U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,378 times
Default How can get my 6 month old pomeranian to walk on a leash?

Hi, my pomerian will allow me to put a leash on her but when I try to walk her and direct her in a certain direction by pulling a little bit on the leash she lays down on the ground and pulls away the oposite direction. She also yelps when I try and pull her a little. What can I do about this? i have tried her favorite snack and that doesn't work.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,219,918 times
I'm absolutely no expert, but have you tried different kinds of collars? We use a gentle leader because our puppy pulls. Not sure how that kind of collar would fit on a pomeranian. If you have a petsmart or similar store nearby, maybe you could go check out what is available and ask one of the associates.

Have you looked into training? We are looking forward to starting formal obedience training with our puppy (he will be 5 mos when the sessions start). Its always good to have someone experienced see what is going on first hand.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,501,906 times
Dogs pull because there is resistance at the other end of the leash.

Start by getting your dog used to how it feels to have a leash attached to her collar. Clip a short (no longer than 4 ft) leash to her collar right before you feed her. (No flexi-leads) Leave it on and let her drag it around the house for a while. She'll associate the leash with good things and she'll get used to having some resistance from the leash as she drags it. After ten or fifteen minutes, remove the leash. Do this every day for a week or so every time you feed her.

Then take it a step further. Put on the leash and feed her while you hold the leash. As she walks away, follow her. Keep the leash loose. Don't try to pull or maker her change direction--just follow her and praise her if she walks nicely.

After a week or so of this, take her outside while you hold the leash. Put some treats on the ground a bit in front of her and walk alongside of her as she goes toward the treats. Progress to holding treats in your hand while walking beside her. The goal is to reinforce how good it is for her if she walks with you.

If she stops, drop some treats and as she begins to walk, praise her.

If she pulls, just stop or change direction, again offering a treat to bring her to you.

Use really tasty stuff like chicken or bits of hot dog for this, not regular stuff that she normally gets.

Keep this up and she'll be trained in no time.

Remember though--don't pull, force, yell or punish. Do that and you'll teach her that the leash is something to fear.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
I'm with Leorah. My pug wouldn't walk on a leash, either when he came home at the age of 14 weeks. Letting him run around the house with the leash on (ONLY WHEN YOU'RE THERE TO WATCH HIM!!!!) and giving him treats when he followed me when I was holding the leash was a HUGE help.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM

4,517 posts, read 8,202,575 times
My new little Min Pin won't walk very well on a leash either. She is completely insane.
I'm going to get a harness for her so she doesn't hurt her neck when she jerks and runs to the end of the leash.
I've read that dog collars can harm the necks of dogs in these kinds of situations and that it can cause serious injury.

I've never had a small, hyper breed. Training them is totally different from the dogs I'm familiar with.

Have fun!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM

3,713 posts, read 7,890,563 times
Try a harness and let her wear it in the house to get used to the feel. I read somewhere, ages ago, that Poms do better w/ harnesses (most toy breeds do anyway, it's less pressure on their tracheas).

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

4,357 posts, read 8,365,918 times
I have a 2 year old Chi who refused since day one to walk on a leash. I put it on he he stands there in one spot and shakes to death. He has fear of a leash for some reason. I have a huge fenced backyard and watch him when he goes out. He really does not need to be walked on one. I do attach a leash when I take him shopping and he is in his carrier. Otherwise he has no need for one.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM

12,274 posts, read 12,017,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
My new little Min Pin won't walk very well on a leash either. She is completely insane.
I'm going to get a harness for her so she doesn't hurt her neck when she jerks and runs to the end of the leash.
I've read that dog collars can harm the necks of dogs in these kinds of situations and that it can cause serious injury.

I've never had a small, hyper breed. Training them is totally different from the dogs I'm familiar with.

Have fun!
Artie isn't a small breed (he's 35 pounds of Lab/Corgi mix) but he IS hyper. I tried a number of different collars but the harness works best for us. I have (a bit) more control over him in the harness. Only a bit, I say, because I'm owned by my dog, not the other way around, and where he leads, I follow. But it is quite a bit easier to control him in the harness. Also, he doesn't gasp when he pulls, because nothing is constricting his neck.

I use a step-in harness (Cetacea) and it's really easy to place Artie and buckle him in.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,002,378 times
My 3 1/2 year old Chihuahua HATED the leash when I first put it on her. It was almost a "drag" instead of a walk. I use a harness as they can slip out of a leash too easily and the harness is better for them. FYI, don't leave it on them too long at home w/o a leash, they tend to chew on them. How did I get her to LIKE being on her leash........ she figured out she could STILL get to the kids with it on. She LOVED going up to the shcool to pick up the youngest (we waited out off to the side by the car). She LOVES KIDS! They all wanted to pet her and love on her and of course she eats it up. When she figured out she could STILL do this on a leash she was okay with it and never tried to pull against me again. Now she can be upstairs under a blanket on a bed and if she hears me open the closet door downstairs where her leash & harness are she comes RUNNING! If she does see me get it out she runs and jumps on the back of a chair in the family room for me to put it on her. She sits there still and pretty till I get it on her then she grabs the leash with her mouth like she is going to walk herself.

If your dog loves one family member a LOT then have that person stand several feet away with one of you holding her leash with her on it. Have the "loved" person call her and then walk with her to them and be sure to give her lots of praise and hugs and a treat when she does walk. Just find the thing she loves the most and have her walk to it and once she sees the leash does not restrict her from getting to it she should be okay.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM

4,517 posts, read 8,202,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie isn't a small breed (he's 35 pounds of Lab/Corgi mix) but he IS hyper. I tried a number of different collars but the harness works best for us. I have (a bit) more control over him in the harness. Only a bit, I say, because I'm owned by my dog, not the other way around, and where he leads, I follow. But it is quite a bit easier to control him in the harness. Also, he doesn't gasp when he pulls, because nothing is constricting his neck.

I use a step-in harness (Cetacea) and it's really easy to place Artie and buckle him in.
At first my newest adoptee (Min Pin puppy) was staying with my other dog when we went for walks. As long as she was staying around, I just didn't bother with the leash because of the way she fought it. Then, one day I was ready to go somewhere and took the dogs out only to have her run across the street into my neighbors back yard and totally oblivious to my calling her or trying to catch her. (That same day, I went out and bought her a real collar and a small retractable leash. While at the store, I happened to talk to someone who also had a 10 year old Min Pin who said that her dog is still like that... she said "that's the way they are"... I'm still learning about this breed. I have to believe that they're trainable if you're a patient person! )

She would wait until I was right up on her and would take off. My neighbors were probably laughing at me trying to catch the dog... and her winning. I decided that day that we would not be walking outside without a leash again.

Since that day it's been so cold that she doesn't want to go outside so we've not been working with it but I should probably get a harness for her to wear around here and get comfortable with.

We can practice walking around on a leash inside the house, I guess!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-07-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs