U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,692,742 times

Advertisements

I recieved email on this today and posted the snopes link so others can see if have it and what to do.

snopes.com: Pimple Ball Dog Toy Warning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM

331 posts, read 1,240,643 times
I had not heard of this toy, but we don't give our dog toys like that anyway. She would be more likely to chew off the 'pimples'. She is better with a hard ball, like the kong red ball for example.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM

7,283 posts, read 17,246,558 times
I got an email on this today and decided to see if anyone had posted about it.
I was thinking about getting my dog a kong. Wouldn't it do the same thing since the kong has a hole?
I don't really know anything about kongs other than the fact, they're supposed to be good toys for energetic young dogs that still like to chew. Are kongs okay for dogs?
Your input on kongs please and what to put in them:

Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM

342 posts, read 1,642,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I got an email on this today and decided to see if anyone had posted about it.
I was thinking about getting my dog a kong. Wouldn't it do the same thing since the kong has a hole?
I don't really know anything about kongs other than the fact, they're supposed to be good toys for energetic young dogs that still like to chew. Are kongs okay for dogs?
Your input on kongs please and what to put in them:
Kongs have two openings, one on each end, so a vacuum would not be created even if the dog was sucking on one end. The design fault with the pimple ball was that it only had one opening, leading to the creation of a vacuum. For the most part, Kongs are safe.

As for what to put in kongs, the possibilities are endless.
You can stuff them with practically anything or any combination of things. You can also freeze stuffed kongs, which makes them last longer since the dog has to work harder to get the good stuff out. If you're really concerned, you can (a) just partially stuff the Kong and freeze it on its side so that the openings remain unclogged, or (b) stuff the kongs with kibble or other dry, loose treats first, then "seal it" with something goupy that freezes.

I usually use something goupy as a "binding agent" (yogurt, mashed bananas, peanut butter, 100% canned pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, Nutro dessert cans) and add chunky moist treats (hot dogs, cheese, various fresh or frozen fruit) and some loose dry stuff (kibble, cheerios, oats). Mix it all up and stuff, or you can make different layers.

Last edited by vemureaux; 01-27-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM

7,283 posts, read 17,246,558 times
Okay, thanks vemureaux. I've never really looked at one closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs