Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker54 View Post
How much pumpkin should I give my 88 pound dog. He has trouble some times going poop. Can any body help he is 7 years old
Is he just eating dog food or other stuff?

If a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin doesn't help, try a little Oat Bran. It's in the grocery store by the oatmeal usually on the top shelf in a red box smaller than regular oatmeal. (Quaker, for example) Either sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons on his food or about 1/4 cup cooked. Don't get carried away it's effective in smallish amounts.

If you're giving him treats like rawhide or pig ears etc, stop them. Also stuff like biscuits (treats).

Another option is Metamucil. I would ask your vet about it, unless you already know it's because of what he is eating which is easy to stop by not allowing access to those foods.

If he's not eating junk food, think about changing to a higher quality food that has a little more fat in it. Read the label on his current food and compare the percentage to the "better" foods. Sometimes these better foods result in a little soft stool, occasionally dogs bodies react differently to the different brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,140 times
Default pumpkin for dogs

I have a 13 week old german shepherd that had loose stools so I started him out with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin ( 100 % pumpkin canned ) twice a day & it hardened his stool overnight. He loved it. I now feed him pumpkin twice a day with his kibble puppy food Iams puppy chow with 3 tablespoons added & mixed with his food. The third feeding just kibble. He eats 3 times a day 2 cups of kibble at every meal. Not only is his stool constantly firm but he is extremely healthy. If people need Fiber, why not a dog. Shadow is now 25 lbs. I intend on continuing his pumpkin throughout his growing period but will moniter his success with as I go along. I wish I knew about pumkin with my now deceased dogs.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,223 times
LOOSE STOOL........
My Greyhound has a tricky digestive track. Tried changing food brands. Yogurt. Oatmeal....
Has anyone used 100% canned pumpkin to firm up loose stools?
Spry

Old 12-30-2014, 05:03 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hi everyone!

OK, so Artie had his anal sacs expressed today and, boy, does he feel better. Well, I assume so!

While at the vet, I told her that I'd been feeding him broccoli for fiber but that so many of you guys and gals suggested pumpkin. She was all aboard with the pumpkin and so we picked up a can (not pie filling; just plain pumpkin) on the way home. I gave some to Artie and he LOVES it! I'm thrilled.

Now... I asked the vet how much pumpkin I could/should give him. She said 2-3 tablespoons, 2-3 times per day. That could be up to 9 tablespoons per day!!! Not only did I think that was excessive, I thought that could be a recipe (no pun intended) for diarrhea. I didn't get into a lengthy discussion with her about it, though, because Artie was soooo ready to leave the vet already.

So, what say you pumpkin pushers? Artie weighs 35 pounds and gets quite a bit of exercise. How much do you think I should give him (per day)?

PS. I'm going to be giving it to him as a "treat" as opposed to with his normal meals.

Thanks in advance for your advice. You folks always know your stuff!

Dawn

I have a 26-lb. Cocker to whom I give between a tsp. and a tbsp., 2x a day, or one heaping tablespoon per day, of canned pumpkin.

I started giving canned pumpkin to my dogs many years ago, when my last dog (died in 2009) was a pup, and was eating her own feces. I added the canned pumpkin to her food, and she never ate feces again. I think that when I started giving it to her, I gave her about 1/2 cup per day, but I may be wrong; I did downsize the dose. She weighed about 35-38 lbs. in maturity.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Wow, that seems like a lot for a 35lb dog. My dogs are 160 and 150 lbs. and I usually give them one heaping spoonful each. I also do a spoonful of plain yogurt with the probiotics in it.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,455 times
I just got a GSD puppy, she's 9 months old. Can I give her pumpkin and if so how much? I just lost our GSD fur son a month ago to stomach bloat and couldn't bare to live through that again with our new baby.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 PM

150 posts, read 223,196 times
I've been giving a couple of tablespoons a day to my English Bulldog.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
We have a 30# dog who tends to have turds that you could hammer a nail with. We feed her 2 -3 tbs of pumpkin or cooked butternut squash twice a day with her kibble and a couple of spoonfuls of soft food and some water as she's not a drinker. It keeps her regular and softens her poo. Our old Airedale (passed on sadly) tended to have the opposition problem and pumpkin firmed her stools up. We fed her 3 tbs, twice a day with her food. No exact formula. We've never had pumpkin work for the ill but it might if you really overdo it.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,302 times
Just found this article with helpful info about dogs and the health benefits of pumpkins.
https://www.dogids.com/blog/pumpkin-for-dogs/

Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
I fed my Westie a diet rotating chopped up grond beef (6 to 8 oz)cooked, canned salmon, canned chicken with chopped up veggies i ,broccoli,carrots, green beans ,zucchini (in a blender) and 2 Tsp of cooked sweetpotato added a 1Tbs of low fat milk as a moisture to aid in binding all items into a ball weight was 13 oz same as any canned dog food.Gave this to him once daily. He had terrible allergies lost most of his hair as a puppy Baylee passed in Nov. he was 17yrs and 7 months old. Wow do we miss him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs