Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:03 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times

Advertisements

My dogs are worked daily in the obedience basics. Sit before feeding, sit and stay when I answer the door, go lay down (on their dog beds or in their kennels) and since I walk them twice a day, they are constantly reinforced on leash manners too. Now a visit to Petsmart is always still a challenge. I am still working with them to keep them calm and controlled around uncontrolled dogs (and uncontrolled owners for that matter) and to not grab toys or treats that are within their reach. Constant and CONSISTANT training is the only way to handle 4 eighty pound dogs on leash at once. Without it......well just visualize the chariot race scene from Ben Hur!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Since we are talking training I have two funny obedience class stories. By the time my dogs got to these classes they already knew most of the stuff and the woman that taught the class knew that. In Jazz's class the first day she was very interested in the instructor and was out front wagging her tail in hopes of being picked as a demo dog. Second class the teacher picked a spoiled little dog that had issues about even being on a leash to use as a demo.Well the little dog pitched a major fit, thrashed, howled and cried before it finally decided to work for the treat. Jazz saw that and after that she wanted nothing to do with the instructor as in Jazz's eyes she made that little dog cry. When the instructor would be looking for a dog to use as a demo Jazz would step behind me and look away. She did everything in class perfect as she did not want to deal with that crazy instructor that made the little dog cry!

When Dash took the class he would be out front wiggling his whole back end pleading to be picked as the demo dog. He was too cute but she would usually not pick him as she knew he would do what he was supposed too.She wanted a dog that would mess up so she could show everyone how to deal with it Week after week he pleaded to be picked. Why you may ask? Well it was a positive training class that involved treats and Dash will do anything for a treat. His motto is he never met a treat he did not like. The last week we went to a shopping center and sat outside a frozen yogurt store so they would get use to all the people traffic and behave in such a situation. The instructor went inside and got a frozen yogurt and with permission the dogs that behaved were then given a spoonful. Dash got his spoonful and was in heaven. When she got to the last spoonful and was looking for which dog to give it too which would mean that dog was the lucky one who got two spoonfuls, Dash popped up wiggled his whole body "pick me,pick me" . Being an aussie owner she was unable to resist that butt wiggle and he finally got picked. She told him to sit and wait then gave him his reward the last spoonful of yogurt. He always knew that butt wiggle would come in handy some day!

Training is a never ending and just becomes a way of life for many.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
As I browse through the threads on here I'm shocked at how many issues seem to be based in lack of training. My husband is horrible about that as well. He keeps 'humanizing' our dogs, thinking they love him and that they have the same emotions that humans do. I keep trying to get him to realize they're not people; they have different emotional / social needs.

I've always worked my dogs at least several days a week in obedience. They go for walks every single chance I get. I have strict rules in the house. There are places they are and are not allowed. Behaviors that are and are not allowed. For instance, I do allow my dogs once in a while to have table scraps, but never ever at the table. And the dogs know when we eat they are not allowed in the dining room for any reason, period. When it's time to give them scraps I go to the kitchen to do it and they are expected to wait for me to call them.

I've got 11 dogs in my house right now, all rescues, 4 of them foster dogs. A GSD, 2 rotties, 2 cockers, a rat terrier and 5 chihuahuas. They all get along well; I don't have any fighting ever for any reason. And they follow the rules.

They're not perfect; don't get me wrong. They occasionally push the rules to make sure they still apply and that I'm willing to follow through. But I've got a peaceful, very full home. And because of it, my dogs obey me. I don't have the behavior issues.

The more I talk to people and the more I read though, I wonder if I'm the only weirdo out there like that.....
My husband and I do the same. We own 3 wonderful American Pit Bull Terriers and we work with them on a daily basis, even if it's just for 5 mins. I like to work with them as often as I can, it's good for them to have some one-on-one time with us and actually do something. We also walk them several times a day. They get 2-3 45-60 min walks everyday. APBTs are high energy working dogs and they need to get rid of all of that energy and feel like they are working. Also like you, we have set rules for our dogs for both inside and outside of our home, and we do make them follow those rules. For example, our dogs are never allowed in the kitchen for any reason and they know that. They are allowed on our bed and on the sofas, but only when we invite them up. When they are outside they are always on a leash unless they are in a fenced in backyard, and when they are walking on a leash they are not ever allowed to walk infront of us. They have to stay next to us or behind us. IMHO, dogs are so much happier when they have rules and when they know their place in their "pack". We also try to stick to a schedule as much as possible because I think that that is good for dogs aswell.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I feel like such a slacker!

I know what I'm supposed to do (such as make him sit for treats) but I'm the world's worst trainer. I'm a lover, not a trainer. (I know; I could be both...)

OK, do any of you want to come over and train my dog not to bark and lunge? Come on... I'll rub your belly!

Happy New Year everyone. You've all been such great resources for me and I hope to learn more in 2009 so that I can be a great resource for you one day.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I feel like such a slacker!

I know what I'm supposed to do (such as make him sit for treats) but I'm the world's worst trainer. I'm a lover, not a trainer. (I know; I could be both...)

OK, do any of you want to come over and train my dog not to bark and lunge? Come on... I'll rub your belly!

Happy New Year everyone. You've all been such great resources for me and I hope to learn more in 2009 so that I can be a great resource for you one day.
LOL....It looks like you could have a new New Year's Resolution! Is there a friend that you have that has a dog? Maybe work together. It is always more fun when there is someone else along to giggle and laugh with...and of course train too! If you can...dog clubs always have training classes...novice to however high you are inclined to go. Great way to meet more animal lovers like yourself, train and learn great training tips and socialize the dog as well. Win-win situation! Once you get going, it is almost impossible to NOT incorporate what you have learned into your daily living routine.
PS....Come onnnnnnnnnnnn down to Texas....I'd love to help you train!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL....It looks like you could have a new New Year's Resolution! Is there a friend that you have that has a dog? Maybe work together. It is always more fun when there is someone else along to giggle and laugh with...and of course train too! If you can...dog clubs always have training classes...novice to however high you are inclined to go. Great way to meet more animal lovers like yourself, train and learn great training tips and socialize the dog as well. Win-win situation! Once you get going, it is almost impossible to NOT incorporate what you have learned into your daily living routine.
PS....Come onnnnnnnnnnnn down to Texas....I'd love to help you train!
I wish I could come to Texas and play (errr, I mean train) with you!

It's funny that you should say that about New Year's resolutions, though, because I told my husband just last week that I was going to be "better" about working with Artie, not letting him get away with pulling on the leash, barking and lunging at anything that moves, making him sit for treats, etc... I really want to stick with that so that I can have a better-behaved furry boy.

I do have friends with dogs but Artie isn't the friendliest crayon in the box, when it comes to other dogs. There are a few dogs in the neighborhood that he's buddies with, but that's taken a lot of time and work (and patience).

I always wanted the friendly dog in the neighborhood, one that all the kids would gravitate to and want to play with. But Artie's not that boy.

We rescued him a year and a half ago, when he was 3 and a half years old. He'd been living with a terrific woman who had to give him up because she traveled so much. But, prior to that, as a puppy, he'd been abused. From what I've heard from trainers (and we do have a contract with Bark Busters, and Artie's terrific and well-behaved with the trainer, just not with me...) is that his puppy experience has made him a classic bully. When on a leash, his "fight or flight" options are removed -- he's only left with "fight" -- and he's also protective of me.

Anyway, that was a long story just to say: I'm making it my 2009 mission to make him a more well-behaved boy (with me he's a total cuddlebug, so we're doing just fine there) but if the year ends up being a dud, look for us to arrive in Texas in early 2010 to hang out with you!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I would love ideas how to work with my English pointer/lab. She's a smart girl, only a year old, bored most of the time, but I don't have HOURS to dedicate to her. (I'm home all day but she's needy!!!).
I got this book when a friend recommended it for our now 10-month old GSD.
101 Dog Tricks: Step-by-Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog

We work on tricks for about 1/2 hr a day, that's it. Our puppy already knows the basic sit, stay, come, lie down, etc, so we're only working on the fun tricks. And it is a blessing in disguise to have a treat motivated dog, it is so much easier to train them!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
I got this book when a friend recommended it for our now 10-month old GSD.
101 Dog Tricks: Step-by-Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog

We work on tricks for about 1/2 hr a day, that's it. Our puppy already knows the basic sit, stay, come, lie down, etc, so we're only working on the fun tricks. And it is a blessing in disguise to have a treat motivated dog, it is so much easier to train them!
Thanks for the heads up on the book! I just had it sent to my daughter for Repo

Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM

110 posts, read 294,116 times
I work with Mr. Baxter, but he's so good to start with, that it is a little hard. We are working at stopping and sitting when we get to intersections and road crossings though. I have terrible visions of him getting ahead of me and some stupid person running a light, or him getting away during a red light and getting hit. Also we are working on "singing." I howl, he howls, we make beautiful music. But he's not very vocal to start with, so he does this horrible gaspy air sound, like he's being strangled. It's pretty hilarious....needless to say, we need some more practice before we can make structured melodies....

Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Looks like lots of people train their dogs! Cool!

We're like y'all. Not one single bite of food gets into our dogs' mouths without them earning it first (with a trick or obeying a command). Even dinner is served with them sitting, the food is placed on the floor, and they wait till the release command is given before they may eat. This is now unspoken except for the release command. They know the drill.

Our trainer never said anything about throwing vs handing treats, but she did make us teach the dog how to gently take things from your hand. My older dog prefers catching hers in the air, anyway.

We'll be raising our new puppy in the same fashion as our older collie. She just turned out so well. Hopefully the little one will catch on to frisbee, too. Great workout! Wear out a dog super-fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs