Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 PM

24 posts, read 360,454 times

Advertisements

Okay here's the deal i will be bringing home my first English Bulldog pup this monday the 22nd. Although she is still young it's something unavoidable due to special circumstances on both parties. I have had other pups before and heve even taken care of pups as young as she is, but since EBD have some special needs I was looking for any useful advice. I live in Ohio right by the Lake so at her age I don't think she'll be going outside anytime in the near future, also potty training probably won't really, really star until a couple weeks maybe a months or so from now cuz she's just too young, and obviously no hard food yet, everything will be moisened for at least a little bit longer. Is there anything I need to especially be attentive about I've always had lg. breed dogs and none with shortened snouts. Any help will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
I have an English Bulldog, Porkchop, that is almost 4 months old. How old is your dog going to be when it comes home? While it was a frustrating process, Porkchop is finally 100% potty trained. It didn't take as long as we thought it would and I got some great advice on this board. We got him at 8 weeks, and he was never on moistened food, even when he wasn't with us.

To avoid all the health issues that Bulldogs are associated with, watch what you feed him. Don't buy Science Diet, Eukanuba, or pretty much anything else you can find at Petco/Petsmart. They are filled with crap and will cause serious health issues. We feed ours Taste of the Wild Pacicic Stream. Bulldogs tend to respond better to a fish protein, rather than chicken, which is in most of the foods out there. Our food is grainless and the only one which he tolerates and likes. The protein level is not too high (25%) and it's a single source protein (fish). You can go to the Taste of the Wild website to see retailers near you.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a direct message. Good luck with your puppy!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,802,118 times
I had an English bulldog for 16 years.......They are sooooo tenderhearted, and get there feelings hurt easily. We named her cinderella, our little beauty queen.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,841,161 times
You didn't say how old she actually is...Why would you NOT give her solid food?????

Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Sorry in my haste to write something down cuz I just found out tonight that I'll be getting her I forgot to mention her age. She'll be exactly 5 weeks. Cuz the breeder just started her on actual food maybe a week ago. And whenever my dogs had pups( only been through 3 litters) I'd slowly transition them from mom's milk to food with a little bit of warm water or milk to soften it up a bit to regular food.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,500,576 times
5 weeks is awful young.Puppy is not even socialized by mom yet. Keep it on some milk and puppy chow with milk would help. I start them on mixed puppychow/milk and start dropping milk off at 6 weeks and full dry by 7 weeks,but these are large breeds.Unsure on the small breeds. Do not let near anyone elses dogs til get vaccinated. You may want to get a stuffed animal to cuddle with also so has mom feel and keep on heater pad if to cold.
Keep us posted on the little one.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,366,226 times
The breeder should be able to give you info as to what to feed her. If she hasn't had a vet check from the breeder's vet, would definitely make sure you take her for one soon after you get her. 5 weeks is very, very young to leave her mom and siblings. Is there any way the breeder can keep her a few more weeks? Would also take an old unwashed shirt of yours and rub it on her mom so that when she goes to her new home, she'll have the scent of her mom which may be comforting.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 AM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Ember13 ,If I remember correct this is the pup that you have been helping with because of the large litter that the mother could not take care of? You posted a photo of it awhile ago?

My brother has two English bull dogs one is about 1 1/2 years old now and the other is about 1 yr. The are the funniest dogs and love being with people so much. I love being their Auntie as they just go nuts when I go see them. My brother says they do not tolerate soy so avoid products with soy. They also do not tolerate heat well but in Ohio I don't think heat will be a problem for some months! I am sure you will have your heart stolen by yours as they certainly are a bit different then most dogs and the others I have known have remained like toddlers well into old age. We even use to have one in our agility club that did agility. Her owner kept her on the thin side and they walked miles early every morning when it was still cool out. She was certainly an exception to what a bulldog can do as her owner even took some herding lessons with her! No she was not good at herding but she did have fun!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:10 AM

yup that's the one. I guess I'm just being nervous, as horrible as it sounds I got a crate for her but I really think she's going to end up sleeping with me just like my Neo did when she was a pup. It's weird but I got them both at 5 wks. Only my neo was sick with pneumonia(BAD BREEDER) where as this one is healthy. I'm expecting some messes and am prepared for them but I'm sure I'll get some sort of flack about it but oh well at 5 weeks I think she still needs to be close to something/someone but that's probably just my own way of justifing that she'll be sleeping with me.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,500,576 times
She does need to be close to someone/something so do not feel bad that way. That age they still like to cuddle with litter mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs