U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM

200 posts, read 567,077 times

Advertisements

I'm all for responsible breeding(pets that have been health certified, trained, registered, working on their CH, guaranteed at least up to a year, willing to take back and find a better home for it, by breeders who understand what they are doing).
But I hate random people all the time talking about breeding their dogs(these dogs have no papers, no health exams or certifications, no training, and most of the time, people are creating mutts based on "they'll look so cool, pretty, etc...").

This morning, a lady in a truck noticed Diamond in the backseat and pulled her boxer on her lap. Told me her boxer was 11 months old (about 60 lbs, slightly larger than Diamond), she's going to breed her when she's one to the bull mastiff in the back, this thing was huge, she told me 150 lbs, "wouldn't they make pretty babies?"
I started telling her the health risks of getting a female pregnant at one, how the puppies and mother might get hurt or die, how bull mastiffs are known for hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, etc...that she should really get it checked out, how her dogs are not papered, we do not need anymore mutts in shelters...she ended up telling me to "f*** off" but still I feel like I've tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM

5,046 posts, read 8,333,424 times
Funny you mention that. I was at the dog park, and there was a woman with a 1 yr old golden retriever, who was in heat by the way and that's against park policy. Anyway, I overheard her telling another woman that her dog is "the most beautiful and would have pretty babies" so she was looking for a mate. No papers, no health tests, just a willing partner. I told her that she really shouldn't breed if she is not striving to improve the breed, and she told me to mind my own business. Yup, I'm sure I'll see puppies in the near future. It's a shame. We have an English Bulldog and constantly meet people that want to breed theirs because they can make money. We can't wait to get ours neutered and are not going to contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,124,764 times
Most people don't have a clue what the responsibilities are of breeding (cats or dogs). They figure throwing a male and female together, spit out a litter and it's done. As a breeder I got unbelievable calls...I'd explain all the certifications they had...and then get into the contract part...and people would go nuts! Contract? To sell a dog???????????? Breeding rights? Pay for breeding rights? OK them????????????One man...and I would never use the term "gentleman" because he was such a jerk, told me in no way, shape or form could I stop him from breeding his dog if I wanted. His kids wanted a litter "just to see" and that was it. I, in no uncertain terms, told him...1) I wouldn't sell to him if he was the last dumba$$ on Earth. Furthermore, spread his name to every reputable breeder in the state to insure no one sold him a dog. And I did!
Of course, I'm more than sure he found some BYB to sell him some poor little female and she spit out a litter...of which he had no clue of what to do with. All those people/friends who told him they'd take a pup disappear into the woodwork when the time comes.
My daughter has a Munchkin cattery now and runs into the much of the same. Everyone wants to have just one litter "for the kids". No clue to genetics and bettering the breed or the fact of all the unwanted animals sitting in shelters. And talking to these people is like talking to a brick wall.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I told her that she really shouldn't breed if she is not striving to improve the breed, and she told me to mind my own business. Yup, I'm sure I'll see puppies in the near future. It's a shame. We have an English Bulldog and constantly meet people that want to breed theirs because they can make money. We can't wait to get ours neutered and are not going to contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.
Thank you for talking to her even though she's a ....., thank you for being a responsible dog owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Most people don't have a clue what the responsibilities are of breeding (cats or dogs). They figure throwing a male and female together, spit out a litter and it's done. As a breeder I got unbelievable calls...I'd explain all the certifications they had...and then get into the contract part...and people would go nuts! Contract? To sell a dog???????????? Breeding rights? Pay for breeding rights? OK them????????????One man...and I would never use the term "gentleman" because he was such a jerk, told me in no way, shape or form could I stop him from breeding his dog if I wanted. His kids wanted a litter "just to see" and that was it. I, in no uncertain terms, told him...1) I wouldn't sell to him if he was the last dumba$$ on Earth. Furthermore, spread his name to every reputable breeder in the state to insure no one sold him a dog. And I did!
Of course, I'm more than sure he found some BYB to sell him some poor little female and she spit out a litter...of which he had no clue of what to do with. All those people/friends who told him they'd take a pup disappear into the woodwork when the time comes.
My daughter has a Munchkin cattery now and runs into the much of the same. Everyone wants to have just one litter "for the kids". No clue to genetics and bettering the breed or the fact of all the unwanted animals sitting in shelters. And talking to these people is like talking to a brick wall.
Kudos for being a responsible breeder, I don't understand people breeding for their kids to see. What the hell?! If your kids want to see that, put animal planet on or something, why would you bring 4 or more dogs into their world that is already over-populated and killing dogs daily. If your kids ask to see how a gun works, are you just going shoot a bird to let them see?! I don't understand it, ugh, sometimes just make me want to chuck a shoe at them...and some

Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,413,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have run into the same thing here as well with our Alaskan Malamutes. Some people just don't get it. It's not about the money, heck by time the Vet bills are paid, reg papers, shots, deworming and any test...one is lucky to even break even. It has to be about bettering the breed and one needs at least a basic understanding of genetics, biology and animal husbandry in order to do just that. I can't stand byb and I even stopped talking to a childhood friend of mine who constantly talked about breeding her paperless pits because she could make all kinds of money. We tell everyone and have it in our contract that if they can't keep their new pup they agree to give him/her back to us. We guarantee them for 2 years, and we keep our prices in a higher range so not just anyone can buy them. We have nutritional requirements and most of ours go with Limited Registration. I am seriously considering microchipping them before they leave as well.
Thank you as well for being a responsible breeder

Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,140,680 times
Quote:
Please just talk to the next person who talk about breeding their pets...
Can't I just smack them upside the head instead?

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Can't I just smack them upside the head instead?
Lol...ha, there's been many times I've wanted to do that.

But I can't since I'm a pit bull owner, and people will think my dog gets her "violent" tendencies from me, or vice versa

Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,140,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
Lol...ha, there's been many times I've wanted to do that.

But I can't since I'm a pit bull owner, and people will think my dog gets her "violent" tendencies from me, or vice versa
LOL I have a Cattle Dog, so I'll nip 'em in the heels instead!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,023,369 times
I think I have spoken up enough about breeding and how I feel in the past.

I want you to know I did have some luck with a nurse I work with he was telling me he was going to breed his young Aussie. I asked him why and he said cause she is so cute and I think it would be fun to have puppies. Well that did it and I told him what I thought about that and believe it or not he decided not to breed her and she was spayed a short time later! So everynow and then you will meet someone that will listen because they never even thought about the big picture but just about the fun puppies would be. To be fair this guy does listen to me when it has to do with dogs as he knows I know dogs.When he wanted a change in breeds I suggested he look into an aussie and she is the love of his life.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 PM

39 posts, read 58,961 times
Default Responsible Breeding

Im with you guys on this one! The reason we built a huge shop & kennel was because when we were looking for shelties of good quality, it was very difficult. We wanted to see the environment the puppies was raised in, and especially the temperment of the mother & father. Most of the places we visited made me feel horrible.
It is amazing how much time I have actually spent talking to reputable breeders, reading books, studying online etc.
We have already experienced heartache, & sometimes I wonder if I have the "toughness" it takes because I love them so much!
I know some people are definitely in it just for the money & It makes me sick. However we do all the genetic testing, shots etc, & study the pedigrees to make sure they are a good match before we actually ever breed. All our breedings are planned months ahead of time & we only have a couple litters a year.....
Our puppies go out on a limited registration as well!!!!

Last edited by Murphysmom; 01-30-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs