Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Honeycrisp -- thanks so much for the info. It looks like Artie is going to be eating better than we eat! And those cute pics were definitely cute!

I have the Kong in the freezer with plain, low-fat, non-sugared yogurt in it. He's going to go crazy for it, I just know it!

What a good idea to actually put his kibble in there too, because Artie seems to know that there's better food to be had than that (like people food!), so this may make it enticing.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,421 times
This may sound a little stupid but how do you freeze a Kong? Do you add water inside it so that the water freezes? Or do you just put in a treat and throw the Kong in the freezer? If so, how that help?? Sorry for the lame question... I have quite figured this out

Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
WOuld just put the Kong in the freezer with whatever you want to put in it (ie, thin layer of peanutbutter, cheesewhiz etc). It does have to be cleaned well afterwards or it could get moldy etc, maybe a baby's bottle brush would help clean out the grooves in it (or maybe in the top shelf of the dishwasher), I bet there's a 1 800 # on the cardboard packaging or on their website. If he really likes it, maybe investing in a 2nd one would make life easier. Best of luck with it ;-)

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM

82 posts, read 440,122 times
So do they bite on it and it squeezes the treats out?

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
I have three Kongs and they go in the top rack of the dishwasher all of the time with no problems.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM

103 posts, read 427,949 times
I coat the insides of the Kong (using a small spatula) with peanut butter and then squeeze the Kong so I can fit in a couple of MilkBone biscuits.

My dogs will bite it, toss it up in the air or bounce it on the floor to get the biscuits out. The sucking sound is pretty gross. I will freeze them too - especially good when company comes. Dogs don't even get up to see who's at the door.

About an hour of distraction for them..not more than 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. I used to use cheese but I found that didn't last long.

As far as getting them clean, the tip is always a problem. I soak them upside down in some hot water and then use a baby bottle brush. I throw them in the dishwasher for good measure.

This has been the best thing for my dogs. In the last 7 years, I've only had to replace one Kong. I have three dogs and all of them are good chewers.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,560 times
Frozen kongs are great. You can get really creative with the flavor combinations and vary from dessert kongs to savory kongs. The following are some of the kongs I've made for my dog.

Fruity kong
Low fat yogurt, plain or flavored (but NO artificial sweetener) and/or unsweetened applesauce
Frozen or fresh fruit, diced (strawberries, mangoes, apples, blueberries, etc. NO grapes or raisins!)
Nutro dessert can (optional, but helps give it some consistency, and my dog loves them)
Some kibble, oats, cheerios
Bits of soft/chewey dog treat or hot dogs

Veggie Kong
Low fat plain yogurt and/or 100% canned pumpkin (not pie mix, 100% pure unsweetened stuff)
Veggies, pureed (carrots, broccoli, etc)
Gravy or similar dogfood topping (optional)

Peanut butter & Banana
Low fat plain yogurt and/or unsweetened applesauce
Ripe banana, mashed
Nutro dessert can (optional, but helps give it some consistency, and my dog loves them)

I personally like giving my dog chunky treats to work to fish out of her kong, but they're totally optional. All you have to do is mix the ingredients to the desired consistency, stuff the kong, and freeze overnight.

Stuffing tip: If you mix everything in a ziploc baggie, seal it, and then snip one corner off, you can use the baggie to squeeze the contents into the kong opening instead of trying to spoon the mess in. Just a tip.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the additional ideas!!!!

The yogurt one has been in the freezer since yesterday morning. I'm going to break it out while I'm having lunch (which usually involves Artie sitting next to me, giving me the puppy-dog eyes indicating that he'd like me to share) so that he's busy while I'm eating. I'm going to bet that he's going to love it -- he certainly loved when I put the peanut butter in the other day.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,421 times
Thanks for your replies, and thanks DandJ for letting me temporarily hijack your thread!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
Thanks for your replies, and thanks DandJ for letting me temporarily hijack your thread!
My pleasure! Any time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs