Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where dooes your dog live?
My dog is an indoor pet that goes in the fenced yard when I am home. 85 48.57%
My dog is an indoor pet that is walked on a leash. 56 32.00%
My dog has a doggy door and goes in or out at will. 17 9.71%
My dog stays outside during the day and is brought in at night. 10 5.71%
My dog is an outside dog and lives in my fenced yard. 5 2.86%
My dog is an outside dog and has a long leash. 0 0%
My dog lives in a pen outside. 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

I completely understand and appreciate that some dogs are working dogs with the accompanying temperament, and need/want a job to do.
I agree with Happydawglady that researching the breeds is important.
I appreciate the fact than unlike some (not all!) hunters there are responsible dog owners who keep their working dogs well fed and well cared for.
I can't imagine working sled dogs of any breed wanting to live a cushy couch potato life, but there are Huskies out there who are house dogs and only run with their jogging owners, and Labs who only retrieve tennis balls.
My dog is of an ancient breed, but mostly he is a companion animal, though he is an excellent guard dog. He has two jobs, companionship and watching out for us, and he does them well, mostly from inside the house.
The outside dogs that I see are not living productive, fulfilled lives.
They are on heavy chains and they have little interaction with anyone, canine or human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 AM

585 posts, read 614,090 times
I wasn't sure how to vote here. We have 4 dogs and 4 cats. We live in a rural area so all of our cats live outside, keeps the field mice down. We have two small dogs that live in the home, too small to protect themselves, and two large dogs that live outside on very long leases and released daily for exercise, they tend to notify us of snakes and visitors. Plus all of our pets were rescued animals. We all have a soft heart and there will probably be more added to our family before it is all said and done. Bless you all who have taken in an animal who had no where else to go!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 AM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
We are currently fostering a newfoundland mix, who has very thick fur. He spent the first 5 years of his life in a 5x8 kennel. Until we took him he had never lived in a house. His first few days were spent housebreaking him. He now loves to go out, but loves coming back inside better. He has joined the rest of the pack and adapted well. I would never leave him outside all the time. He stays out as long as he wants but will always have the option of coming back in. He will never go back to a kennel or be adopted by someone who would leave him outside all the time. He doesn't even like to go out when it's raining.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
He will never go back to a kennel or be adopted by someone who would leave him outside all the time.
Bless you for taking him in, but I do have a question. Are you saying that I should have let the pound put the animals to sleep that I have if I am not willing to let them all stay indoors? And if yes, why?

Again, I am just curious and not lashing out.

Our pets outside have the option of going inside a four stall garage to flee from the weather if they wish. They are all very healthy and cared for in a loving way. To me that is much better than if I had let the pound do what they are required to do because of over population. Small, young animals will get adopted first and sadly a lot of the older ones will perish.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:25 PM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
Simplyaged, I'm not offended. The reasons he would not go to someone who left him outside;
1)He has too thick of a coat to be left in a kennel in the hot sun.
2) NE winters are too cold to be left outside overnight. Temp can get way below zero, in the minus 20's with the wind chill factor.

Our other dogs are a jack russell (with hardly any fur) and cockers (who are kept clipped) who weren't meant to live outside. I can't leave one out and the rest in.

Depending on the breed, some animals do better outside than in. I don't think that animals who have a shelter such as garage or shed are truly considered an outdoor pet. I'm talking about the idiots who will tie a dog outside 24/7. I have seen too many tied to a stake in the dirt or in a small kennel with no shade. I would rather seem them euthanized humanely than exist (can't call it living) like that.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Casey,

True, I to have seen dogs that were just there. Someone who did not have water or food visible either in the heat of summer. And I'm not sorry to say that I took it upon myself to frequent this place until they got familiar with me while the so-called owner was away. This eventually led to my helping them escape to a safe house where they would be loved. They both have become good friends of mine and are very happy where they are now.

Sometimes you have to help those who can't help themselves. Yes I did go through the channels first but 2 days then 2 weeks and I couldn't take it anymore.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I completely understand and appreciate that some dogs are working dogs with the accompanying temperament, and need/want a job to do.
I agree with Happydawglady that researching the breeds is important.
I appreciate the fact than unlike some (not all!) hunters there are responsible dog owners who keep their working dogs well fed and well cared for.
I can't imagine working sled dogs of any breed wanting to live a cushy couch potato life, but there are Huskies out there who are house dogs and only run with their jogging owners, and Labs who only retrieve tennis balls.
My dog is of an ancient breed, but mostly he is a companion animal, though he is an excellent guard dog. He has two jobs, companionship and watching out for us, and he does them well, mostly from inside the house.
The outside dogs that I see are not living productive, fulfilled lives.
They are on heavy chains and they have little interaction with anyone, canine or human.
We are also so passionate about our animals and that is so wonderful. I am constantly amazed that people simply do not get that a chained dog is an unhappy dog, be he/she a city or country dog and then blame the dog--and lots of these dogs owners are educated enough scholastically but too lazy to go online or check out their library by doing the "pick a dog right for you"
questionnaires that are so readily available. So happydawglady and Cil you are both right. Perhaps some of the "chain gang" would like a try at being chained themselves for a few days!!!

Since my dogs both enjoy working so much and we are considering a move into a community where we would have to fence our dogs (although we would get a very large yard), I am wondering how you all have made out with large dogs inside. This is one of my main concerns about a possible move...I am really worried that the dogs will not like living in the house or yard because they have 20 acres now to run on. Any and all advice appreciated.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb dogs inside-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
On another thread in the Florida forum, I asked a poster if his/her dogs were left outside?

A response that came from a different poster was: What kind of nasty idiot would keep Rotties in their house? Hell yes, they are left outside all the time.

To those of you with dogs- do you keep them indoors, outdoors or both. And why.
I would never label a person an idiot for sheltering their dogs inside: i.e.; if you live in Florida, it is outright cruel to leave them out- they could dehydrate- My shar-pei could not handle the heat down there. Even with a doggie door- they would go in the yard at times, but in the Florida heat they PREFERRED to be inside in the central air!.

sunny

Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I would never label a person an idiot for sheltering their dogs inside: i.e.; if you live in Florida, it is outright cruel to leave them out- they could dehydrate- My shar-pei could not handle the heat down there. Even with a doggie door- they would go in the yard at times, but in the Florida heat they PREFERRED to be inside in the central air!.

sunny
A guy a couple of miles away from me was backyard Rottie breeder. He didn't care about his dogs or who he sold his puppies to. He sold them really cheap and alot of local "tough guy" types bought them. The local by-law officer has been to see him more than a few times. I live in a climate where it can be -30C like today (and colder in January and February), and then 40C
in the summer (over 100). Imagine keeping dogs outside in that. Two very different extremes that require two different responses and that idiot always kept his dogs outside until he got fined one too many times. Sadly enough he is also the parent of two small children....who also go into care on occasion.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb well-

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
A guy a couple of miles away from me was backyard Rottie breeder. He didn't care about his dogs or who he sold his puppies to. He sold them really cheap and alot of local "tough guy" types bought them. The local by-law officer has been to see him more than a few times. I live in a climate where it can be -30C like today (and colder in January and February), and then 40C
in the summer (over 100). Imagine keeping dogs outside in that. Two very different extremes that require two different responses and that idiot always kept his dogs outside until he got fined one too many times. Sadly enough he is also the parent of two small children....who also go into care on occasion.
That is animal cruelty. Dogs dehydrate alot faster than people. And also- the cold is also an issue. Can you report him?. -30 C is inhumane. Ever watch Animal Cops: Detroit- they have a very good show.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs