Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

FDA site: Peanut Butter and other Peanut Containing Products Recall List

Pet Food Product Recalls
Carolina Prime
Carolina Prime Pet
Grreat Choice
Happy Tails
Healthy Hide
Healthy-hide Deli-wrap
Salix
Shoppers Valu

By the way, I heard this morning that some choc chip/choc human foods are also involved, ice creams, cakes, etc. so it's not just peanut butter items. Be sure to check the FDA site for products sold in your area under store brand names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
i'm a stay at home "dog mom".
i make my dogs their own dog biscuits.
plus they love green beans & really love the little nubby carrots in the bag.
Would you mind posting a few of your recipes with veggies (thank you MAK802 for yours'). I'm going to gather a few good recipes, and just stick with them.

I feed my pup Buddy Biscuits, molasses flavored. So far so good on the recall issue with them, but I'd rather just make my own biscuits. It seems these recalls are getting more and more prevalent.

Trader Joe's has had to recall some blue cheese as it too was contaminated with salmonella. The news mentioned a few other human food items which I didn't catch and are not currently on the FDA site.

Many thanks to all of you folks who posted sites to check and have kept abreast of this issue. I would be devastated if my pup was hurt by what I was feeding him. Animal lovers and caretakers are the best ~ thank you .

Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Being a new 'mom' to an adopted shelter lab mix, I find myself wondering about the treats that I have bought for her. Now, after reading all of this thread, I'm wondering if I, too, should make my own treats. If anyone else has any suggestions, please post them. Please. I am off to go check the packages of all of her food and treats. So far I've been feeding her Science Diet that I bought from the vet.

Thanks to all of you wonderful and caring people for your posts here.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Here is the recipe. Make sure the peanut butter has only peanuts as the ingredient, and not hydrogenated oils and such. We usually make half the recipe, which makes about 17 bones. We use organic milk and pb, because that's all we ever have in the house. Porkchop loves these things. We put them in a tupperware container to keep them soft, but if you leave them out, they will turn out hard like the Milk Bone consistency, which some dogs prefer.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 375. Stir together flour and baking powder. Add peanut butter and milk to this mixture and blend well. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
Thanx for the recipe MAK.....
I made these last week and my dogs went nuts for them. I used the Smuckers All Natural Creamy with Honey Peanut Butter. Next time I will add in some extra honey. First time I rolled the dough too thin. They should be like a 1/4 inch thick.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM

I think I read somewhere (on this list maybe?) that honey is not good for dogs.

Anyone have addiitonal input on that?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Being a new 'mom' to an adopted shelter lab mix, I find myself wondering about the treats that I have bought for her. Now, after reading all of this thread, I'm wondering if I, too, should make my own treats. If anyone else has any suggestions, please post them. Please. I am off to go check the packages of all of her food and treats. So far I've been feeding her Science Diet that I bought from the vet.

Congratulations on your rescue! It's a wonderful thing to opt for a shelter dog.

I notice you are feedin Science Diet. I'm not sure what a bag of that costs as I've never purchased it, but I suspect that you could get as better quality for the same or less from a good pet food store. There have been many good discussions about dog food and quality ingredients on this list - do a search on and you'll even find a website that helps you score your dog food by assigned points for the ingredients that are in it. It's an interesting exercise, and well worth the time and you'll know what to look for when you read the ingredients list on a bag. Maybe someone knows what that site is. I'm sorry I don't have the time to search for it now (I'm off to visit mom in the hospital).

There are benefits to feeding better quality - better health means savings on vet bills down the road - just to mention one.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Just ordered this!

Amazon.com: The Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook: Over 100 "Tail Wagging" Recipes: Jessica Disbrow Talley, Eric Talley: Books

It was on the Today Show!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post

I would switch your dog food. I had mine on Science Diet for years until I was warned by my rescue group leader about the ingredients....one NO NO is Corn! I immediately took them off it!
I feed mine a mix of Wellness and Nutro. Both are excellent and top rated.
I would do the Wellness alone but since I have 6 dogs it is too $$$$. So I mix it. Congrats on your new furry friend shelter rescue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs