enough and you hired a professional dog behaviourist/trainer for consultation, you might be able to pull it off. But it's going to put both of your dogs through a lot of stress. And change isn't going to come easy or quickly. Has your schnauzer ever been through obedience training? Doesn't he listen to sit and stay commands? And you have to be consistently firm with him and be his alpha. I feel that you've let his anti-social behaviour go unchecked all his life.

I think that it would help you to try to watch that Animal Planet show It's Me or the Dog. I just watched the episode with the older couple involved with a purebred rescue and owning (and fostering) 4 Weimaraner dogs. One female was very dominant. The trainer worked with all the dogs on some of the issues you have except none of the dogs was timid from being abused. It was a lot of work for the couple. Not only did they have to work on obedience training for all 4 dogs, but in addition, more exercise was needed in terms of more frequent walks and play activities. The physical exhaustion helped the dogs mellow out. The exercise of searching and hunting for toys and people gave their dogs a job to do. Right now, your schnauzer's job is to protect his turf.

Anyway, the success of what you want to do is going to depend on how much effort and time you can spend working with both of these dogs. And it's going to be more than twice the effort you are now putting towards just having the schnauzer.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 AM

591 posts, read 1,415,423 times
I see no problem in you adding another dog to your family but before you do that you need to get rid of your schnauzers bad habits first. I'll be honest in admitting i'm not exactly sure how to do all that so I would talk to a trainer in your area.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Don't know how to help since your schnauzer wasn't socialized...my very well-socialized 7.5 year old dog was taken aback at the new 11 week old puppy we got 2 days ago. She growled, yelp-barked if we gave the puppy attention...just seemed pissed off...but this morning I watched them play together with my older dog's toys. The key is also to watch the pack and maintain order. My older dog still gets fed first, comes in the door first, gets attention first, etc. All three of us go on long walks together - that's something I learned from watching Cesar Milan. A pack walks together.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
You might be surprised at how well the two dogs get along. Dogs do like the company of other dogs. They are pack creatures. But you have to realize that dogs are not diplomatic. It's not like two kids where you treat them both equally because you love them the same. Alpha dogs must have the respect they need, otherwise the heirarchy will be confused and dogs fight.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 AM

591 posts, read 1,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You might be surprised at how well the two dogs get along. Dogs do like the company of other dogs. They are pack creatures. But you have to realize that dogs are not diplomatic. It's not like two kids where you treat them both equally because you love them the same. Alpha dogs must have the respect they need, otherwise the heirarchy will be confused and dogs fight.
Excellent advice!!
I agree totally with what woof said. You also need to realize it takes time for them to adjust to each other. It may happen right away or it may take time. Just be patient and make sure during this process you NEVER leave the new pup alone with your adult dog til you are comfortable that your new pup is safe.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
This is only based on my own experience, but I thought I'd share:

I have a 35-pound Lab mix with short Corgi or Beagle legs. He's a classic bully, barking and lunging at all dogs that he meets, whether on- or off-leash. He's definitely the Alpha, at EVERY level. And he definitely does not like when my attention goes toward another dog -- it's like he's saying, "you're MINE, dammit!"

Anyway, while on vacation for a week, we took him to stay with a friend of mine. That friend had just adopted a 5-month old 50-pound Pyranees. Compared to my 5-year-old "old man," this pup was HUGE.

I figured that she'd just keep them apart for the week, because there was no way that my Artie was going to deal with this "other" dog. He's a one-dog wonder.

Welllllll, on the way to pick up Artie after the week, I was on the phone with my friend. "They're best buddies," she said. "They played all day, every day. They totally love each other."

She said that Artie barked at the puppy when they first met. That lasted a couple of hours. But then... the lovefest began.

When I got there and saw them playing together, I started the begging process to convince my husband to get another dog. I figured that would be the best way to socialize Artie -- to have another dog in the house. I lost the argument but, regardless, it was such an AMAZING thing to see Artie -- king of the world Artie! king of the barkers and lungers! -- actually PLAYING and loving this other dog.

By the way, they were both males, both fixed. I didn't think males typically got along, but this threw that myth out the window too.

So, I'm not encouraging you to get another dog, but I've actually seen an aggressive bully (my Artie) get along famously with a new dog. Go figure!

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that it would help you to try to watch that Animal Planet show It's Me or the Dog. I just watched the episode with the older couple involved with a purebred rescue and owning (and fostering) 4 Weimaraner dogs. One female was very dominant. The trainer worked with all the dogs on some of the issues you have except none of the dogs was timid from being abused.
Heh, I just saw that episode yesterday!!!! As a Weimaraner owner, I laughed and laughed. I wouldn't let Morgan (my Weim.) watch the part where Hoss was systematically opening the cupboards looking for peanut butter, hahahahaha. My gal is really well-behaved. I can't imagine having four of them, though! I want to get one of those fake ducks and scent to play seek with Morgan. She'd have a blast!

Anyhoo, back to the topic, I think your dog will react and take his cues from you. If you want to add another dog, you need a plan that takes your dog's feelings and needs into consideration. Your dog's status can't be diminished by the newcomer -- in other words, if this new puppy barrels in and is allowed to sleep on your bed (and he isn't), eat out of his bowl, play with his toys, and take up most of your attention, your dog will understandably have issues!

BUT, if you are sensitive to your dog's feelings and introduce the new puppy carefully, they could become best buddies. Puppy needs his own toys, own food bowl and strict rules; your schnauzer needs to know he's special and occupies a big place in your heart and you WILL take up for him if puppy infringes on his space and rights. Your task is to make puppy fit into the family and not expect your longtime pal to accommodate puppy.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
A friend of mine has two Jack Russells. This friend had a baby nine months ago. One of the dogs, if he could, would bite the baby. Of course she is crazy for keeping him. That dog has not adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs