U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM

46 posts, read 69,986 times

Advertisements

Hey all!!!! A few months ago I asked for advice and got some good info. Since then, my husbands work schedule changed and we decided we would start "looking" for a dog to add to the family. For those that remember, we thought the dog would be home all day. Well now it will only be 3 hours from 2p-5p on Mon, Thur, and Fri. He's home on Tue and Wed, with me off the weekends. We had every intention of not adopting until at least this summer. I got off work early this past Tuesday, and I figured it would be a good time to start our research. We headed to the local shelter with our youngest kid in tow. Immediately after walking in there, I was overwhelmed from the doggies crying. It was so hard to walk by the cages because I wanted to bring them all home. I stopped at a cage that a Black Labrador was in. She was not madly barking like the other dogs. I asked the volunteer about her. They said she had been there about a week, and was the sweetest dog there. They believed she was neglected. Actually, she was going to a Labrador rescue that weekend if not adopted sooner. She asked if we wanted to take her outside so we could interact with her. This is where it gets a little sad (read only if you don't mind shedding a tear). When put on a leash and brought out the cage she froze, and was shaking terribly. Actually we had to pick her up to bring her outside. Once we got her out I knelled down and started talking to her. She let me pet her, and you could just see it in her eyes that she was loving the attention. I stopped for a moment to tell my son to come see her, and when I did she immediately buried her head further in my lap as if to tell me not to stop. That did it for me!!! I told DH there was no way she was going to stay there. My son eventually came over and her ears perked up, and her tail started wagging when he started petting her. Then my son ran away and was running in circles. She followed his every move and I knew she wanted to run with him, but I think her fear and nerves stopped her.

The said she is about 8 months old, and while I was wanting an older dog, she stole my heart. She will get spayed on Thursday and we will pick her up Friday evening. I took my other kids to meet her this afternoon and she was excited to see us there. I'm looking for advice from all of you who have had experience adopting neglected animals. When she comes home I will have her crate set up in the kitchen (laundry area is too small), and I'm getting baby gates to close off the carpeted area in case she's not house-trained. I figure the kitchen is a good place since it's a busy part of the house. The kids have been instructed to give her time to get comfortable to her surroundings. I'm hoping that since she is still a puppy that her playful side will emerge.

Is there anything else I can do that I'm not thinking about? Crate, toys, food, plenty of love and patience are the main ingredients.

Thanks for "listening" to me. I'll be sure to post updates. Oh, her new name will be Sasha Fierce...AKA "Sasha"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
Wow! What a great story!

Just be patient with her. It's going to take a while for her to get used to her new family and to trust that people really do love her.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,795,554 times

I love happy endings!
You sound like you have it all under control. Can't wait to see pics of Sasha.
Congrats! How lucky for you both...that you have found one another!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,822,889 times
Congratulations...you saved one life and made room for another! I look forward to reading more about your new furry child. Yes...give her endless love, patience, exercise, rules and don't forget to structure her day. Dogs respond (+) to routine and structure!

Please excuse my being very tired, as I will try to write more later if someone doesn't say what I am thinking.

As far as indoor gates go, I highly recommend: Carlson Pet Products - EXTRA TALL Walk-Thru Metal Gate with Small Pet Door (http://www.carlsonpetproducts.com/pr_extratall.htm - broken link) You can buy them extra tall and get them extra wide. Don't be affraind to shop around. Yes, they cost much more than baby gates, but you get what you pay for in this situation,

Buy her a Kong and fill it with treats so that she has something to keep her busy while you are away for a few hours. KONG Pet Toys - Legendary Strength, Quality, and Performance (http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html - broken link)

I like to leave the tv or radio on when I am not home to drown out noises that may startle or get my dogs worked up. We also buy the large Kong sqeaker tennis balls. We have large dogs (58lbs and 75lbs).

We use OdoBan to get up smells and to disinfect. Sam's Club - OdoBan - 128oz jug & 24oz bottle

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times
Good for you and congrats to your family and Sasha the newest member

Hopefully at her age any misgivings she has can be overcome with patience, time and TLC. Don't be surprised if loud noises bother her, but it seems as if the kids will soothe that over in no time flat. Most likely she had her own kid before and was missing him/her, now she's going to have a family.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM

46 posts, read 69,986 times
Thank you all for the wonderful words of encouragement I can't sleep because I'm worried about her in there and want her home with us. Cleosmom, I did forget to mention that she was startled by the big rig trucks driving by.

The main ones who will be taking care of her are myself, DH, and our 15 and 12 year old daughters. The other 3 kids will be responsible as well, but I'm not sure yet how to involve them until she feels safe with us. I'm so excited that I can't sleep. DH is out of town and I'm sitting here getting a shopping list ready for tomorrow. I'm acting like I don't have to work tomorrow

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
Don't leave her alone for long periods of time at first. She needs to understand that when you leave, you will come back. Leave for short periods at first. Take a walk up the street and come back. Later get in the car and drive around the block, and so on. Some of these dogs have real issues with separation anxiety. By leaving for short periods, you get to see how she reacts and build trust.

You don't want to suddenly leave one day for 4 hours and come home to find your house torn up! (Not that that's what's going to happen, but just giving you an example.)

And when you leave the house, get used to saying something like "Momma go bye-bye!" so she knows you are leaving and what to expect.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,241,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfam7 View Post
When she comes home I will have her crate set up in the kitchen (laundry area is too small), and I'm getting baby gates to close off the carpeted area in case she's not house-trained. I figure the kitchen is a good place since it's a busy part of the house. The kids have been instructed to give her time to get comfortable to her surroundings. I'm hoping that since she is still a puppy that her playful side will emerge.

Is there anything else I can do that I'm not thinking about? Crate, toys, food, plenty of love and patience are the main ingredients.

Thanks for "listening" to me. I'll be sure to post updates. Oh, her new name will be Sasha Fierce...AKA "Sasha"
Consider getting her microchipped.

I left a radio on for my dog when he first moved in.

Aside from that, grooming supplies, leash, collar, toys, feeding bowl, doggy bed, pet air freshener, and most of all...

Patience and love.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I had a lovely dog who was abused/beaten by her former owner's boyfriend. She was about 2 y/o when I adopted her as the bf "didn't like her." She was about 14-15 y/o when she died and to the end of her life, she didn't like people waving their hands around. Just be aware if certain things spook her, she may not get over that particular thing but it can be lessened. Alixe occasionally growled when a man got too near her and was talking excitedly, but she never bit anyone. Good luck and thank you for saving her!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times
Considering her past, when you finally have visitors that will want to met her have them allow her to sniff their hand and once she accepts that, tell them to reach and pet under her chin. Too many people go to pat the top of the head and that can startle any dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or