Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 AM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times

Advertisements

To all of you who responded to my post over here I want to say THANK YOU! The night I made that post, my mom & I removed the tick later that evening. It came out fine with no problem..so thank you all for the info! We used the method of tweezers..grabbed it by the head, closest to the skin, and pulled it out..flushed it. She was squeemish, but after all, she's a big baby anyway..however, she did not even yelp and she got a doggy treat after her little procedure!

I did not recognize what it was initially because I've never had that situation before (one reason being this is my first pet..we've had her for a couple years, but never seen a tick). I thought ticks would be more round and "full" looking since they suck the blood out and into their bodies.
None the less, it's out! So that saved a trip and cost of going to the vet. She's been off of her meds for a month or two..and well, I guess that was enough for her to catch a bug!
the only thing now is she keeps scratching her side with her hind leg. Sometimes she does it just when she's resting there sleeping..her little hind leg will sweep up and scratch her side every 5-10minutes. It's not always a motion where she wakes up, sits up and scratches herself..its been something she does subconsciously almost, she's never done this before.
Do you think this is an effect of the bug..or could this just be because her skin is dry from the cold weather? I know my skin has dried significantly from this change in weather!

Last edited by FloGrownGrl; 01-16-2009 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
Tick bites are normally itchy afterwards (similar to a mosquito bite) should be nothing to worry about, give it a week to heal. Did you put any alcohol on the bite after removing the tick? And are you sure you removed the head? Put her on some Frontline to prevent further tick bites and tick carried diseases. Good Luck, Stephanie

Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Tick bites are normally itchy afterwards (similar to a mosquito bite) should be nothing to worry about, give it a week to heal. Did you put any alcohol on the bite after removing the tick? And are you sure you removed the head? Put her on some Frontline to prevent further tick bites and tick carried diseases. Good Luck, Stephanie
Well the site of the tick was under her chin..and she is scratching her side with her hind leg. Yes, I cleaned and wiped thoroughly with alcohol the site at which the tick had attached itself. I'm pretty sure the head was removed..all I saw was bright pink clear skin with the slightest dot of blood after the tick (and surrounding hairs lol) was removed.It looks to be fine, I will take another look at it in the morning to see how it is healing over.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Dogs can get dry itchy winter skin just like we do. You can try a moisturizing shampoo but I have better success with massaging in some Vaseline Intensive Care lotion and getting my dog really goopy with that then rubbing it all off before a good bath.

Also, make sure your dog isn't sitting around in front of the heating vents. My dog would sit right on the vent if we let him and it really dries out his skin!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:29 PM

110 posts, read 294,116 times
Try a shampoo and conditioner with oatmeal in it. It does a really good job of hydrating the skin. Don't forget the conditioner! I forgot once and Baxter was itchy! Also try feeding your dog some eggs (depending on how big they are, I would say a couple eggs a week, sans shells of course) Skip this if your dog is a puppy though. We've always fed him an egg or some chicken or turkey. It really helps keep their coat shiny; sometimes regular old dog food just isn't enough. Plus it gives them some variety!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs