U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:18 AM

591 posts, read 1,283,706 times

Advertisements

I hope that everyone reads this. You can't beleive much of what you read about so called dog attacks. I"m not saying some are true but i'm here to tell you not all are.
Almost two years ago my girls dad died he was in his apartment with his dog a pit bull he'd had for two years since he was a pup. This dog was left in the house for two weeks with him with no food. The media said he tore him up and was eating on him. This wasn't true. The dog never did no such thing. When his brother found him the dog was laying on him whining licking him trying to wake him up. The media said he tore him apart. THat too was a lie, the dog never did anything to him. So i'm here to tell you, yiou can't beleive everything you read about dogs. Exspecially pit bulls cause the media wants us to beleive they are all bad when in fact that isn't true. Don't get me wrong..there are some bad dogs but not an entire breed. I had a German Shepherd attack my son do I think all GSD's are bad. NO..
As long as we feed into this it will continue to go on til we no longer have a single big breed dog left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 01:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,696,417 times
Sorry about girls dad but love the point that it is showing.News makes better if sounds bad a story like that is good they not want to show it. I have been bit by German sheps, Heelers, hounds, ankle biters, mix breeds and none of it matters. At times was my fault others was the dog, but I still do rescue,still have dogs, and never fear any. Dogs are not the only ones that have a few bad apples,people, horses, cats all have a few go bad but we are not slamming all them.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:44 PM

315 posts, read 974,434 times
I learned a long time ago to believe half of what I see, nothing of what I hear. A prime example of dirtying the news to sell more mags or papers are those rags like the Enquirer and others.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,191,034 times
So agree. Glad I totally ignore the Worthless Wonders (all mediums) entirely! Get all the news I need via the Internet and word-of-mouth these days. Not missing anything but over-exaggerated bullbleep; too much hype for the "coming up" bullbleep; and celebrity garbage anyways.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,526,981 times
I stopped watching T.V. entirely, partly because I realized most of what I heard and saw on the news was tainted with lies and half-truths, partly because I don't much relish the idea of being "programmed"...our eyes can only see a fraction of what's really there, (google the "flicker effect" if you want to know more about this...) so basically our subconscious minds soak up whatever else they want it to soak up, (like "spend, spend, spend" and "buy this medication, you need it" and "you're too fat...get on our program!") I am glad the OP made this point...it shows, once again, people in control of the media have anything but good intentions! I'm actually GLAD about this whole digital switch...hopefully many people will say, "forget it, I'm not buying that contraption" and will begin to think for themselves more instead of believeing everything they hear...on the flip side, those who do buy into this will have double the frequencies working on their subconscous minds and will get "programmed" even further. KILL YOUR TVs!!!

Last edited by luvmycat; 12-20-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spelling! oops!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,789,124 times
"If it don't bleed, it don't lead".
--
Old newspaper maxim

Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
miu

17,152 posts, read 34,658,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I stopped watching T.V. entirely, partly because I realized most of what I heard and saw on the news was tainted with lies and half-truths, partly because I don't much relish the idea of being "programmed"...our eyes can only see a fraction of what's really there, (google the "flicker effect" if you want to know more about this...) so basically our subconscious minds soak up whatever else they want it to soak up, (like "spend, spend, spend" and "buy this medication, you need it" and "you're too fat...get on our program!") I am glad the OP made this point...it shows, once again, people in control of the media have anything but good intentions! I'm actually GLAD about this whole digital switch...hopefully many people will say, "forget it, I'm not buying that contraption" and will begin to think for themselves more instead of believeing everything they hear...on the flip side, those who do buy into this will have double the frequencies working on their subconscous minds and will get "programmed" even further. KILL YOUR TVs!!!
So you didn't follow any of the presidential election? Are you living by the credo "ignorance is bliss"... ?

I still watch the news on tv and read the news on the internet. If I see something like a dog attack story, I don't make my final judgments unless I am able to read further follow up stories. And some of the most horrific stories about dog attacks though are indeed sadly true, like the 90 year old man in Staten Island attacked by two pit bulls last July. He had to have a leg amputated and then he later died from his injuries. And the story came up again recently because the man that saved the old man is now wanted for a knifing incident.

And I'd rather be safe than sorry and having to pay medical bills for me or vet bills for my dogs. Shrug.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,363,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So you didn't follow any of the presidential election? Are you living by the credo "ignorance is bliss"... ?
I don't have a TV - haven't for years - and followed the election closely. TV access does not equal quality news access, nor does no TV access equal no news. From my internet connection I can read newspapers across the world, and read the columns of analysts I think are intelligent and well-informed. Oddly enough, none of those analysts are on TV, in part because what they have to say can't be shouted in 30 seconds.Granted print reports aren't always much better than TV, but at least there are many in-depth print reports, once you get away from the front page.

Go to the webpages of FOX and MSNBC and read the lead stories. At least 75% of it is "human interest," celebrity and sports garbage.

I do not miss TV at all.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-20-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
My friend has no TV either and I am close to following in his footsteps too.
Dont forget the actors Mastiffs that tore his help to shreads. And when it was discovered they did no such thing the media didnt report it. Or the countless times dogs are identified as "Pitbulls" and they are not. I went to a football game and the media reported several fights over a few days. A full page of reporting in fact. Took the police to say there was NO fights for the paper to print a one line retraction.
Journalism is dead.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,191,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you living by the credo "ignorance is bliss"... ?...
And I'd rather be safe than sorry and having to pay medical bills for me or vet bills for my dogs. Shrug.
In reality we, especially as pet owners, apparently sometimes do NEED the internet to know some thuths when it comes to health:
Open Letter To The Media From Pet Owners (http://hubpages.com/hub/Open-Letter-To-The-Media-From-Pet-Owners - broken link)

(And Google the benefits of Iodine, for example, especially if someone has hypothyroidism, as my sister does>)
The Media also has advertising revenues to think about = PRIORITY ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs