Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times

Advertisements

What′s wrong with using ‘dominance&rs to explain the behaviour of dogs?

This website provides a thorough and well-researched explanation of modern behavior theory as it applies to dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,123 times
Default Dog Whisperer vs. It's Me or the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
Who is Victoria???? I find it hard to believe Cesar never says a word but sssssstt and the dog submits to him totally in 2 mins. What am I missing with this.
Yes, Victoria Stillwell is good and uses more common training ideas such as positive reinforcement. However, I use Cesar's methods on my rehabilitation dogs, and maybe what you don't understand is the reason why he change the dogs attitude so fast is bc of his Energy. In the wild, dogs don't say "NO" or "Good job" they use touch & energy to communicate, so his methods are more natural and definitely NOT inhumane whatsoever. Watch them more & you'll understand more. Have a nice day all!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,954 times
i dont like victoria she seems very frustrated with her human clients, she has some good points but i think i would just become frustrated if she were my trainer. Its cesar all the way for me

Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I have watched both trainers (on TV) and my opinion is this...

I prefer Ian Dunbar to either.

Its a shame that black tights or extreme methods are apparently what it takes to get ratings.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I have watched both trainers (on TV) and my opinion is this...

I prefer Ian Dunbar to either.

Its a shame that black tights or extreme methods are apparently what it takes to get ratings.
very true. i wish more people would look past tv for their training information. the short format, editing, need to entertain, and need to show results right away are all detrimental to the understanding of how training really works.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 43,492 times
It's kinda hard to say but I'd prefer Victoria because she takes you step by step in fixing the dogs problems and does things that the everyday "average joe" could follow while Cesar just uses sssttt and attacks the dogs neck with 2 fingers(which btw doesn't work lol) and the dog automatically submits to him and does what he wants

Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
It's Me Or The Dog!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
simply hearing the name cesar milan makes me want to ssttt and alpha roll him...*grumbles*

the man uses outdated (and totally dissacreddited (by their own creator)) methods...highly edited video and has a great method of simply shutting a dog down and putting people into a position to get themselves bitten shoudl the dog actually snap. there have been many recorded fights break out that have been edited form the show with clients and many within his own pack...
the creator of alpha rolling actually said he highly regrets ever writing about it.
and given that these are supposed to be "natural" correction methods that wolves use...
besdieds an occsaional growl which could be a sstt...none of the methods even semi resmble normal pack managment...and the alpha roll, if a wolf ever tried to force another wolf onto its back its because that wolf planns on killing the lower wolf. belly shows in nature are 100% offered without force.
i had someone tell me cesar could train any canine using the "alpha training methods" and then i got a mental vision of him trying to alpha roll a female hyena i used to work and train directly...it made me giggle.

i DO however agree with him telling owners to excersize their dogs more...beyond that the man needs a swift hyena nip to the butt.

i like stidwells methods of positive reinforcment but theres still too much editing in the show i do however like that the methods showin in the show are typically shown step by step and very easy for the general public to imitate without the risks that come with imitating milans methods...
(ie place training waiting at the door ect)
i do get the feeling shes NOT a people person, which while i can identify, i can see where people would see her as standoffish and sometimes down right mean to the people.

Ian Dunbar is a great trainer

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i prefer Victoria's methods, myself.....

that said..... yes, i know the short format for behavior correction is unrealistic..... BUT.... many of the tips and methods shown ARE successful if applied consistently over time.....

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
I watch both shows. But then I watch them for their intended purpose - ENTERTAINMENT. Both are so highly edited that it would be unrealistic to think that those results could be recreated at home in a one hour time span.

The main reason I like them - it makes people aware that there are other options than rehoming their dogs, even with extremely bad behaviour. Would I ever alpha roll a dog? - nope - its positive reinforcement techniques only in this house.

However, I was horrified when I heard Victoria stating "You have to get rid of this dog for the safety of your children" (saw a show last week where those were her words). She went on along those lines without once providing any options of where the dog could go. So I guess that she is saying that if she can't fix 'em, its off to a kill shelter and euthanasia for the poor dog

At least Cesar will take a dog that is not working out back to his own pack and either adopt it out or keep it. I've seen that on his show numerous times now. Yes I do admire that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs