U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 40,941 times

Advertisements

I recently adopted an almost 3 year old Chihuahua named Nelly. She is female, neutured, completely healthy, and was house trained by her previous owners.

I had her 4 months and she had a few minor accidents, but always went on her pee pads. I noticed that she would only pee or poop when I left the house though. Days I didn't have anywhere to go, she would hold it all day and end up doing it on the carpet. I always reward her with a treat when she does go on the pee pads.

2 weeks ago, my husband came back from Iraq. Nelly ADORES my husband....she prefers him over me now it seems, but for the last 2 weeks she's been peeing and pooping all over the house! She will only use her pee pads when we leave the house.

I have tried to confine her in one room with her pee pads and a baby gate - that hasn't worked. We have tried to scold her when she pees on the carpet and only reward her when she goes on the pee pads. It's a daily occurance that she goes somewhere in the house (never the same place???) and my husband is talking about getting rid of her!

Has anyone ever dealt with this!!?? HELP!! I have done so much research and its overwhelming. I don't know if this is a dominance issue, or her needing to be re-trained again. I know that having a new man in the house may be part of it, but she LOVES him and he gives her more attention and affection than I ever did...so I just don't get it.

Any tips or suggestions would be great! Thanks, Sarah
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 8,211,089 times
Would do as you're doing but confine her to the room you're in (naturally she won't be happy staying in a gated-off room away from all the activity). She's less likely to 'go' where you are. An alternative w/b to tether her to yourself (w/ a leash) so she's not more than a foot or 2 away.

A thought - has she been checked for a urinary tract infection? The piddling c/b medical. Would want to rule that out first.

Accidents are certainly no reason to get rid of her and personally I don't 'get' it - she adores your husband and after just 2 wks home, he's ready to dump her - ??

The accidents could also be a result of the fact she's getting less attention now, w/ him home etc. Would really try to keep on top of it and would probably try to housebreak her rather than potty-pad train her, it's good for them to get some fresh air and have quick trips outside if at all possible.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,827,646 times
ABSOLUTELY rule out any urinary tract infection!!!

And how are you cleaning up her accidents?? If you're not using an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution, that could well be part of your problem.

I hope you're not scolding her for accidents! Because that will only make things worse. She's going to think that peeing and pooping are bad and will go where you won't see it until you step into it.

You can either train her to go outside or confine her in a room that's wall-to-wall pads. But DO continue rewarding her with chicken, cheese or steak for the right thing! It can't be cruddy treats from the store. Find one of my posts with my housetraining method, follow it TO THE LETTER and you'll have a trained dog - not right away, but eventually.

If she goes where she's not supposed to, it's YOUR fault, not hers, because you let her into areas where it would upset you if she had an accident.

And I agree: this is no reason to get rid of a dog.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM

16,490 posts, read 31,389,235 times
My daughter fosers a lot of dogs and she has had to use the leash method before. It works. You keep the dog right next to you and when they make a move, you know it and can take them where they're supposed to go. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,631,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My daughter fosers a lot of dogs and she has had to use the leash method before. It works. You keep the dog right next to you and when they make a move, you know it and can take them where they're supposed to go. Good luck!

The fact that your dog only pees or poops when you aren't around is troubling. Many times dogs exhibit this behavior when they've been punished for going in the wrong place. They don't understand why they've been scolded, so they just don't go when someone is around. And, because they still don't understand what's expected of them, they pick somewhere out of sight to go. Your scolding her has probably made things worse. (I'm not trying to make you feel bad.)

Also, peepads are confusing to some dogs. They don't easily differentiate between a peepad where they are allowed to go, and a carpet or rug where they are not. To them, they are all soft surfaces. And some dogs do have a substrate preference. I'd rethink the peepad thing, but if that's what you want to do, you'll need to train her to go ONLY on peepads.

You need to start over with this dog. Retrain her. Follow ViralMD's directions, they work: http://www.city-data.com/forum/6446831-post5.html.

You will need to be consistent. You can never let her out of your sight. When your dog is not crated, attach her leash to your waist.

Remember, if she goes somewhere inappropriate, it is your fault, not hers.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,587,359 times
I also think you need to get rid of the pee pads. You need to start training her to go outside. Doesn't matter how old she is, with love, patients, lots of yummy treats and lots and lots of praise, you can house break her.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 PM

4,356 posts, read 8,610,149 times
Little dogs have little bladders and have to go out more often. So it is not always a training problem. They just have to be let out every couple of hours. My little male Chi has alot of accidents in the house but not pee. He will always lift his leg outside, I let him out every couple of hours. It is the poop thing that is the problem. He will poop outside first thing in the morning unless it is toooo cold, then he wants in right away. He will always poop late at night outside but he will drop some tootsie rolls during the day inside the house. They are tiny so I just pick them up with a little napkin. I only had the wee wee pads for him when I first got him as a tiny pup and kept him in the playpen.
Little dogs do not like to go out when it is too cold so they will do their business in the house. Especially the little girls! There is no perfect dog as people. You just have to have some patience with them and love them even with their faults and try to make the best of what you can do to rectify the problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 40,941 times
Thank you all so much! We plan to retrain her and will no longer be confining her in the kitchen with the baby gate. I want her to have free roam of the house and she is ALWAYS by our side, so I dont even need to use the leash. She immediately runs to us and snuggles on our lap, and if we get up to walk to another room, she follows us! Shes so sweet and a very very loving dog. So, I have no problem doing whatever it takes to make this work.

In regards to the scolding, I do know her previous owners were CRUEL! They kept her locked in a bathroom all day.....I know they never took her outside and probably didnt give her any love or attention either. When I got her, we both fell in love with each other and she's definately getting the much needed affection she was lacking for the first two years of her life. My kids love her so much too, and she gets a lot of exercize playing with them.

My hubby and I agreed that we will no longer scold her and just start over with training her. Ive read that Chi's are already very fearful dogs and she shakes a lot, so I dont want to make her have anxiety or anything. Her accidents aren't that bad, and I'm sure that with some time and patience, we can teach her where to go. So....now I need some help on re-training her! HA HA I will repost in a week or two if nothing seems to help. Thanks all for your tips and comments!!!! Sarah

Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,827,646 times
You're going to need to be MORE PATIENT than for a week or two. Re-training, especially a fearful dog, takes MUCH more time.

And if you let her go everywhere with you, you should EXPECT that she's going to eliminate where you're going to be upset about it. Invest in a BIG bottle of Nature's Miracle.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM

9,063 posts, read 16,547,402 times
You need to be taking her outside often, even if it's every hour when you are home. A peepee pad is meant to be a temporary thing for when you can't take them out like you should, it's not supposed to be an everyday thing. When you are planning on leaving give the dog about 10-15 minutes outside first. All dogs really prefer to go outside as nature intended, and once she gets in that habit she will not wan't to go inside anymore unless she can't hold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs