U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM

3,681 posts, read 3,327,761 times
Question Dog Eats EVERYTHING! Help!

My 5 month old puppy eats anything he can, including his own excrement. We give him pineapple and some "don't eat your own poop" pills we got at the pet store (can't recall the exact name.) But nothing seems to work. We feed him Avoderm puppy food from the pet store. He will eat leaves, grass, bugs, his/other dog's feces, whatever he can and does so even right after he has been fed. I take him out on a leash and if I catch him, I will say no and tug quickly up on the leash, but he is constantly doing this. He even is trying to eat grass or something WHILE he is pooping which makes it hard to praise him for going outside (we are still working on potty training) because I'm afraid he might think he's being praised for eating the grass. Not much fun going for walks with him or cuddling close to his face not to mention the concern that he will eventually get sick from something he's ingested. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM

1,397 posts, read 2,196,311 times
Why Dogs Eat Poop: 20 Reasons

20 Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop (Coprophagia, Pica)

Last edited by leorah; 01-29-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation-post snippet only with link

Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM

200 posts, read 551,429 times
I saw a episode with Victoria whats her face...on the show It's Me or the Dog on the animalplanet.com. They had five pugs on there that would eat each other's poop as it was coming out...LOL I liked the way she trained the pugs to leave the poop alone in that episode, one of the better training techniques I've seen. Look it up, incorporate it with your puppy.

What kind of food are you feeding him? Are you feeding him the right amount, at least two times a day? I knew dogs that eat too much, eat too little, eat poor quality dog food, good quality dog food all do this.

The couple main reasons puppies eat their food is a survival instinct, "puppy phase" they'll grow out of, or if they are not getting enough nutrients.

Here is some tips,
Keep your yard clean, every time he goes, you clean it up.
Praise him when he does go outside (stern no, jerk on leash when he tries to go near his feces).
Let him eat grass, dogs do this to settle their stomach down, though I know a couple dogs who just like to pretend to be cows.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,915,559 times
First, your dog is a five month old PUPPY. Puppies put EVERYTHING into their mouths. EVERYTHING. YOU are the one who has to be in charge and make sure that his environment is safe, with nothing in easy reach that could be dangerous for him, and that includes electrical wires.

My best friend, who's a small animal vet, tells her clients that they should get an old hose, slit it and put the cord inside, taping it shut. Not pretty, but it's safe and until your dog is done teething (he'll lose teeth at around six months) you have to be careful with these.

Also, a five month old pup should be getting three meals daily. At six months you can switch him to two meals a day, but until then, he's really growing and needs to eat more frequently than twice daily.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First, your dog is a five month old PUPPY. Puppies put EVERYTHING into their mouths. EVERYTHING. YOU are the one who has to be in charge and make sure that his environment is safe, with nothing in easy reach that could be dangerous for him, and that includes electrical wires.

My best friend, who's a small animal vet, tells her clients that they should get an old hose, slit it and put the cord inside, taping it shut. Not pretty, but it's safe and until your dog is done teething (he'll lose teeth at around six months) you have to be careful with these.

Also, a five month old pup should be getting three meals daily. At six months you can switch him to two meals a day, but until then, he's really growing and needs to eat more frequently than twice daily.
Thanks for the response.
We have "puppy proofed" the areas he is confined in and we keep a very close eye on him. But when we are out for a walk, he is just constantly sniffing the ground, which I think is what he needs to do to find a place to go, but he then also picks up everything in his mouth and tries to eat it - hard to deal with that. As far as feeding him 3 meals a day, we can try it as we are currently feeding him twice a day. But even after having been fed and he even leaves a little food in his dish sometimes and STILL will immediately go outside and try eating everything! I'm hoping its a puppy phase and he will outgrow most of it. We currently are feeding him a petstore brand called Avoderm, which I assume is a good quality vet seemed to think it was good.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
I saw a episode with Victoria whats her face...on the show It's Me or the Dog on the animalplanet.com. They had five pugs on there that would eat each other's poop as it was coming out...LOL I liked the way she trained the pugs to leave the poop alone in that episode, one of the better training techniques I've seen. Look it up, incorporate it with your puppy.

What kind of food are you feeding him? Are you feeding him the right amount, at least two times a day? I knew dogs that eat too much, eat too little, eat poor quality dog food, good quality dog food all do this.

The couple main reasons puppies eat their food is a survival instinct, "puppy phase" they'll grow out of, or if they are not getting enough nutrients.

Here is some tips,
Keep your yard clean, every time he goes, you clean it up.
Praise him when he does go outside (stern no, jerk on leash when he tries to go near his feces).
Let him eat grass, dogs do this to settle their stomach down, though I know a couple dogs who just like to pretend to be cows.
Thanks. I will try to find that Me or the Dog episode. We sometimes watch The Dog Whisperer and I have wished he would address this issue.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks for your response. (We use to be a "cat house" also! Must say its much easier!)

Last edited by leorah; 01-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted article

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,915,559 times
This is absolutely a puppy thing. When my dog was a puppy, he'd go after anything light-colored. I had to look three steps ahead of him and steer him away from discarded papers, tissues (YUCK!) and anything light colored. He'll get over it. Really!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,272,793 times
Wow, great info. from everyone. Mine is cut and dry. Find out how much he should be eating. You should be feeding him twice a day with some treats in between. I would say he is a growing pup and still hungry.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:15 PM

11,879 posts, read 24,751,770 times
I feel your pain. A little over one month ago I got a 7 month old Rat Terrier that I rescued from Homeward Bound. This dog would not only eat everything but tear EVERYTHING up. Sofa cushions, cables, you name it.

As he had never been hit (thank goodness) he wouldn't even respond to a raised hand as a warning. In fact, I think he KNEW he was doing wrong and wanted to make a game of it. Besides, when he was doing something wrong I literally had a devil of a time catching him.

I was deathly afraid that he would eat something that would injure him or worse, kill him. It's hard to puppy proof a place from a Rat Terrier because they can JUMP like a kangaroo.

I finally went to Petsmart and purchased one of those collars that has a remote control. This one has two methods for "training" your dog. One is an audible sound (a beep) and the other is an electrical shock. Now hold on before any of you think I go around shocking my dog; I don't.

I found that the audible beep works just fine as long as you back it up with a stern NO. I don't know why, but it works. He's getting better by the day and no longer brings in dead bugs, doggy poo, or anything like that.

If the audible beep doesn't work for your puppy, you can always take the collar back to Petsmart and get your money back. BTW, it has a range of 100 yards.

Good luck with your puppy. They are a real challenge but in the long run worth every bit of effort. I'm so attached to this little guy now I don't know what I'd do without him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs