U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,777,534 times

Advertisements

What do you have to do to get your dog used to cold weather? Nothing. Your dogs look like they are primarily inside dogs. When it gets too cold for them they will let you know by doing their business right away and not wasting any time coming back inside.

It has been -20F to -25F here for the past week. My dogs can go out or come in anytime they please through a doggy door. My short-haired mastiff does not spend more than 5 minutes outside in that cold, whereas my Alaskan husky will go outside and lay exposed on the snow and ice for hours at a time. Each dog is different.

You just have to decide the best course of action based upon your dogs reaction to their new environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM

34,191 posts, read 11,412,035 times
We just moved from san diego to maine......the little dog...westie....had lived in the north east and is not upset by the cold but the first day she jumped off the porch and the snow was over her head was discouraging to her....I quickly shoveled her a little open area for her to pee in.....she is doing fine except the snow gets in her toe pads and that really bothers her.......when she lived in NYC years ago she had boots but was very bothered by them.....the salt was more of a problem then than the snow......the California girl ......a short haired but tall terrier mix.....took to the snow immediately....loves to romp in the yard....but she also had some trouble with snow and ice in the pads of her feet.

Its not a big deal and if you are proactive and protective they will do fine......most important for little dogs....shovel them a place to pee.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,955,347 times
Last year the snow didn't bother the puppy (like I said before) but we have had extreme cold on and off the last few weeks and she is not happy.

She will go out and then limp from the cold (one paw up) so we have to wipe her off very well when she comes in. Like I said, you need to make sure you get the snow/ice from the dog's paws as well as the road sand/salt.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 PM

203 posts, read 436,978 times
Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure we shovel a place for them to pee. Our dogs are pretty sturdy with sturdy legs and thick fur and they do better in colder weather vs. hot because of their flat faces. I have tried booties on Callie before for the rare rainy days we get here so she wouldn't track mud into the house and I wouldn't have to spend so much time drying her feet and it was awkward at first but she did fine. BUT she has never seen snow so we will see what happens.

We are moving to a city about 30k so not too rural.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,909,898 times
Dogs love the cold! You'll be surprised at how quickly they adapt. They will let you know in a hurry if it's too cold. My dog has to be careful of deeper snow which gets in her foot pads and makes it uncomfortable. Boots would help her but are a pain in the butt to put on.

She wears a sweater when the temps get double digit below zero. From zero to -10 if there is no wind she doesen't need a coat or sweater. Lots of wind makes for extreemly low wind chills. They can get frost bite on thier paws, so watch out in the extreem extreem cold.

Just pay attention to thier actions and you'll know how they are fairing. It is a good idea to shovel out some snow for them to potty. I do so in my yard and my dog appreciates it. I dig pathways to a couple different areas. That way she can be choosy if she wants. Different wind patterns or who knows what can make her want to be in one area or another. I don't go over board at all, just six feet out and then a small area. This year I dug up a circle pattern with spikes going out in four different directions. She really likes that, having a choice of where to trot off too.

Since you'll be in the city You won't need worry about snow mobiles. I do though and can't let my dog out without a leash. She's 100% white as snow and no snowmobiler would see her. If she would run to the front driveway area to see another dog or a deer she could be in harms way.

Just pay attention to them. You'll know when it's too cold for them - they'll tell you. Otherwise let them play in the snow. They will love it.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM

315 posts, read 603,693 times
Would anyone with a shepherd make them wear boots in sub zero temps like -40 ?
Since I own shepherds who love the cold and go on 2 hr hikes everyday without boots I wonder when I read stuff like this. Their feet are in great condition and they never show any cold feet by lifting paws. All I ever do is clean their paws with wipes if I am on a salted road so that they don't lick the salt when they clean their feet.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,777,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Would anyone with a shepherd make them wear boots in sub zero temps like -40 ?
Since I own shepherds who love the cold and go on 2 hr hikes everyday without boots I wonder when I read stuff like this. Their feet are in great condition and they never show any cold feet by lifting paws. All I ever do is clean their paws with wipes if I am on a salted road so that they don't lick the salt when they clean their feet.
My mastiff isn't too keen on staying outside when the temperature drops below 0F. About 5 minutes in that cold is all he can handle. He doesn't wear boots or a sweater. Snowballs in his pads haven't been a problem because he doesn't stay outside long enough to get them.

My Alaskan husky loves the cold, just like your GSDs. Even when it is -26F, like today, she will go into the backyard and just lay on the snow and ice for hours. She has a dog house but doesn't use it, and she has access to a heated garage through a doggy door. So I can only conclude that if she is staying outside in this cold, she must enjoy it. She also has not had any problems with packed snow in her pads.

Fortunately, we don't use salt on our roads here.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,909,898 times
My dog is a two year old Miniature American Eskimo aka Spitz. She just LOOKS like a snow dog. When it's cold out and she doesn't wish to walk, she'll still sit out on the stoop for long periods of time. I have a hard time getting her back inside.

When on a walk after a fresh snow, this is where she gets in trouble. She will try to stay on stable snow but in the powder is where she come up cold. I guess it can get between the pads on the paws. I just pick her up and gently wipe them clean with a warm hand. Then she's off and running again. If it's Sub Zero out she may at that time head towards home. If it's not cold (very cold) I have a hard time getting her to return home voluntarily. One has to pursuade her into it.

On those days when it's Snowing and the plows aren't out yet, I find that I can get my dog to allow me to put those MuttLucks on her paws. It's not easy but she knows it helps. Normally she won't want to wear any and I won't make her do so. If it's messy though, and I've shown her it is, I can get her to cooperate.

She never want's to put on a sweater either. I know it helps on those very cold days. Also on those days when it warms up and gets messy a sweater will help her stay somewhat clean. Not so much warm. I don't know if a sweater ever really helps her remain warmer. If we go grocery shoping and she'll be in the car for fifteen to twenty minutes, it seems to help her not get cold.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 192 times
Default Cold/Wet weather shelter

Our male chi, named Magnum is typically not fond of the winter weather but
finds going out more tolerable because of a canopy I installed adjacent to the entry door and canopy above it. In rain or snow he jumps off the entry step and can do his thing without getting wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting my dogs adjusted to cold weather?-balto-001.jpg  

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM

5,779 posts, read 5,847,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewswanson View Post
Our male chi, named Magnum is typically not fond of the winter weather but
finds going out more tolerable because of a canopy I installed adjacent to the entry door and canopy above it. In rain or snow he jumps off the entry step and can do his thing without getting wet.
THAT was a very smart idea! DUH I didn't think of it back in the day training my bulldog puppy in deep winter snow and ice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs