Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As many of you suggested when I was talking about Artie's soft stools and need to have his anal sacs expressed, I have begun to give him canned pumpkin (plain, not the pie filling stuff).

I gave him two tablespoons on Saturday. On Sunday, on one of our walks, he had diarrhea. I chalked it up to his being uptight in new surroundings (we were at a park that he'd never been to). His evening stool was much firmer.

This morning (Monday), I gave him a tablespoon with his breakfast. He loved it, of course, but on his walk a couple of hours later, he had diarrhea again.

Could this be a reaction to the pumpkin? Should I stop giving it to him, or is he just reacting to it because it's something new in his diet?

I had hoped that the pumpkin would make his stools firmer, but it seems to be doing the opposite.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Pumpkin is also used to relieve dog constipation ...

Maybe give less? What food does he eat?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Pumpkin is also used to relieve dog constipation ...

Maybe give less? What food does he eat?
Hmmmm. He's never been constipated.

I'm in the midst of transitioning him from IAMS kibble to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul kibble, but that's been going on for a while now, with no adverse reaction. The pumpkin is the only new factor.

Is there something that will only act as a stool firmer, if not pumpkin?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
I bet it's the food changes - I don't totally understand the deal with pumpkin because I know people use it both as a stool firmer and to relieve constipation! And apparently it works for both!

I've been dealing with similar issues lately as I tried to switch my dog from Innova regular to Evo, but she really had runny poop on it (yuck). I just switched her back to the Innova regular but she was boarded for several days and is now having the issues again. So I'll watch this thread carefully...

Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,967 times
When mine had soft ones the vet said it could be food allergies. I switched slowly to fish and potato allergy Natural Balance and they improved. Don't know if it was a coincidence but we are better and she likes the allergy food. No bad ingredients like wheat or corn.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
If he has been checked out by the vet and nothing else is going on then it could be the food. I would not bother with pumpkin if it's not working. It should of worked by now. I will give my dog Imodium and that usually does the trick. How long has he been on the new food? I give my dogs at least a month before I go on to something else.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
You can stop the pumpkin and see how things are going. If the stools frim up then just stick with the dog food.

My female is 12 and my male is seven, they eat their Canidae with a little olive oil on it (we live in an arid climate) and they've done well.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM

138 posts, read 618,750 times
I only put 1 tablespoon on my girls breakfast. They are 20 pounds each. I would maybe cut back on it and slowly add it to his diet and work up to adding it every day if that is the route you want to take. It sounds like it may be too much too soon for his digestive system. I saw your thread about how much your vet suggested. I would definitely not give that much. Too much will cause weight gain.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I didn't give him any pumpkin yesterday or today, and his latest stool is firmer. So, I think the pumpkin was the culprit.

It's very confusing that it's a remedy for soft stools AND for constipation. Artie just has the soft stool problem, sometimes. I think that if his stool gets soft again, I'll try to introduce a little bit of pumpkin back in, a bit at a time, and see if that makes a difference. But I'd NEVER give him what the vet recommended -- that was just nutso.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs