Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times

Advertisements

I would get a hold of the AKC, CKC and any others out there and report her, she needs to be investigated!!!! If she is on the up and up, and to us it sounds like she is not, she could get in major trouble for scamming you.
When I sold our Yorkies, my concern was that they went to good homes and I didn't ask for any money up front. I was in no big hurry to get rid of all our babies, so if someone backed out at the last minute, it was ok with us.
To me it sounds like once she got your money, she went and spent it, and now has trouble getting the $400 together to give back to you. Once she e-mailed you and said she wound be returning your money back to you, it should have been the end of it, but this woman doesn't want to quit, her husband probably told her they didn't have the money to send back, so there fore you would have to keep your end of the bargain. Sorry it don't work that way!!!! If she was an up standing breeder like she says, and you were on a waiting list, along with others, I would say that she could sell the puppy to the next person on the list and refund your money back to you!!!!!
SHE is NOT the one in control here, YOU are, SHE already said YOU could have YOUR money back, so now SHE can NOT go back on HER offer to sending YOUR money back to you!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know if you hear anything from AKC, and the CKC, enquiring minds want to know. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM

229 posts, read 232,525 times
I found petfinder.com by accident one day and we are now awaiting our new purebred pup. I was told that they are out there and not all available are put on petfinder (a rescue person from petfinder told me) SO... fill out their application and get the ball rolling. Best of Luck
p.s. Do not fret if you see what you want and the shelter is nowhere near your home. I filled out an application on the NY site and was called from tennessee. They have folks who will transport.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Report these people to everyone possible in the industry.

Then since you have zero'd in on a breed. Contact that breed and ask for a reputable breeder. Or do what I did, go thru the breed rescue and get a young dog for a fraction of the cost.

I have a Jack Russell Tarrier and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. They are great and both rescues. My boys are the love of my life and are great.

I will always go thru a breed rescue operation. Even if you want a pure breed dog you can find them. The big plus is knowledgeable people of the breed have evaluated each dog and will place them in the appropriate home. So you will be matched with the correct dog. Can't do that with a puppy and belive me the little ones are cute but mine came to me at about two years of age and there was still plenty of "puppy" left but they didn't chew down the house, were fixed, house broken, UTD on shots ect. Also, most breeds do have health issues and by the time they are 1-2 years of age if these issues are going to pop up they already have so you are also getting a sound dog.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM

85 posts, read 405,820 times
Dog breeders, some of them, are notorious scam artists.
This sounds like a classic scam They are feeding you just enough to keep you on the hook and bleed you like crazy. Show up on the front doorstep, with your pickmeup truck and rifle in gun rack in full display. Then, demand your money back...( all the while glancing back at your shotgun )....look tense!!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,013 times
I'm glad that more responses are still streaming in. I am still licking my wounds. At least now, they are not the first thing that I think about when I wake up.

Thanks to all who recommended pet adoption. My little dog and cat are adopted. The reason I was looking at dog breeders (and I looked a long time, can you believe that?) is that I was in the market for a Rottweiler, and since the dogs are so intelligent and powerful, I feel it is responsible to know blood lines and raise it from a puppy. Now, I do know about the breed rescue groups and have worked with them (volunteer) and even been a foster home in times past; however, I have still seen behavioral issues come up once a dog is placed in a home and settles in. I adopted my last foster (a different large size breed), and he went off on several occasions. He had been with the breed rescue group for a short time, and this behavior didn't come out until he was comfortable. I feel, too, that one is more comfortable and confident in their training and discipline of such a large animal when there is a comfort level that only comes from years and years of history and subsequent trust built up with the dog. One cannot have a large dog of any breed living in their home that they are even remotely apprehensive or afraid of. It is just a bad incident waiting to happen. Just all carefully thought out ideas and concerns. Just my opinion.

Anyways, I have since decided that I will not be suing our friends up in Ocala in their own backyard because I do know, from years of legal experience, that if I lose, I will not only be out the $400, but I will also be out the travel time, gas, court costs, fees, and possibly the balance due on the dog that I was supposed to purchase (another $500) if the Judge rules for them. Not that I think he would or that there is a snowball's chance in h*ll, but one never knows - and especially in FL. Things can be highly unpredictable here. Regardless of what the breeder thinks went down between us, I think they are extremely ballsy and flat out wrong to keep so much money!

I do like duff30329's idea, though! With regard to this situation, I definitely do have the "look tense" part down, and I have to admit that I have had similar fantasies which closely resemble the picture painted by Duff.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
I completely agree with you on your reasoning on why to use a breeder for a large dog. I have a small child that a large dog could chop his face off so I wanted to know both the parents and interact with them. The breeder I went with on my Golden had a grown pup from both parents to also interact with. Both my little dogs were from the pound and all my cats came from the pound or were strays found. When my child(ren) are older I will be getting my next dog/s from a rescue,pound,etc.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
First and foremost a reputable breeder will not only interrogate you to the point that you feel you're adopting a child, they will also setup a contract! Most breeds come in two classes and the the respectable breeders know this; show quality and companion quality.

If you're going to continue your quest for a Rottie, then you want the companion quality, make certain all health testing has been done on the ***** (mom) and sire (pop), and that they certify the health as well.

It's not uncommon for a reputable breeder to make you agree to a spay/neuter clause when adopting a companion class dog.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,013 times
I won't be doing any business with any breeders for a long time after this now. Thanks for everyone's advice and info.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Don't shut the door on all breeders - there are so many of them that are extremely knowledgeable about heredity, genetics, specific breed problems, etc. They have spent years studying their breed; they attend seminars on genetics, they keep excellent records, and the KNOW what they are doing when they select the lines to breed. Some breeders are vets, even. It bothers me when the bad apples ruin it for all the good breeders out there.
Go to the AKC website, and click on breeders. You'll find them listed by state. However, you can find a good breeder anywhere. It doesn't have to be in your state. Also, contact your local kennel club(s) and get the name of people in the breed you are looking for. They can refer you to good people in that breed. They will know them best. We did a lot of looking and got our show puppy from one of the best in the country. She wrote the book on the breed. She was two states away from us. We visited, and sat on the floor with her pups, and met the mother and others. She does not own the father, which I considered a plus. He is one one of the most winning dogs in the country. When we selected the pup, we gave her a deposit of $100 to hold him for us, as we wanted to "puppy proof" the house before we brought him home. We went back a week later to pick him up. He is now 4 years old and an absolute joy. Like I said, google for the Kennel Club in your area, or find some kennel clubs on the AKC website. Call them. Ask for someone in Rotties, and go from there. Then, look at their dogs, look at the breeder(s) dogs, check with families that bought dogs from the breeder. You can't really go wrong.
I'm all for rescue, but not with certain breeds when you have children in family.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
FedUpInFtMyers - I sent you a pm with breed clubs in FL, contact names, and addresses.

Here's the AKC website for breeders list: www.akc.org/breeders/index.cfm

The fact that the breeder is on the AKC list does not guarantee that it is a good breeder, so use all the advice that has been offered here in evaluating a given breeder. Going through people in the breed is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs