U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:10 PM

6,368 posts, read 10,272,940 times
Default My dog won't walk( on a leash) anymore.

Help! My adult dog has recently stopped walking . We have always walked around the neighborhood a couple of times a day-sometimes for miles but for some reason he has started to just come to a halt shortly after we leave the house and won't budge until I turn around and head back toward the house.Then he is fine until we get back to the house but if I try to keep going beyond the house in the other direction he halts and won't budge again!There are no signs of any physical problems,he is fine around the house and in the yard and everything else seems normal. He just doesn't seem to want to go for walks any more even though he used to love them and pull me around the block!
I have heard of people having trouble getting puppies used to walking on a leash but this is an adult dog who had been enjoying walking on a leash for many years.
Anyone else ever encounter this behavior and is there a way to get him back to walking again? We are both gaining weight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,474,074 times
Is it during the day time when you walk or has it been in the evening when it is dark out? How old is your dog? I ask becauuse my sister walks her dog when she gets home in the evenings and when her previous dog got older he suddenly started not wanting to leave the yard on a walk turns out his eye sight was going and that made being in situation with low light frightening to him. Outside of that I have no other ideas ulness something happened an his last walk that frightened him?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,778,950 times
Does your dog like car rides? What happens if you take him to a park for a walk? Maybe something has him spooked in your neighborhood.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Thanks,Dashog and miu! Those are good suggestions. I am going to try them both out tomorrow.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,502,719 times
My Golden Retriever is 12 now, but at an early age, she got spooked by firecrackers. This would be sounds at a great distance. She would start pulling on the leash and then wanted to turn back still pulling to get home fast. Then she must have put fireworks and cicadas on the same page because when it was not near July and she heard any noise resembling these two she would stop and want to go back. Now she walks a bit these days but still healthy.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Well,this morning when I tried to get him to walk and it was the same story.He refused to budge once we got a short distance from the house. I tried to pull him for a bit but no use.Then I brought him to the car and drove around a bit before parking 3 or 4 blocks away and got out of the car to walk. At first he was hesitant to leave the general area of the car but I eventually coaxed him into walking. I let him lead me but he only wanted to lead me home! Whenever we came to a corner he would only walk in whatever direction was the most direct route back to the house. If I tried to go a different way.... a more circuitous route home... or back to the car... he would hunker down again and not move!As long as we were headed on the most direct route home he would take the lead and walk briskly... otherwise his stubbornness would kick in and he wouldn't move.So.... I don't think it is his eyesight. It is very strange.... almost like it could be psychological. Any thoughts or possible explanations greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:02 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,778,950 times
You might be able to coax him to walk around your neighborhood by carrying dog treats with you and giving rewarding any good behaviour. Perhaps then, he will start associating his walks as being a pleasurable activity for him. My new dog doesn't like coming back into the house after a walk. So I periodically reward him with a treat when he comes up the steps and into the house.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM

4,509 posts, read 7,808,033 times
It could still be his eyesight. Heading straight for home as you described could just be from reading familiar smells and things that he knows mean "close to home" from all of the walks you've been on over the years.

It could also be arthritis.

I'm no expert but I have been learning that dogs suffer from all kinds of anxiety disorders -- just like humans. In humans the causes of depression and anxiety are multifaceted. I have to believe that the same is true with dogs.

How old is your dog?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,747,263 times
My little one is a year old, suddenly skiddish about everything. If I open the refrigerator door she runs behind the couch. The other nite someone was blowing an air horn on a boat and then there were some fireworks for Christmas and she's been spooked since. won't walk outside if it's even starting to get dark. Loves the back yard and won't go there either. Its all since the noises that nite in the dark.
Don't know what to do either.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:05 PM

549 posts, read 1,199,405 times
A big question is how old is your dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs