Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:19 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

Before my wife and I got Brody (our 3 mo old Dogue) we talked to a couple of other "breeders" we saw in the paper. One such lady was selling Mastiffs and my wife told her (trying to be nice) how it was nice to be dealing with such a responsible person - that there were those like we're talking about on this thread.

The lady preceded to rip my wife sideways about the freedom to whatever the H she wanted with her animals and to stay out of her "business" (no doubt about that!)

We know that if we do decide to stud Brody, the female will also be AKC and the pups will be ours - meaning they will receive quality care as if we would be the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM

57 posts, read 101,230 times
We are doomed.......... "We" as in everyone and us 'Responsible breeders' in particular.

I can't believe all of the deliberate crossbreeds! and they are selling these "Pugles", "Labradoodles", "Schnoodles" etc for big bucks! and people are happily buying them. They are everywhere!

We are on the verge of a depression, the animal shelters are full, dogs are being dumped everywhere and people are still creating these crossbreeds. I don't understand it.

Just last week somebody answered an ad for a free Yorkie. The owner lived with some people who bred their dogs to pay their daughter's college. The dogs were in deplorable conditions or so the guy getting the Yorkie thought. How does a 'responsible breeder' survive with that kind of thing everywhere you look?

They can pass laws, mostly that will never be enforced, but even that will only make things worse.
I saw one set of laws that would make it impossible for us 'responsible breeders' to produce a few litters a year. To pay for the facilities you would have to produce thousands of puppies a year. Right, that would be a puppy mill and we don't want any more of those, even if they are cleaner than what most are now. There is more to raising puppies than just a clean/sterile kennel.

We all need to educate every person we talk to..............and get told to f.....off on a regular basis.
But sometimes some of those people hear you.

39 posts, read 90,206 times
Little Elmer, Wow that is terrible! That is probably what bothers me the most about some breeders. I've visited these places & they make me sick! I think it generally best to find an AKC registered dog with papers. It seems the people out there just trying to make a buck don't even register their dogs anymore. I feel sometimes it costs a little bit more for the dog, but like everything else, you get what you pay for. If you are truly a responsible breeder it really costs alot of money for your dogs, kennel, & to keep them healthy. Moderator cut: deleted website advertising I would be happy to hear your thoughts....

Last edited by leorah; 01-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: advertising

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
I applaud the professional breeders who refuse to adopt out a dog or cat prior to having them spayed/neutered. They're doing their part.

Now if we could pound some sense into all the "Golly Gee whiz, let me breed my pet cuz she's so darn cute" idiots. Obviously these dim-wits don't follow the news reports of the countless animals in the shelter that are put to death each day because there are not enough homes for them all.

So many people are just plain stupid.

It should be mandatory that high school kids spend a week working at the shelter and find out exactly what really happens to that cute little puppy/kitten in the window later in life when their owners get tired of them.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
THANK YOU posters for educating these fools (who want to breed). If anything, they at least had one person tell them the truth. Please don't let that stop you from educating the next idiotic person you cross paths with. There is a difference between improving a breed and trying to make a buck!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

AMEN AMAZON!!!! LOL Well said.....

Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Well...before I take too many pats on the back...let me state,I no longer breed..and haven't since moving here to Texas. PUPPIES ARE ALOT OF WORK! If raised right of course. Every single darn time I had a litter, I'd swear I'd never do it again.
First few weeks are a breeze...Mom basically does all the work, from the feeding to the cleaning up. All one has to is make sure the bedding is always dry and clean. Note..washer and drier running 24/7.
Then the fun part comes....Puppies become mobil...which means they can get out of any box contraption one can build, unless it has cover over it...Mom hates covers because she can not get to her babies. So..............babies are moved out to the garage...cars are cleared out and Hubby has heart failure because his "babies" have to sit in the driveway.
Wake up 6am...head straight out to the garage to clean up a nights worth of pee and poop. Of course, the cute lil darlings can't just pee and poop, we have to play slip and slide in it all. All pups...and I usually had no less than 10....max was 13...must be given a bath. NO ONE like to love and cuddle a stinky puppy. After each pup is given a bath, they are put into one of three playpens to be kept clean...while I now have to clean and disenfect the garage floor. All this time, they are crying and yelping for attention. Floor is dry...let em all out...and they immeadiately start to pee and poop (again). Follow them around and clean up with one of the rolls from the 30+ cases of papertowels you must invest in. OK....Time to eat...feed....as they finish..what goes in..must come out....take each one out to the grasss to start the house training process for their new owners. During that time..some can't wait...more pee and poop....repeat the whole papertowel process. Nap time...
I get to have some breakfast..maybe catch a shower...but guess what..there are 10 puppies out in the garage that need to pee and poop.......after their nap...and they of course, want some love and attention. (MY absolute fav. part) One always walks around the garage with a roll of paper towels...trash bags are filled every hour.....The process repeats throughout the day. If you should leave for the house for more than 3 hrs....You pay dearly when you return...lots of pee and poop...and probably more baths.
We use to line the opening of the garage with anything and everything that would keep the pups in...A barrier if you will....so I could open the garage doors (3 of them) and the pups could get some fresh air and sunshine.(Doors only open when I, or someone from the immeadiate family was out there to supervise). Alot of times, we use coolers with something heavy in them to keep them stationary...Mom would jump over or even sleep on them to keep an watchful eye for her pups, but out of the way of the razor sharp claws and teeth. 10 puppies can be overwhelming, even to a seasoned Mom.
Unbeknownst to me...my husband had put cement in one of the coolers. One morning, I opened up the door leading out to the garage...and there was all the puppies...they had 1) knocked over the cooler and chewed on the cement bag...cement was all over the floor...2) had gotten into those cases of papertowels I was talking about..and ripped them to shreds..it looked like it had snowed...and 3) proceeded to pee in it all...so hardened cement with pee and papertowels mixed in. And of course, every single pup had hardened cement all over them! It took me hrs to get it all cleaned up. My husband came home from work and I just let it all out and cried..and cried and cried somemore. I swore never ever again...and had anyone come by the house that day I would have gladly given them one or more puppies to take home right then and there! (Thought it...but never did it)
So if anyone thinks puppies are an easy task or there's a dime to be made...think again!!!!!!!!!!!
There's also all the time and effort sifting thru prospective families. I have to say, I met some of the nicest people and still keep in touch to this day...but there were some real jerks out there too. More than once I lost my temper with some real idiots. They failed to see, these pups may have well as been MY babies. The people who went home with them had to prove to ME they were worthy. Too much work and love would go into them to just pass them off to anyone.
Lastly, I don't want to even think of the vet and food bills, let alone all of my time. For at least 9-10 weeks your are chained to the house with those puppies.
So why does a breeder do it then....Puppy
Breath...and the distinct satisfaction of raising some champions in both Show and Field.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Smile Puppies!

That is soooo hilarious, and true! I love it, and Thanks for posting so everyone can hear the real truth.......
I have to share this one with you! I had taken one of my females to the vet today, and made a quick trip into wal-mart picked up a few things & put them in the back of my SUV with my sheltie. I picked up a package of burito seasoning so I could make dinner tonight. As I am driving I SMELL something, smells like burito seasoning & I thought "Oh Rosie" you didn't. Yep, she did, got the packet out of the sack & opened it up for me in the back of the SUV.....Hilarious! Had it on her paws & in her fur......I just had to laugh at that one. I shoulda known.....

Old 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM

200 posts, read 979,581 times
ShelbyGirl1, your amazing LOL.

People don't realize that much attention must be given to puppies, that they need to be constantly supervised, or that they needs shots, the immediate areas need to be clean of feces, and that they need socialization, and foundation to become a good dog.

These backyard breeders let the puppies go wild, don't care or interact with them, don't give them proper nutrition, give them to whoever, and worst of all in my opinion, let them rot in the backyard, take them away from their moms at really young ages, which can cause a lot of behavioral problems down the road.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarosekennel View Post
That is soooo hilarious, and true! I love it, and Thanks for posting so everyone can hear the real truth.......
I have to share this one with you! I had taken one of my females to the vet today, and made a quick trip into wal-mart picked up a few things & put them in the back of my SUV with my sheltie. I picked up a package of burito seasoning so I could make dinner tonight. As I am driving I SMELL something, smells like burito seasoning & I thought "Oh Rosie" you didn't. Yep, she did, got the packet out of the sack & opened it up for me in the back of the SUV.....Hilarious! Had it on her paws & in her fur......I just had to laugh at that one. I shoulda known.....
LOL...and I LOVE her name! LOL...my name is Rosemary...so many of my pups were named after me...Rosie! I, of course, always took it as the highest compliment to be paid!
Even more of a compliment when people came back for 2nds or 3rds on pups. Showed me I was doing something right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs