U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM

1,508 posts, read 4,224,109 times
Question Fluffy Mastiff questions

Have you ever heard of a Fluffy Mastiff?
Well I never did until a few days ago. We are looking into a few different breeds and found a Mastiff puppy for sale.
I'm curious so I'll ask;
Have you had experience with a Fluffy Mastiff ?
Do they shed ALOT ?
Other than the hair factor, is there any difference?
I found information on the internet but personal experience is what I'm looking to find.
Please share your information with me on the FLUFFY Mastiff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

26 posts, read 54,203 times
Are you talking about a Tibetan Mastiff? To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "Fluffy Mastiff" and it sounds like a "designer breed" - AKA one that has no basis in reality.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

8,467 posts, read 10,553,422 times
Our Mastiff is fluffy compared to our other former Mastiff. He is also a little fluffier than his sister and yes they do shed all the time. I do vacuum constantly and the drool/slime is another thing to consider. I love them in spite of these things and they keep the unwelcomed company at bay.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Default American Mastiff

Just read an interesting article on the American Mastiff.

It's such a beautiful dog & the drool factor is considerably LESS. Cool !!

Does anyone on this forum own an American Mastiff ? I would be interested to hear your thoughts....

Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

6,945 posts, read 7,104,847 times
French Mastiff here (puppy).

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM

342 posts, read 1,056,320 times
For everyone's clarification:

Fluffy mastiffs are English mastiffs (typically, but can also apply to the other short-coated mastiff breeds) that exhibit the recessive, long-haired fluffy phenotype, hence fluffy mastiffs. They are otherwise genetically sound, and in no way inferior to a short-haired English mastiff. The fluffy coat is however considered a fault in the show ring, so it's not a trait that reputable breeders particularly breed for or advertize (beware of sites or breeders that market them as rare long-haired mastiff breeds, etc. That's complete bogus and are indicative of breeders just breeding for the trendy/marketable recessive trait without consideration for health/temperment/structure, etc. They're just like those that breed "teacup' toy dogs, it's all marketing and there's really no such thing). If the dam and sire dogs are both carriers of the fluffy trait, then one or two fluffies may crop up in a litter and they are sold on pet-quality contracts.

They now have genetic testing available to screen for this gene. So with breeders screening for the fluffy carriers in their breeding program, the chances of fluffies in the litters is diminishing. Some breeders will refuse to breed any dog that turns out to be a fluffy carrier. Others think being a fluffy or fluffy carrier is preferable to bad structure, and will include fluffies in their breeding program. It just depends.

If you're interested in mastiffs, I recommend you visit the Mastiff Online Community forum (Mastiff Online Community - IntegraMOD Default). They have a wealth of information on everything mastiff.

Here's one thread discussing fluffies from MOC (with some cute pics):
Mastiff Online Community - fluffy mastiffs

There are other members who in fact currently own fluffy mastiffs. If you're really interested, join and ask your question in the forum. You'll get a lot of responses from people with personal fluffy mastiff experience. You can also inquire about the American mastiff there, although since it's a breed that's still in development and not recognized by most breed clubs, there won't be as many people with experience with this breed.

As far as shedding, I would imagine a fluffy mastiff would shed more than a regular short coated mastiff. But I have never owned a fluffy.

Last edited by vemureaux; 01-22-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

315 posts, read 682,156 times
American Mastiffs are the result of a cross between English mastiffs and Anatolian Shepherd- I think the objective was a mastiff that was not as prone to drooling.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,713,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
For everyone's clarification:

Fluffy mastiffs are English mastiffs (typically, but can also apply to the other short-coated mastiff breeds) that exhibit the recessive, long-haired fluffy phenotype, hence fluffy mastiffs. They are otherwise genetically sound, and in no way inferior to a short-haired English mastiff. The fluffy coat is however considered a fault in the show ring, so it's not a trait that reputable breeders particularly breed for or advertize (beware of sites or breeders that market them as rare long-haired mastiff breeds, etc. That's complete bogus and are indicative of breeders just breeding for the trendy/marketable recessive trait without consideration for health/temperment/structure, etc. They're just like those that breed "teacup' toy dogs, it's all marketing and there's really no such thing). If the dam and sire dogs are both carriers of the fluffy trait, then one or two fluffies may crop up in a litter and they are sold on pet-quality contracts.

They now have genetic testing available to screen for this gene. So with breeders screening for the fluffy carriers in their breeding program, the chances of fluffies in the litters is diminishing. Some breeders will refuse to breed any dog that turns out to be a fluffy carrier. Others think being a fluffy or fluffy carrier is preferable to bad structure, and will include fluffies in their breeding program. It just depends.

If you're interested in mastiffs, I recommend you visit the Mastiff Online Community forum (Mastiff Online Community - IntegraMOD Default). They have a wealth of information on everything mastiff.

Here's one thread discussing fluffies from MOC (with some cute pics):
Mastiff Online Community - fluffy mastiffs

There are other members who in fact currently own fluffy mastiffs. If you're really interested, join and ask your question in the forum. You'll get a lot of responses from people with personal fluffy mastiff experience. You can also inquire about the American mastiff there, although since it's a breed that's still in development and not recognized by most breed clubs, there won't be as many people with experience with this breed.

As far as shedding, I would imagine a fluffy mastiff would shed more than a regular short coated mastiff. But I have never owned a fluffy.
some of the fluffy mastiffs in that forum link kind of look like leonbergers (sp?). I wonder if the breeds share a common lineage

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM

13,321 posts, read 29,621,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
some of the fluffy mastiffs in that forum link kind of look like leonbergers (sp?). I wonder if the breeds share a common lineage
Leonbergers are cool-looking dogs.
They and mastiffs might have a common ancestor from long, long ago.
I had heard that fluffies show up every now and then because of the fact that after World War II, St Bernards were used to bring English mastiffs back from extinction. But maybe it really is a recessive gene that always existed--makes sense to me.
I met a fluffy English mastiff and he was absolutely gorgeous.
They might shed a bit more but that would not put me off, I'm already constantly cleaning dog/cat hair anyway.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Talking Its love

I am seriously in love with the American Mastiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs