Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,158,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
We have it "divided" off appropriately for his current size at the moment, it is large enough for when he is full size.

Any tips on introducing him to his crate?

I have read a great article provided in my "puppy tips" post about the basics of crate training. Very informative, and did read that it is important to not keep a dog in the crate for more than a couple hours.
First of all, it is very important, IMHO, to make your pups crate a safe, good place. I would never ever use a crate to punish my dog. Obviously, that would make them not like their crate, and I wouldn't want my dog to feel he is being punished simply because I am putting him in the crate because I have to go somewhere for a few hours, you know? Another important thing to remember is to never let your pup out of their crate while they are whining. Always wait for at least a few seconds after they stop. And always take your pup out to go potty before they go in the crate and when you let them out. Especially if they will be in their crate for a while.

As far as introducing him to his crate, I would just suggest you use lots of treats. With our dogs, we have had crates for them since the day we brought them home. With each puppy we would get him/her to go into the crate and then give them a treat once the were in it. The first several times we didn't make them stay in the crate, we didn't even close the door, we just had them walk in, get the treat and then walk out. We would also say "go to your crate" as they were walking in, so they would learn what that meant. After they saw that the crate wasn't a bad thing, we would start to close the door for just a second, then we would work our way up to leaving them in the crate, with the door closed, for a few minutes. After a while it wasn't a big deal at all for them to go in their crates, and now they love them! That is like their den, their own little safe place they can go to whenever they want. Now we only own one dog, our male APBT, Brooklyn, and he will just go and take a nap in his crate sometimes during the day.

Now, as far as how long you can leave a dog/puppy in their crate, that really all depends. I think there is a difference in how long you can leave a dog/puppy in a crate, and how long you should leave a dog/puppy in a crate. IMHO, no dog should ever be in a crate for longer than 8 hours tops without being let out to get water, go potty and get some exercise. But the only time we leave our dog in his crate for that long is at night. Besides that, he is never in his crate for longer than maybe 5-6 hours and that's not that often. With puppies it's different though. A puppy can't wait as long as an adult dog can to go potty. Depending on the age of the puppy, I wouldn't leave a puppy in their crate for longer than a couple hours without a potty break.

Also, as I'm sure you know, you need to make your pups crate as comfortable and fun as you can. Brooklyn has a pillow and a blanket in his crate, as well as his Kong toy and a bone. At night we take the toy and bone out because his crate is only a couple feet from our bed and we don't want to hear that! lol! But he's asleep then anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,158,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
What are kongs?
Kong toys are my all-time favorite dog toy, and the only toy that lasts for more than 30 seconds with my dog! lol!

Kong Pet Toys. Legendary strength, quality, and performance!

I would highly recommend them for anyone, especially if you own a dog that likes to chew!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,247,800 times
I recently started to crate my adoptee, a semi-feral aussie shepherd mix girl who is eight years old. She was having large pee accidents at night when I was at work (I work third shift).
I started putting her dinner dish inside the crate, and she easily went in to eat (as long as I kept my distance). The first couple of nights, I had to catch her on a leash and basically push her into the crate, which might not be the best idea, but I was tired of these huge pees. I also put treats into the crate after she was in. The third night, she went in pretty easily on the leash, and after that, as soon as she realized I was going to work (putting on shoes, etc.) she runs into the crate and waits for her treats. It has really helped with accidents, too.
Now she even hangs out in the crate, or goes into the other dog's crate to hang out. You can teach an older dog new ways!
But I would certainly suggest feeding the pup in the crate, so it's a positive place.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM

275 posts, read 468,333 times
i was going to suggest throwing in an old t-shirt of yours, but memphis gator has already given that suggestion. good luck with your puppy!!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,511,190 times
Kong King Kong - PetFoodDirect

This is what the kongs I get look like. You can get them for puppies, small,med and large also depending on the size of your dogs. We have two puppy ones and two medium ones. Our Papillion even though she is not a puppy likes her old one better then the new one we had bought. Kids . You can even put treats in them so they have something to do trying to get the treat out. we never did that. Only the peanut butter that they make for the kongs and we only put a little bit on the rim of the kong for the taste.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,511,190 times
I guess I should have read all the posts.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,540,122 times
Thank y'all so very much for this thread and the helpful comments. Especially concerning the 'Kong" toy. I really believe this will be exactly what I/she needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs