Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Unbelievable story. I just read it somewhere else. Five hundred pregnant dogs!? They must have been breeding them every heat cycle to get the most out of them. What happens when the females get old and tired? I hate to even think of it. This was clearly a big operation. I can only imagine how many pet stores they were supplying puppies to.
I think it was 3 puppy mills that got raided. There was an earlier story about the first one, then they realized there were a bunch pregnant and they had this story about the lot of them being raided....

It's horrible.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
That's an enormous amount of dogs.I feel for the shelters that are taking them in.In my shelter we have 70 cages plus a few smaller cages for small breed dogs.It gets very tough in the summer with dogs and an over abundance of cats and kittens.I could never imagine us getting 600 HUNDRED dogs plus 500 pregnant ones.Those shelters must have very large staff.God knows what kind of health problems these dogs have.Its really disgusting how many dogs there are in this country.All of these backyard breeders and puppy mills.Makes me sick.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
That's an enormous amount of dogs.I feel for the shelters that are taking them in.In my shelter we have 70 cages plus a few smaller cages for small breed dogs.It gets very tough in the summer with dogs and an over abundance of cats and kittens.I could never imagine us getting 600 HUNDRED dogs plus 500 pregnant ones.Those shelters must have very large staff.God knows what kind of health problems these dogs have.Its really disgusting how many dogs there are in this country.All of these backyard breeders and puppy mills.Makes me sick.

We actually called the shelter, and they are dealing with a LOT of sick dogs. they aren't sure how many they can save, but they have been talking about it in the news to see if not only people could help with supplies, but are starting lists for people who want to adopt....trying to get them adopted!

They need to start getting strict laws in place to avoid these sort of things happening......

Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
Spay abort. Please do not give us 1500 more puppies - purebred, puppymill, designer, or whatever.

And I'm sorry the police resorted to putting them in traditional shelters instead of coming up with a more comprehensive plan, perhaps utilizing rescues for the breeds these are supposed to be. I don't know the shelters in that particular area, but in ones I've been involved with, I wouldn't put any dog in there, no matter how bad the previous environment was. And I wouldn't "save" a dog just to the end its life by injecting it with blue solution anymore than I'd save a child to have him killed with tax money at the local police station. It might be tougher to come up with a plan that doesn't involve dropping them off at a shelter but it's necessary until shelters are held to higher standards.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM

At our shelter we'll spay a dog thats in the early stage of pregnancy,if shes too far along well let her have them.Theres simply too many animals and not enough homes.if these are mostly small breeds i can see many of them getting homes but not roughly 1500 pups and 600 adults.Thats an huge amount of dogs.Lets not forget about the dogs these shelters have before they recieved all of the ones from the raid.Its unfortunate that animals have to be PTS for basically no reason but sometimes there is no other option.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
At our shelter we'll spay a dog thats in the early stage of pregnancy,if shes too far along well let her have them.Theres simply too many animals and not enough homes.if these are mostly small breeds i can see many of them getting homes but not roughly 1500 pups and 600 adults.Thats an huge amount of dogs.Lets not forget about the dogs these shelters have before they recieved all of the ones from the raid.Its unfortunate that animals have to be PTS for basically no reason but sometimes there is no other option.
Oftentimes, you can't tell a dog is pregnant until it's too late! Especially when a dog is emaciated to begin with.

But I agree, there are too many animals and not enough homes. A lot of these pedigree dogs come with problems, too. I have a friend with a puppy mill dog that has cost her thousands in health issues. It's very sad. She loves that dog to pieces, but he probably won't live a long life.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Spay abort. Please do not give us 1500 more puppies - purebred, puppymill, designer, or whatever.

And I'm sorry the police resorted to putting them in traditional shelters instead of coming up with a more comprehensive plan, perhaps utilizing rescues for the breeds these are supposed to be. I don't know the shelters in that particular area, but in ones I've been involved with, I wouldn't put any dog in there, no matter how bad the previous environment was. And I wouldn't "save" a dog just to the end its life by injecting it with blue solution anymore than I'd save a child to have him killed with tax money at the local police station. It might be tougher to come up with a plan that doesn't involve dropping them off at a shelter but it's necessary until shelters are held to higher standards.
You know I was thinking about that, and I read on the shelters web site:

"According to the Washington State Cruelty Laws, all animals should have food, water, and shelter, and be protected from abuse. If you are in Skagit County, you should call 911 to report animal abuse"

I found out that their were calls about these puppy mills to the police, and that's how this whole thing came to be. I was actually thinking that maybe because of the large quantity of dogs, they might be able to get help from Dogtown:

Best Friends Animal Society - Dogtown

This sounds right up their alley

They are a HUGE animal sanctuary. I had read before they took in 800 cats from a Nevada animal control that had incident like this.....

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
Yes, I was thinking of the Pahrump, Nevada situation as a model when I posted about more thoughtful problem-solving in these situations. Clearly they cannot ALL go to Best Friends - sanctuaries are not the long-term solution to these issues. But every situation where you are rescuing a large number of animals, you've got to set something up - preferably community based.

I helped with a cat hoarding situation once, and it really was a banding together of several groups and a ton of organization - first to advocate for the animals and get them out of animal control where they were certainly doomed, distribute them in foster care utilizing each group's resources, not to mention the help with the house clean up. A lot of work, yes, but certainly preferable to holding the animals inside the shelter until legal decisions were made - I'm sure some of them would have perished from shelter-borne disease, been lost, accidentally euthanized, etc - all normal occurances there.

Anyway, I don't consider if too late to spay an animal until the point where there are viable babies in the birth canal. Once my vet resuscitated the kittens when a feral mama cat began to deliver once anesthetized for her spay - I put them to nurse on her before she even woke up fully from the C-section/hysterectomy and they did fine together until the kittens could be pulled off for socialization and mama could go back to her yard. But I have any control over it before then - nope. No sense to me in bringing them into this world if you have the chance to stop it beforehand, given that so many pets already here are killed every day. I really hope they will not allow those 500 dogs to deliver... they've now accepted responsibility for those animals, even if they weren't the ones who originally let them get pregnant. So it would be a real shame to me, if, while it was in their control they allowed all those more dogs to be born.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM

nolovelost----What number did you call for info on the animals??I want to bring the info to work with me to see if anyone is able to adopt or help in some way.Could you PM it to me??Was it the Everett animal shelter you called?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
nolovelost----What number did you call for info on the animals??I want to bring the info to work with me to see if anyone is able to adopt or help in some way.Could you PM it to me??Was it the Everett animal shelter you called?
sure can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs