Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM

46 posts, read 81,106 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am hoping that you all can help me. My children are begging for a dog, and I can't figure which one will best fit our lifestyle. We previously had a black lab/golden mix about 2 years ago. She was wonderful with the kids and someone was able to be home with her during the day so she was never without an adult. When we were moving to another state, I had to give her back to the family we adopted her from due to not being able to find a place to rent that would allow pets. It has been 4 years now, and our circumstances are different. So I am hoping that once I tell you about my family, you guys will be able to help us. First, we are a family of seven...5 kids ranging from 4-15. Both my husband and I work full time hours. With the kids school schedules, this dog will be home by himself from 8-4/5. We rent a house that doesn't have a fence, however it will be given a daily walk/run (depending on who's going out that day)...I am not a runner at all .

Due to work, I am not looking to adopt or rescue a puppy as I won't have the time or patience to potty train (I've done enough of that already with 5 kids) I definitely need a dog who is good with kids. I don't need a purebred at all. I had mutts as a child, and they were my best friends. We are set on adopting a dog from a shelter or rescue. Do small dogs have a good bladder? Can you guys suggest a breed that will best fit our needs? I hope I have given enough information.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
It's cruel to make a dog hold its bladder for so many hours. Get a dog walker to come in the middle of the day to walk the dog. That's what most working people do. It really sounds like you're not ready for a dog. There is no way any of you will have time to play/socialize the dog if you are out 8-5 every day. Then comes making dinner, homework, bedtime, etc. And you mentioned you are renting. How can you be sure you'll be at this place for the duration of the dog's life? There is a good chance that the next place you rent won't allow dogs. What then? Give it up again? Sorry to be so blunt, but I volunteer at an animal shelter and we have more owner surrenders now than ever before. Dogs are a huge responsibility and require lots and lots of patience, something you already said you don't have much of. Maybe consider getting an older cat instead.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
My dogs (past and present and varying sizes) have had to be home periodically during those hours. It has never ever been a problem once the dog is fully grown. I would suggest however, getting the dog during the early part of the summer since I'm guessing at least some of the kids will be around during the day. The dog will then be used to the household by the time school starts and less likely to be destructive. I think getting a dog from a rescue or shelter is wonderful but don't get one and then immediately leave him home alone feeling abandoned once again. His bladder would be the least of my worries.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM

340 posts, read 645,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfam7 View Post
Hello everyone! I am hoping that you all can help me. My children are begging for a dog, and I can't figure which one will best fit our lifestyle.
My first concern is that your children are willing to accept the responsibilities of having a pet for the life of the pet. You know they are bound to say "we promise that we will feed and water and take the dog out...we promise", but months later it will be you doing all the work

Quote:
We previously had a black lab/golden mix about 2 years ago. She was wonderful with the kids and someone was able to be home with her during the day so she was never without an adult. When we were moving to another state, I had to give her back to the family we adopted her from due to not being able to find a place to rent that would allow pets. It has been 4 years now, and our circumstances are different.
My second concern is if you are willing to be a forever home for him/her. Hindsight says that should have been the case the first go-around, but I was not in your position and therefore will not judge. We can never know if our circumstances will change. For your sake, as well as the sake of your soon-to-be adopted furry family member...I hope they will not change...or that if they do, you will be able to bring him/her with you.

Quote:
So I am hoping that once I tell you about my family, you guys will be able to help us. First, we are a family of seven...5 kids ranging from 4-15. Both my husband and I work full time hours. With the kids school schedules, this dog will be home by himself from 8-4/5. We rent a house that doesn't have a fence, however it will be given a daily walk/run (depending on who's going out that day)...I am not a runner at all .
That is a long time for the pet to be alone by him/herself, but there are many people that are are on that kind of schedule with their pet.

You would do well to talk with a shelter worker, to see which dog at their shelter is kid-friendly. The youngest of your children would not have had experience with a dog since you have been without for that length of time. I am not sure about breed size/bladder size. One would think the ratio would be the same, but it may vary from breed to breed. As I stated before, talk with a shelter worker...better yet, a breed rescue worker...as they typically have stricter adoption policies and will ask those tough questions that a shelter might be more lenient on (not bashing shelters...I have volunteered at a no-kill and sometimes even they were not as thorough as they could have been).

Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! I am hoping that you all can help me. My children are begging for a dog, and I can't figure which one will best fit our lifestyle. We previously had a black lab/golden mix about 2 years ago. She was wonderful with the kids and someone was able to be home with her during the day so she was never without an adult. When we were moving to another state, I had to give her back to the family we adopted her from due to not being able to find a place to rent that would allow pets. It has been 4 years now, and our circumstances are different. So I am hoping that once I tell you about my family, you guys will be able to help us. First, we are a family of seven...5 kids ranging from 4-15. Both my husband and I work full time hours. With the kids school schedules, this dog will be home by himself from 8-4/5. We rent a house that doesn't have a fence, however it will be given a daily walk/run (depending on who's going out that day)...I am not a runner at all .

Due to work, I am not looking to adopt or rescue a puppy as I won't have the time or patience to potty train (I've done enough of that already with 5 kids) I definitely need a dog who is good with kids. I don't need a purebred at all. I had mutts as a child, and they were my best friends. We are set on adopting a dog from a shelter or rescue. Do small dogs have a good bladder? Can you guys suggest a breed that will best fit our needs? I hope I have given enough information.

Thanks!
I would install a doggy door and make sure you have a fully ENCLOSED run for him to go into during the day. People steal dogs at an alarming rate and I would not risk my family member by allowing him access to the back yard unsupervised. If you have a fully enclosed, locked run, the chances that he would turn up missing are considerably less.

If I were to consider getting a dog myself, I'd go with a smaller mixed breed, probably a Shih Tzu or Maltese mix. You get all the benefits of having a dog without the big food bill of having a larger pooch.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would suggest however, getting the dog during the early part of the summer since I'm guessing at least some of the kids will be around during the day. The dog will then be used to the household by the time school starts and less likely to be destructive.

This is the time frame we are looking at adopting. That way our pet will have 11 weeks where he/she will have a chance to get adjusted to our family.

Quote:
My first concern is that your children are willing to accept the responsibilities of having a pet for the life of the pet. You know they are bound to say "we promise that we will feed and water and take the dog out...we promise", but months later it will be you doing all the work
I have no problem taking care of the dog...besides, my kids will leave the nest someday, and I'll still be here with the dog I appreciate you not judging why we do not have our last dog. If circumstances were different she would still be with us. With my husband and I both prior military our family moved alot. We are past that now, and trust me when I say I am tired of moving. Yes, I may be renting, but I do not plan on moving again for a long time. When that time comes, it will only be to my "forever" home that I will own.

While it would be nice to have get a dog walker, I do not want strangers having access to my home. I may not have much, but I've worked long and hard for what I have. With the rough economy these days, even the most trusted person can become a thief.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:28 PM

290 posts, read 637,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak802 View Post
it's cruel to make a dog hold its bladder for so many hours. Get a dog walker to come in the middle of the day to walk the dog. That's what most working people do. It really sounds like you're not ready for a dog. there is no way any of you will have time to play/socialize the dog if you are out 8-5 every day. then comes making dinner, homework, bedtime, etc. And you mentioned you are renting. How can you be sure you'll be at this place for the duration of the dog's life? There is a good chance that the next place you rent won't allow dogs. What then? Give it up again? Sorry to be so blunt, but i volunteer at an animal shelter and we have more owner surrenders now than ever before. Dogs are a huge responsibility and require lots and lots of patience, something you already said you don't have much of. Maybe consider getting an older cat instead.
I totally agree.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia farm girl View Post

I totally agree.
I said I don't have the patience to potty train a puppy. That's exactly why I am looking to adopt an older dog. I do not have the option to stay home like I have done in the past. You make it seem like the only people who are allowed to own dogs are those who don't work and stay home all day. I'm not looking to start an argument here. I was just looking for advice from those who do work and still are able to own a dog. I don't care to hear about how I don't have time for a pet. When I come home from work, I am the one who cooks dinner, my kids already have their homework done before they get home. They will have plenty of time before bedtime to wear each other out. As for bedtime, I'm pretty sure that dogs do not stay up all night.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:48 PM

290 posts, read 637,087 times
Quote:
I said I don't have the patience to potty train a puppy. That's exactly why I am looking to adopt an older dog. I do not have the option to stay home like I have done in the past. You make it seem like the only people who are allowed to own dogs are those who don't work and stay home all day. I'm not looking to start an argument here. I was just looking for advice from those who do work and still are able to own a dog. I don't care to hear about how I don't have time for a pet. When I come home from work, I am the one who cooks dinner, my kids already have their homework done before they get home. They will have plenty of time before bedtime to wear each other out. As for bedtime, I'm pretty sure that dogs do not stay up all night.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/animated%20gifs/wall.gif (broken link)

Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
I think you may have some difficulty adopting from a rescue if you don't have a fenced yard or some other accommodation for the dog, such as a contained dog run, since no one is home much of the day. They ask a lot of questions about such things on the forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs