Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where dooes your dog live?
My dog is an indoor pet that goes in the fenced yard when I am home. 85 48.57%
My dog is an indoor pet that is walked on a leash. 56 32.00%
My dog has a doggy door and goes in or out at will. 17 9.71%
My dog stays outside during the day and is brought in at night. 10 5.71%
My dog is an outside dog and lives in my fenced yard. 5 2.86%
My dog is an outside dog and has a long leash. 0 0%
My dog lives in a pen outside. 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times

Advertisements

Yes we did report him so many times I guess he finally got sick of breeding. But the real problem is that these were "purebred rotties" without papers, and of course they had huge litters, and always around Christmas. I don't even think people should be allowed to advertise purebred animals unless they are registered. So there are still people breeding with his rottie puppies who are now grown up I bet alot of these dogs have wound up in the pound or euthanized because of his irresponsibility.

And he still keeps getting his kids back too..go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Ever watch Animal Cops: Detroit- they have a very good show.

I literally had to stop watching that show. Those animal control people are absolutely wonderful, and I know that not every ending was unhappy.
I just couldn't watch it anymore; too sad.

Taigagirl
In terms of helping your dogs adjust, I can tell you that my friend who adopted the female Pyrenees (she thinks this dog had been a working dog) has indeed had a period of adjustment, but she seems to be okay now. It took awhile though--my friend really had to work with her.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 AM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
My husband found a kitten laying in the middle of a busy street that been hit by a car. When he went to shovel her out (thinking she was dead and didn't want the school bus of kids to see her) she looked at him and meowed. He took her to the closest vet. She had been hit in the face and had swelling on her brain. For 9 days straight I asked around, posted, and checked on the cat. She did survive and we took her home because no one claimed her. When we were bringing her back to be spayed and given shots, the woman at the office said she had talked to the owner. They casually mentioned they had lost their kitten because they hadn't seen it around for a little while. This was 3 months later. The cat is deaf and should have never been an outdoor cat. They were never told the cat had been hit, lived, and found a new home.
A friend, who is the dog officer, took a golden retriever tied to a tree with a big chain away from her owners. Unfortunately the law is so lax, it would have taken weeks to go to court. She went when there was no one home. She placed the dog with a loving family. It took the previous owners 2 weeks to even notice the dog was gone. It was really considered theft of property, but, I applaud her. I would also do the same thing if circumstances were bad.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
Oh Casey, thanks for those two inspiring stories. Sadly, it has been left to those who have the right heart to take care of the innocent animals that had the misfortune of having shi**y owners "own" them. Bless your husband and yourself for doing the RIGHT thing, and bless your friend, for also doing the RIGHT thing. The humane laws are so inhumane and LAX that they are really useless. I applaud both actions with pride

Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 PM

157 posts, read 564,511 times
Quote:
JustSayNo Oh Casey, thanks for those two inspiring stories. Sadly, it has been left to those who have the right heart to take care of the innocent animals that had the misfortune of having shi**y owners "own" them. Bless your husband and yourself for doing the RIGHT thing, and bless your friend, for also doing the RIGHT thing. The humane laws are so inhumane and LAX that they are really useless. I applaud both actions with pride
I know what you mean about the laws. I think that's why we ended up with 9 dogs (foster & ours) and 4 cats!
The funny part is she became the cat from hell. The first 3 months she was recuperating she was perfect. She was then put on antibiotics for an infection. I actually called the vet hoping it was a side effect from the drugs. I was told "welcome to your true cat". She has broken sooo many things, climbed everything in site, and went through 5 window blinds in a week. She even broke the center brace of the 55g fish tank. She actually went in the 29g with the light and cover. (talk about 9 lives) She is now almost 5 and is starting to calm down. She will actually sleep on top of the front door when it's open.
I think my husband regets saving her! Just kidding I think.
The kidnapped dog is happy with her new owners and doing great.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM

364 posts, read 527,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
My husband found a kitten laying in the middle of a busy street that been hit by a car. When he went to shovel her out (thinking she was dead and didn't want the school bus of kids to see her) she looked at him and meowed. He took her to the closest vet. She had been hit in the face and had swelling on her brain. For 9 days straight I asked around, posted, and checked on the cat. She did survive and we took her home because no one claimed her. When we were bringing her back to be spayed and given shots, the woman at the office said she had talked to the owner. They casually mentioned they had lost their kitten because they hadn't seen it around for a little while. This was 3 months later. The cat is deaf and should have never been an outdoor cat. They were never told the cat had been hit, lived, and found a new home.
A friend, who is the dog officer, took a golden retriever tied to a tree with a big chain away from her owners. Unfortunately the law is so lax, it would have taken weeks to go to court. She went when there was no one home. She placed the dog with a loving family. It took the previous owners 2 weeks to even notice the dog was gone. It was really considered theft of property, but, I applaud her. I would also do the same thing if circumstances were bad.
Good to hear. I mean c'mon screw the law this is a living thing with feelings and needs. Exactly what I would have done and close to things I have done.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Some nice posts here. You know it is so positive to hear about animal rescues. Cil- I agree someitmes it is sad to watch (Animal Cops)- but maybe it helps to educate people about leaving animals out in the cold, etc.

Animals bring out the best in people- My Mom always had dogs and was severely depressed when our German Shepherd died. I am afraid I will have major grief too. My dogs are my children!

sunny

Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
I do watch Animal Cops sometimes, but it really gets to me. My pets are my kids too, so I can't imagine life without them even though I have lost several pets due to longevity...but it never gets easier. So I just have to remember the unconditional love the guys all gave me.

Thanks for the helpful comment about the Great Pyr, Cyl. I do not know if we will be relocating....until we find the right spot where we can be happy with our pets

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,049 times
Hi. I am new. We keep Bruno inside the house and our pup Chico who is 3 months old sleeps outside in his crate chained at night in a fenced in area. and also comes in the house during the day or when we leave. I am from Portugal where it is common that people's dogs live outdoors and on chains(mostly large dogs). I do agree though why have a dog if you are just going to leave him outside. I don't understand why my parents do this to our pup.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,460 times
Indoor during the day when I work, and in and out to play and go potty when I'm home or after I get home from work. Then every night either walking on leash or a trip to the local park where no activity is happening to run wild.

When I am working half days I take one of the dogs with me... taking both would be too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs