Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
The best place to bury a loyal dog is in the heart of its master. --Ben Hur Lampman

When Whiskey died, my sister said the most comforting words to help me. She said, "When the time is right, Whiskey will send down another dog for you to love." That gave me so much comfort in such a difficult time.
I think eggalegga said it best! When the time is right, you''ll find your new companion and you will form a new and wonderful bond.

I had a trio that I had for many years. Gizmo, Tigger and Tyra.
Gizmo the cat was 14 when I had to put her to sleep and Tigger (dog) was 15 when his time came. Tyra (dog) was 16 when she escaped the yard and was hit by a car. My heart was broken. The last of the Fabulous Three was gone. They were my best friends.

After weeks, my hubby couldn't stand seeing me so sad anymore. He took me to the shelter and we found Emme. At first, I couldn't imagine ever caring for her like the others but little by little she wormed her way into my heart. I realized something then. Just because a much loved pet is no longer in your life doesn't mean that your heart doesn't have room for another. The fond memory just steps to the side a little to make room for the new addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post

After weeks, my hubby couldn't stand seeing me so sad anymore. He took me to the shelter and we found Emme. At first, I couldn't imagine ever caring for her like the others but little by little she wormed her way into my heart. I realized something then. Just because a much loved pet is no longer in your life doesn't mean that your heart doesn't have room for another. The fond memory just steps to the side a little to make room for the new addition.
Well, I won't be able to pick out a dog on my own. I'm a "take care of" and "rescue" type personality. Either some day some one will hand me a dog or one will appear at my feet tired and beaten, flea bit and emaciated, which is how I found my original dog.

But I will not choose a dog, that is for sure.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
When you lost a dog, when did you get a new one?

How do you choose a new one?

Did you feel lost without a dog?

I always thought that when my dog passed, I would not get another, because I wanted to free up my life to travel and so on. But now that she is gone, I'm not sure what to do with myself anymore. I have no reason to wake up in the morning. No reason to walk in the fields. Nothing to come home to.

It's as if the light in my life has gone out.
I usually like waiting until my current dog is 7 or 8 years old before I get another dog. Then when I have to put down the older dog at 13 or 14, I still have a 5 or 6 year old dog to come home to, which makes it a little easier.

However, after I put down my last dog at age 13, my 5 year-old Alaskan Husky became very despondent and lethargic. She wouldn't even bark at the usual suspects in the neighborhood, like she always did before. Even though both dogs didn't appear to get along very well, there was obviously some sort of bond between them. So for the benefit of my Alaskan Husky I got another puppy about 3 months after I had do put down my last dog. I noticed an immediate improvement in her demeanor.

I prefer aggressive dogs, not the happy-go-lucky family type of dog. As 8 week old puppies I pick them up and flip them on their back and scratch their tummy. If they lay there and enjoy the scratching, I find another puppy. If they struggle, and even bite me, in order to right themselves and completely ignore the scratching, then THAT is my kind of dog.

I could not enjoy life as much without a dog being part of it. Every dog is different, each with their own personality, but one thing they all have in common is that they will jump for joy and treat you as if you have been gone an entire year each and every day you come home from work. Only dogs have that kind of loyalty and love for their owners.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-05-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Please forgive me....I am just now able to read the entire thread through. I didn't want to jump in without doing so first. First, my sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved furkid. My heart truly aches for you.
Everyone reacts differently in the passing of their animals. Some feel the need to have another furkid to help ease the pain. Others feel as tho it is being unfaithful to the deceased animal.
Neither is right or wrong. My other animals helped carry me through the passing of my last dog. He was my heart- We had a bond that very few ever expeirence... and I was sure I would die from the pain. Even as I type, I have tears and it has been 5 years since I had to say good-bye to him.
The one thing you can not do is compare. To hold all dogs up to your former dog is so unfair to them all. You will find that dog...somewhere, somehow, and you'll feel that old familiar tug at the heartstrings. Will he/she be perfect? Of course not...but that unconditional love that we have all found with our dogs will be yours again. For me, I could never, will never, be without a dog. I feel so sorry for those who have no idea what we are talking about. We are the lucky ones. Hopefully, you will be able to share your heart soon.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,867 times
i think when people lost there dog they fill bad because they dont have there dog with them eney more

Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Some feel the need to have another furkid to help ease the pain. Others feel as tho it is being unfaithful to the deceased animal.
I don't feel that. I would have gladly have given my life for my dog. She was my everything, and my life centered around her.

I need something to love and take care of. My happiness in life comes from giving to animals. To see my dog run outside. To see her enjoying life was everything to me. Her happiness was my own.

With my dog gone, it is like the light has gone out of my life. I thought maybe I could honor her by channeling my love into another dog. Yes, my cat still needs me, but not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs