Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
When you're home during the day, will you be sleeping the whole time or will you have time to play and walk the dog? I think that if you will be sleeping most of the time, it's really not fair to the dog. Just my opinion. I'm assuming you're getting the dog for companionship. If you don't have the time, why get a dog?
People do work and have dogs. When they get home they play,feed and love their dogs. You can do both believe me I have for over 44 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Oh, I beg to differ! Dogs most certainly can tell time. They have little clocks inside their heads!

Their minds work much differently than ours and one of those differences is to know exactly what time it is!

You know you are right I have a dog that comes 4 pm bugs me to eat. I just see no harm in crating since I am home right now and two of the four dogs are in their crates with their doors wide open. That is what I also meant about their alone time.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
People do work and have dogs. When they get home they play,feed and love their dogs. You can do both believe me I have for over 44 years.
Not to be argumentative but there's a difference between an 8-hour work day and a 12-hour one. That extra 4 hours is hard on the bladder, I'd think.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
When you're home during the day, will you be sleeping the whole time or will you have time to play and walk the dog? I think that if you will be sleeping most of the time, it's really not fair to the dog. Just my opinion. I'm assuming you're getting the dog for companionship. If you don't have the time, why get a dog?
I sleep about 5 hrs a day. So when I get home in the morning at 7:30 am, I usually stay up until 10:00 AM, then sleep until about 4 PM. Leave for work about 6 PM. Also, I left out some important information. I only work 3 days/week.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 20,586 times
12 HOURS IS WAY TOO LONG TO CRATE ANY DOG. All dogs need affection, exercise, and discipline. Ask CEASER MILAN! the dog whispherer. I love that you want to get a dog, because they ARE the BEST friends you will ever have...but you have to be dedicated to taking care of it. You would HAVE to come home and give it a walk and exercise at the very least. Futhermore....maybe you won't have to crate it! I crate my dog from time to time...but only because he's still a puppy and he gets into things. There is no reason you cannot train your dog to be a "good dog" in the house and roam freely. This is what I suggest. also--- what about hiring a kid in the neighborhood to do some pet sitting? I pay mine $5 to come over when I know I'll have a long day at work. Sometimes he walks my dogs...other times he just lets them outside or plays with them. You have a million other options than a crate for 12 hours. Maybe 4 hours in the crate...a walk with the pet sitter.... 2 more hours in the crate etc.. .....

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I sleep about 5 hrs a day. So when I get home in the morning at 7:30 am, I usually stay up until 10:00 AM, then sleep until about 4 PM. Leave for work about 6 PM. Also, I left out some important information. I only work 3 days/week.
I would say to find someone you trust to let the dog out in between your shift if you cannot make it home. IMHO, 12 hours is too long to leave your dog without a way to relieve itself.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 20,586 times
and just saw your comment about only working that shift 3 days a week. That is much better! You can make it work if you are dedicated to it.

Also wanted to add.... what about putting the dog in a large bathroom and leaving the crate door open? then the dog has the comfort of the crate.... but room to roam and play if he wants to. Plus, having tile in there means easy clean up if he goes potty. This (along with the pet sitter) is what I do if I have longer than an 8 hour day.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
My DH and I crate our dogs while we're at work because they both have exhibited destructive behavior when left alone. I have a boxer and don't like to leave him outside all day, either. The longest we leave them is 8 hours. I know it's a long time, but we unfortunately don't work close to home anymore and can't come home on lunch. I will say that we only do this 4 days a week, because my husband is off on Mondays. I hate leaving them cooped up that long, but they do get long walks in the morning and the evening and they're out pretty much all weekend. Sorry to get off subject. 8 hours max. We do dog daycare once in a while, too.
This is almost identicle to our situation. We're gone ~12 hours, and it's killing me.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
4.5 hours is not enough time with the dog, in my opinion. But for those 3 days/week, I'd say you need to get someone to come to take him out during the 12 hours that you're gone. Otherwise it's just not fair. I still also hope that you won't have to crate him while you're gone either.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Thanks everyone for your honest answers without lecturing. I was thinking that 12 hrs was too long to crate a dog. Hopefully my new job will allow me to come home for a short period of time to let the dog out to empty his bladder.

I would have time to walk/play with the dog in the early morning hours (7:30-10:30). Also have time to play for 1 hr in the evening prior to going to work. The other 4 days would be completely open to play, walk the dog.

I want a dog for companionship, but unfortunately, I HAVE TO WORK! As for the breed, (y'all have asked), I was thinking about a samoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs