U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,303 times
Default pumpkin and diarrhea

I just found this article online, hope it's helpful. Our puppy has had soft stool or diarrhea since we got her. She is eating good quality dog food but her stool is still not right. We found out she had Giardia so we treated her for that and she is free of any parasite.

My girlfriends vet told her about pumpkin so I have been researching it. I bought my first can tonight and gave my 37 pound puppy about 2 tbsp. I hope it works. By the way...I just gave it to her in a small measuring cup and she loved it.

Pumpkin for Diarrhea and Constipation

It's quite remarkable that fresh pumpkin cooked and mashed or canned pureed pumpkin (if using canned: do not use the pie filling variety but the 100% natural canned pumpkin) can work wonders for both the occasional bout of diarrhea or for the opposite, constipation in dogs. It has been reported that it firms up dog's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. How much pumpkin should you give? It depends on the size of the dog but as a rule of thumb a couple of teaspoons daily for a small dog or a couple of tablespoons for a large dog. You may have to disguise it in you dog's favorite food.

Last edited by itsagreatdaya58; 05-08-2011 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: there was very poor margins on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,468 times
I have a 11 pound dog that has diarrhea how much pumpkin do i give him. Thank you

Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM

1,240 posts, read 988,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyhubby View Post
I have a 11 pound dog that has diarrhea how much pumpkin do i give him. Thank you
Try a tablespoon per meal. You can see if your dog likes it by feeding it to him by spoon. (They think it's a treat.)

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,791,119 times
Quick tip: If you are not going to use up a whole can you can put the pumpkin in to ice cube trays and freeze it. Once frozen pop them out and store in a zip lock bag. When you need to use thaw one out first before adding to food.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,394 times
Default pumpkin for rottie

was wondering how much for a 99lb female rottie of canned pumpkin a day. she went to vet today for shots&is a tad bit over weight. cut her food back to 2 1/2 cups daily added 2 cups green beans but poor thing is still lookin for more food. vet suggested pumpkin. any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,792 times
My dog, Buddy, is a walking testament to what a good natural food can do for you and your dog. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on medicine and different type of 'kibbles and bits' type food. The last 'kibbles and bits' was Natural Balance - Venison formula. This was highly recommended by my dog allergist. Yes, Buddy's allergies are that bad.

To summarize, he got the allergy testing (around 600, if I remember correctly), weekly allergy maintenance shots ($150 every 5 months), an allergy shampoo bath 3x a week, and the occasional skins infection during the heavy allergy season. Fast forward 3 years...in comes holistic vet. I never believed in this stuff but my dog developed a resistance to almost every antibiotic because of its heavy usage so I had no choice.
Before Purina and Pedigree dog food was around, what did we feed our dogs? If you said food, you are correct. Not some potassium nitric xyz that in those ‘kibbles and bits’. We fed them, chicken, steak, vegetables, eggs, etc...And dogs were a lot healthier back then than they are now. Too long to write all this stuff up but if you research it, you'll learn that real food will do your dog a lot of good. No matter what those ‘holistic’ or ‘natural’ dry foods advertise, it needs to add chemicals in order to preserve the food. And those chemicals are the toxins that are making our pets sick.
All in all, if you want your pet to grow up healthy, spend the money on real food. This is Buddy's (49lb mixed beagle) diet plan recommended by his holistic vet; (Prepare to dig deep into your wallet/purse)

Boiled turkey breast - Handful (I chop the turkey breast in chunks)
Chicken liver - about 4 pieces
Wild caught canned salmon - 1 big tablespoon
Cottage Cheese - 1 big tablespoon
Carrot/Green Beans

Mix it all up and let your dog enjoy the beauty of real food. My dog does. No more skin infection. Coat never looked better. He still licks his paws once-in-a-while during heavy allergy season but that's not me and my sneezing - it's there but it's not taking over our lives.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,764,577 times
Pumpkin is a mild help for gi/stools. Oat bran balances much better if there's an issue- it regulates too soft or too hard stools.

We used this all the time on our megaesophagus board because pumpkin was not "enough" for everyone. It works on humans, too. Our dogs eat a wierd diet to help the food stay down and not pass through too quickly without being absorbed and the fat and protein have to be low to prevent acid reflux. Some use it cooked and others used it dry (but added to wet/liquid diet).

The question is why are you doing pumpkin to begin with? I missed it. Is his stool normal?

For the dog with prevent bladder problems? What did she mean by impaction? Constipation? How did that resolve- maybe I missed that part? I'm not so sure that pumpkin is the right answer for a serious problem like that. Did she rule out a motility problem because I never heard of that chronic problem with bladder issues because of constipation and I thought I heard it all LOL. But I'd switch to HIlls ID prescription food if you have a gi issue to see if it changes or regulates. It's a miracle food regardless of the ingredients being criticized. They're all in there for a reason and other things like extra B12 support.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-13-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,764,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkim11 View Post
My dog, Buddy, is a walking testament to what a good natural food can do for you and your dog. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on medicine and different type of 'kibbles and bits' type food. The last 'kibbles and bits' was Natural Balance - Venison formula. This was highly recommended by my dog allergist. Yes, Buddy's allergies are that bad.

To summarize, he got the allergy testing (around 600, if I remember correctly), weekly allergy maintenance shots ($150 every 5 months), an allergy shampoo bath 3x a week, and the occasional skins infection during the heavy allergy season. Fast forward 3 years...in comes holistic vet. I never believed in this stuff but my dog developed a resistance to almost every antibiotic because of its heavy usage so I had no choice.
Before Purina and Pedigree dog food was around, what did we feed our dogs? If you said food, you are correct. Not some potassium nitric xyz that in those ‘kibbles and bits’. We fed them, chicken, steak, vegetables, eggs, etc...And dogs were a lot healthier back then than they are now. Too long to write all this stuff up but if you research it, you'll learn that real food will do your dog a lot of good. No matter what those ‘holistic’ or ‘natural’ dry foods advertise, it needs to add chemicals in order to preserve the food. And those chemicals are the toxins that are making our pets sick.
All in all, if you want your pet to grow up healthy, spend the money on real food. This is Buddy's (49lb mixed beagle) diet plan recommended by his holistic vet; (Prepare to dig deep into your wallet/purse)

Boiled turkey breast - Handful (I chop the turkey breast in chunks)
Chicken liver - about 4 pieces
Wild caught canned salmon - 1 big tablespoon
Cottage Cheese - 1 big tablespoon
Carrot/Green Beans

Mix it all up and let your dog enjoy the beauty of real food. My dog does. No more skin infection. Coat never looked better. He still licks his paws once-in-a-while during heavy allergy season but that's not me and my sneezing - it's there but it's not taking over our lives.
It can be done. And it can be tricky.

Home-Prepared Dog Food – How to Make a Balanced Diet - Whole Dog Journal Article

And yes of course they love it. When I fed raw my bulldog would "complain" if there were no collard greens in the food!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,726 times
How much pumpkin should I give my 88 pound dog. He has trouble some times going poop. Can any body help he is 7 years old

Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,912 times
2 limitations in the quantity of pumpkin 1.health issue: too much vitamin A - you should search the net on how much it contains and how much vit.A you can give your dog (based on dog weight) also take in the ecuation other vitamins or foods you give your dog daily and how much vit A they contain. 2.home and garden landskaping: too much fiber, resulting in a big poop pile .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs