Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,733 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll!

I have an almost 2 year old female Saint Bernard. She is very loving and extremely smart, but also rotten. She seems to have no boundaries when it comes to other people's personal space. She is eye level with most people's ummmm, crotch level and doesn't have an issue saying hello. Not all the time, but mostly when new people come in the house. It makes a great first impression! We tell her no and usually keep her outside or in the other room, but I would rather solve the problem.

And now, the more important issue, she has become very aggressive with smaller animals. I truly don't think she is trying to hurt them, she wants to mother them, but as soon as they growl, she gets mad. Especially if food is around! We feed her away from the others ( we have 5 total, 1 lab, 1 lab mix, and 2 pugs, the St is the youngest) but sometimes she gets mad and snaps. I wanted to take her to obedience when we first got her, but DH has a lot of experience with animals and he thought he could handle her, and now I can't afford to take her.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,907,926 times
Even if you can't afford to take her to classes, you can still provide her with training. Get a good book on positive training (see some here: Welcome to Dogwise.com) and follow the techniques consistently. You might also want to check out your local SPCA to see if they have low or no-cost training classes.

There's no reason to think that your dog understands what you mean when you say "no" unless you have specifically taught her. Dogs don't learn by osmosis. They don't read minds. Her greeting behavior is normal, and it's how dogs greet other dogs. Remember, dog's aren't people and their sense of smell is far more acute and important than any of their other senses. Instead of punishing her or yelling at her, redirect her behavior. Teach her that the best place to be is by your side. Teach her to sit, if she doesn't already know how. And this means that she has to sit until you release her. Reward her with yummy treats when she does what you want. Keep practicing. She'll learn quickly that good things will happen when she pleases you. If you are consistent, withing a short time you will find that when guests come over, she will sit quietly next to you.

Start making her work for everything she gets. This is called Nothing In Life Is Free. Nothing in life is free - NILF - dog training - Article on Pets.ca. This REALLY WORKS. This training will help you teach her in a kind way that you are in control, and she will learn to look to you for guidance and approval.

Continue separating her at mealtimes, and monitor her when food is around. Some dogs are naturally food aggressive, and this behavior is very hard to extinguish. Do not punish her. Aggression on your part will only increase her own aggression. Divert, redirect, and channel her behavior elsewhere. And give her plenty of exercise. Tired dogs are good dogs.

And please, keep in mind that your dog isn't being stubborn or rotten. Her behavior is normal for an untrained dog. If she's not doing what you expect it's not her fault, it's yours for not training her.

Best of luck. She sounds like a great candidate for training, and I'm sure with a little effort on your part she'll be fine!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi ya'll!

I have an almost 2 year old female Saint Bernard. She is very loving and extremely smart, but also rotten. She seems to have no boundaries when it comes to other people's personal space. She is eye level with most people's ummmm, crotch level and doesn't have an issue saying hello. Not all the time, but mostly when new people come in the house. It makes a great first impression! We tell her no and usually keep her outside or in the other room, but I would rather solve the problem.

And now, the more important issue, she has become very aggressive with smaller animals. I truly don't think she is trying to hurt them, she wants to mother them, but as soon as they growl, she gets mad. Especially if food is around! We feed her away from the others ( we have 5 total, 1 lab, 1 lab mix, and 2 pugs, the St is the youngest) but sometimes she gets mad and snaps. I wanted to take her to obedience when we first got her, but DH has a lot of experience with animals and he thought he could handle her, and now I can't afford to take her.

HELP!
Put her on a short leash and keep her with you at all times, ANY time she exhibits behavior that is inappropriate reprimand her and stop the bad behavior ASAP.

Crate and rotate helps as well, and make sure she knows where she stands in your house.

I have a few furkiddos as well, but they all know where they stand and we don't have issues. Once a year they also all go to a 10 day doggie boot camp at our local K-9 training/boarding facility to brush up on their manners and work on things they need help with. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

342 posts, read 1,830,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Even if you can't afford to take her to classes, you can still provide her with training. Get a good book on positive training (see some here: Welcome to Dogwise.com) and follow the techniques consistently. You might also want to check out your local SPCA to see if they have low or no-cost training classes.

There's no reason to think that your dog understands what you mean when you say "no" unless you have specifically taught her. Dogs don't learn by osmosis. They don't read minds. Her greeting behavior is normal, and it's how dogs greet other dogs. Remember, dog's aren't people and their sense of smell is far more acute and important than any of their other senses. Instead of punishing her or yelling at her, redirect her behavior. Teach her that the best place to be is by your side. Teach her to sit, if she doesn't already know how. And this means that she has to sit until you release her. Reward her with yummy treats when she does what you want. Keep practicing. She'll learn quickly that good things will happen when she pleases you. If you are consistent, withing a short time you will find that when guests come over, she will sit quietly next to you.

Start making her work for everything she gets. This is called Nothing In Life Is Free. Nothing in life is free - NILF - dog training - Article on Pets.ca. This REALLY WORKS. This training will help you teach her in a kind way that you are in control, and she will learn to look to you for guidance and approval.

Continue separating her at mealtimes, and monitor her when food is around. Some dogs are naturally food aggressive, and this behavior is very hard to extinguish. Do not punish her. Aggression on your part will only increase her own aggression. Divert, redirect, and channel her behavior elsewhere. And give her plenty of exercise. Tired dogs are good dogs.

And please, keep in mind that your dog isn't being stubborn or rotten. Her behavior is normal for an untrained dog. If she's not doing what you expect it's not her fault, it's yours for not training her.

Best of luck. She sounds like a great candidate for training, and I'm sure with a little effort on your part she'll be fine!
Excellent advice.

As for greeting strangers, I recommend training sit-to-greet where the dog has to sit in order to receive any attention from a visitor. Method is described here: Training Dog to Greet Politely - Puppy & Dog Forums

If she has a good sit-stay or down-stay, that can be used as well while you have a visitor. Or, you can train your dog such that doorbell = go to crate. Whatever you choose, reward heavily the desired behavior, and ignore and/or redirect the unwanted behavior.

I use NILF with my pup too. It really does work.

I also agree with Leorah that your dog is exhibiting signs of food aggression. I personally do not have experience with food aggression, so I'll let others chime in there, but that's definitely a problem you want to address.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,663,953 times
I have raised 3 st bernards in the last 35 years.
They can be very stubborn and very independent, but they are also one owner dogs. If you are the one she is attached to you must train her.
First of all St Bernards are not really trainable until they reach 2 years old. That is when their working instinct kicks in. They need to have a job and please you.
You must establish a "pleased" personality and a "not pleased" personality. The older they get, the more sensitive they will become to being reprimanded for not pleasing you.
One of the problems with Saints is that they are so big, but they think they are puppies. They like to launch themselves into your lap for a snuggle. Or if you play ball, they will run to you and slam their body into your legs.
Another problem is that you cannot hurt them so discipline goes unnoticed.
I used one main command on my Saint. I would hold out my hand with my palm in her face and say "down" to stop her from jumping on me. I would tell people entering my home to do that and she would behave. All other commands were done when she was on the leash.
For punishment, I first would try to use my "frowney voice" Nooooo ( She would know I wasn't pleased and would beg me for another chance to do it right. If she ignored me I would back up that command with a squirt of water on her muzzle (avoid her eyes). That really works. you only have to do it a couple of times and after that just showing her the squirt bottle is enough to back up the command. Another form is discipline is to twist her lip, look her in the eye and say "what?
Saints are the most loyal dogs I have ever come across, but they like calm and order in their home.
If you argue with your spouse, your saint will probably come between you or try to pull you out of the situation. If your children cry, she will become very distressed. She may be reacting to the other dogs because they are too excited and she is trying to bring calm to the situation. Or, because she is a one owner dog, she may show jealousy when she has to share you with another dog. I also had two other dogs plus my saint and I put their food out so when they were eating the were facing back to back in a triangle.
There is nothing better than having a Saint around when you just need to have a good cry and a hug. They are very empathetic and will do anything they can to comfort you.
I envy you, I my last saint died of old age in September and I truly miss her, but I am too old to take on another one. Please enjoy your little girl while you have her, they don't have a long life span.

Last edited by yukiko11; 05-06-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,116 times
Hi,
I have a gorgeous 5 year old male st. bernard, he is aggressive, but once he knows you he's nice. I have had other dogs in my life, but this one does things i have never seen. He is not nuetered and has to smell himself on everything, even his food and water bowl. He piddles on everything. The sides of his doghouse, food bowls, water bowls, does anyone know what this is about?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
he is marking everything as "his" ...... unaltered boys do this..... you could try having him neutered, and there really probably isn't any reason not to start with this..... might help.... also, some training is necessary to redirect that impulse......

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,060 times
I'm very interested in how to train my saint :-) I thought I had been doing a wonderful job as he will sit and knows when I say NO I mean it & pouts, he will also lay down on command and heal & come when told. He is wonderful with the kids...but... he barks if people approach from behind him, strangers that is and this bothers me. When he was younger five months old, he nipped at my two year old while eating. We corrected this by not allowing him in the kitchen while eating and not letting him eat around us. He is now 9months old and we to are unable to send him to obience as my husband was laid off, however, I want my gentle giant to remain friendly and to listen to me. Some advice on how to control his barking habit would be greatly appreciated :-) thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,459 times
I have a 3 month old saint bernard called barney. He was very good when we first got him from the breeders but over the last week his behavoiur start to get a bit aggressive. He was biting alot and it hurts it was also hard to get him off me when he had hold I was reading about NILF and started using it yesterday and it has worked really quickly I have only been bite once today instead of 100 times. He is following me round and being really nice. My partner has not started using this yet and his aggression seems to have turned to him instead. My partner is going to start this tomorrow as it works so quickly.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshort1983 View Post
I have a 3 month old saint bernard called barney. He was very good when we first got him from the breeders but over the last week his behavoiur start to get a bit aggressive. He was biting alot and it hurts it was also hard to get him off me when he had hold I was reading about NILF and started using it yesterday and it has worked really quickly I have only been bite once today instead of 100 times. He is following me round and being really nice. My partner has not started using this yet and his aggression seems to have turned to him instead. My partner is going to start this tomorrow as it works so quickly.
All people in the family have to be very consistant for NILIF or else it's confusing for the dog. I have tried this training and find it extremely effective, but you can't do it halfway-- that is you can't take out the part about making the dog work for your affection (this was the hardest part for me). Practice it in its entirety and you should notice a difference right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs