U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust your dog with your children?
Yes 25 78.13%
No 1 3.13%
Depends upon the situation 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,481,431 times

Advertisements

We got our rescue about October 30 2007 at 1 year of age. He came from a family of 2 kids (6 and 12) who was surrendered to a kill shelter. Luckily, he was rescued and we adopted him (Bichon Frise) - he was neutered probably about 3 months prior to his adoption.

Our dog is mild mannered and he has never nipped at me or my daughter. Sometimes he would have his mouth open as your hand approaches, but he sniffs, then licks.

Even at times when I observe my daughter being rough with him, he is patient and just plays with her.

Do you trust your dog with you children?

-
He does, however, like to jump on kids and lick them to death, so I do not trust him with other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,830,327 times
I put depends on the situation. Right now he is still a young pup (about 3 months old) and he love everyone! I feel fine with him around kids, but if they are too young we have to watch him because all he wants to do is play and he has his puppy teeth, so he won't realize that 'playing' with a young child will hurt them when he nibbles or jumps up on them. I'm sure once he is older he will be very trustworthy though.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,850,124 times
My JRT has never met a stranger, just a friend he hasn't met before!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,809,400 times
More like do I trust my children with my dog! My dog will bite. My son is gentle with her, and we call him "her boy." My daughter, on the other hand, likes to rough house with the dog, and often "competes" with her over me, which is a recipe for trouble. If and when my dog bites her, it is always due to something my daughter is doing to antagonize her, and she shows restraint considering my daughters lack of boundaries and knowing when to stop.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

3,803 posts, read 9,733,753 times
My dog is a very gentle little girl. She loves everyone, adults and kids alike. I've never heard her growl! Yes, I totally trust her with kids. That being said, I do believe there are certain situations that may take a dog off guard and ya never know how they'll react if frightened or threatened.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Some strange little kid came right up to my collie's head at the store last week and proceeded to grab her face, poke her in the eye, pull her ears, and massage her nose. Repeatedly. I was a little taken aback (where were the parents?), but I knew my dog wouldn't freak out. She stood calmly and waited. She wasn't raised with kids, but she knows who they are.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:22 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,107,873 times
I don't have children but I trust both my dogs with children.
Just the other day my mom and I were walking the dogs and this little girl (probably a year old...if that) wanted to pet it and I let Spike go up to the girl and he let her pet him. He was really friendly.

Our smaller dog Rudy growls at people when he first meets them or he cowers away but we've never had an incident where he bit someone.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,229,009 times
All my dogs are good with kids except one. Do not know why. Perhaps she had rocks thrown at her by kids in the ghetto town where I rescued her from. My little white deaf pit I rescued with a broken tail is cautious of anyone touching her tail. She loves all kids but I have to watch they do not touch her tail due to pain or she will give them a warning snap just to let them know it hurts her! I am responsible and watch out for this. Otherwise my dogs are not really around any kids at all.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
miu

17,152 posts, read 34,653,229 times
I don't have any human children. I'd trust any of my dogs alone with children that aren't toddlers. But I wouldn't trust human children to be alone with my dogs within a confined setting. I feel that if the kids were annoying, my dogs would just run away from them.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,277,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'd trust any of my dogs alone with children that aren't toddlers. But I wouldn't trust human children to be alone with my dogs within a confined setting.
I think that holds true for most any dog. Toddlers neither understand nor respect that dogs are individual beings. In that sense, and especially since he's so hyper, I wouldn't trust my dog around children. Some dogs do not like to be smothered with affection, have their tails pulled, or have someone right in their face. Guess it just depends on the dog, but overall, I would not trust any dog with a toddler, OR a very young child alone with any dog. Just mho ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or