U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,955,347 times

Advertisements

I don't go by the 'bag' recommendations because we change kibble a lot. (good quality like Canidae)

I also give my dog some sort of meat per meal and often some veggies and starch to help vary the kibble.

I don't believe in just 'eventually' letting the dog eat what you leave (dry old kibble) because he or she gets hungry and will eat anything. I believe in giving him/her a bit of something tasty.

I am concerned my dog is not eating enough. She will eat some kibble and the 'goodies' then turn around and sit down and lick her chops and bother me for more food (although she will have kibble left).

I try to ignore her but then she will stare at us eating our meals which makes me annoyed and I ban her from the area or ignore her. This is not the problem, though. It's worrying she is not getting enough to eat.

I thought 'if they were hungry enough' they'd eat kibble in the bowl but she will not. She will sit and whine or nudge us.

I don't give in but I am worried she is not getting enough to eat.
She has energy, she jumps around.

But as a part lab, she's 'always hungry.'
She gets a few treats (some hotdogs or dog biscuits) a day.

I give her 2 meals a day.
She weighs about 50 lbs.

I've tried leaving kibble in the bowl between to let her have something but she ignores it. I have also taken up the food after a few minutes.

Point of this long message...how do you know 'how much' is right and 'how little' is not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Running your hands over your dog and down her sides, you should be able to feel (but not necessarily see) her ribs.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,955,347 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,625,007 times
That is a good question. We have a puppy that eats and eats and eats!!! We give him food about three times a day, but I swear he would eat the entire bag if we let him! He's a growing boy I know, but no one wants a fat dog!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 PM

5,045 posts, read 8,446,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
That is a good question. We have a puppy that eats and eats and eats!!! We give him food about three times a day, but I swear he would eat the entire bag if we let him! He's a growing boy I know, but no one wants a fat dog!
What are you feeding your puppy?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
In addition to what ViralMD said, your dog should also eat his/her food in a short period of time. The food should not be left out for more than 30 minutes. If the dog doesn't eat inside of that time frame, the dog is probably overfed (assuming there are no health issues, of course).

I have more than one dog, so food is inhaled within minutes, LOL . There's some competition between my 2 females, so I have no problems with them eating all their kibble immediately upon serving. Any human food is usually served after kibble and the kibble portion is lessened to compensate for the human food. I also feed twice a day with few treats in between meals and sometimes days with no treats (and they're fine with that).

I know that even a little extra weight on a dog is too much, so I keep a close eye on how they look. As Viral said, you should be able to feel but not quite see the ribs and you should see a nice upward curve from the ribs up to the hind legs.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 6,718,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't go by the 'bag' recommendations because we change kibble a lot. (good quality like Canidae)

My question is, how "a lot" are you changing kibble and why?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,711,606 times
depending on the sex, the race, gender, weight, etc. your vet can tell you how much food your dog need. touching their bellies is not the most accurate way to know. a lot of people let the puppies eat too much and obesity is not good when they are growing because of the bones, etc (well... it's never good but you got the point ). and a puppy can eat all day if food is available...!

remember every brand is different so the amounts can be different because of this also.

ask your vet and enjoy your doggies ^_^

Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,260,995 times
While a dog can detect whether something is sweet or salty, the taste buds are poor in relation to human senses in that department. We may think they go crazy at the thought of those barbecue burgers with the secret family sauce dropping down to the ground but they'd be just as happy to have them raw out of the package. Probably like them better as raw wouldn't upset their stomach so much.

Here's our way of feeding our dogs, three of them, all healthy and on the same diet for years. Dry dog food, Iams Mini-Chunks to be exact. Now it did take a while to find something they all agreed on. It also took some time to sort out what agreed with their systems as far as rashes and so on. One of them had a particularly bad response to one of the better brands, a terrible rash which went away when we went to the brand mentioned above. An allergic reaction in all likelihood. Treats are limited to a raw egg (shells included) mixed with raw burger once in a while, a Milk Bone now and then doesn't hurt. Maybe a raw chicken thigh if there's extra. But treats aren't required.

Free feeding is the norm, three bowls always filled. Usually they'll finish a bowl a day, maybe eat the leftovers from another. But they won't touch them once we refill them, until the next day that is. Self regulation seems to work for them.

Settle on one food and experiment on just how much she'll consume in one day. Easy on the treats until a routine is found. Ignore the begging. And forget the hot dogs, the salt and other ingredients really don't sit well on a dog's stomach. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,044,957 times
I have the same question, in a sense. My dog (male, boxer and rottweiler mix, very good and athletic figure) does not always eat his meal that I put out for him. Yesterday, he didn't eat at all. Today, he ate both his meals, which is normal b/c I feed him twice a day. The problem is, he stayed with my parents for awhile, and they always added "stuff" to his food bowl, so of course if there is extra stuff (leftovers, etc.) in there, he goes at it. I did not want him to always expect "extras" in his bowl, so I figured that I would feed him his food, and when he was hungry, he would eat.

Well, he generally does eat his food, but sometimes I feel like he's holding out. Maybe he thinks if he holds out, he'll get something better, LOL? I don't want him to be spoiled in that sense (he's already spoiled with more love and pretty much everything he can have LOL).

Any ideas....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs