U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where dooes your dog live?
My dog is an indoor pet that goes in the fenced yard when I am home. 84 48.28%
My dog is an indoor pet that is walked on a leash. 56 32.18%
My dog has a doggy door and goes in or out at will. 17 9.77%
My dog stays outside during the day and is brought in at night. 10 5.75%
My dog is an outside dog and lives in my fenced yard. 5 2.87%
My dog is an outside dog and has a long leash. 0 0%
My dog lives in a pen outside. 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,799,854 times

Advertisements

On another thread in the Florida forum, I asked a poster if his/her dogs were left outside?

A response that came from a different poster was: What kind of nasty idiot would keep Rotties in their house? Hell yes, they are left outside all the time.

To those of you with dogs- do you keep them indoors, outdoors or both. And why.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 03-14-2007 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,352,796 times
My Cassy (lab/golden mix) is and has always been a indoor dog. As soon as we find our home to buy we will add a fence for a nice yard for her to enjoy at her pleasure. She is part of our family and I could never keep a dog chained outside. As a matter of fact, I hate seeing dogs chained outside.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,167,312 times
HEREINFLA, good gracious, that was quite a reaction that you got from the one poster! Wow! I go on the FL forum, but I guess I missed that one. As to my dogs, they are spoiled rotten. The two big ones have a bed in the living room, and my Jack/Rat has his own bed, by the side of mine. He sleeps by my feet, when I'm on the computer. I have a fenced-in backyard, so they can go out, anytime they want. So, I guess I would say they are indoor dogs, with outdoor access!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 AM

525 posts, read 2,154,646 times
Indoors, out with us on leash or in fenced in. There is no reason to have a dog if the poor soul is left outside alone-on chains, leashes, in pens. Dogs are pack animals, they are hardwired to be part of a pack, which is their family. Chaining, penning, or neglecting creates severe mental issues, ie aggression and behavior problems (I wonder why) in most dogs that "live" in these condiditons.

There is NO REASON to have a dog and just use it as a lawn ornament. If the dog can't be part of the family, than do not get a dog. Just MHO

Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,110,314 times
I have never understood why people get pets just to leave them in the yard & ignore them.

I also have a spoiled rotten dog, and two spoiled rotten cats. Everyone of them has their own bed, but they much prefer to sleep with me.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,237,624 times
My dogs are never left outside unattended. The back portion of the yard is not fenced so I take them out on their leash each time.
I have an issue with people that leave dogs outside in very hot weather without water.
At the other end of the spectrum are the "owners" that choose to let their dogs run wild throughout the neighborhood. Where I am currently there is a leash law in several cities. That should be mandatory in all cities, IMO.
One of my dogs that I rescued was left abandoned and chained in a yard by it's so-called "owner".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...-lovers-4.html Page 4, last post. =)

Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM

489 posts, read 1,859,429 times
Great thread! Was so relieved to see the poll results. All of my pets are indoors. The cat never goes outside for any reason, with the exception of having access to the screened-in balcony.

Dogs are social animals and need to be part of a pack. I hate seeing them left outdoors or tied to a tree by a chain outside. It breaks my heart - not to mention their precious hearts.

The response that you received concerning "Rotties" is at the real heart of the so-called "dangerous breed" . . . improper handling. Dogs need to learn social skills, and they do not learn them by being left outside to suffer broken hearts due to isolation and "pack mentality" due to spending time with other dogs only.

Our pets also have full access to our bed anytime. They also have their own beds; however, they seem to prefer ours!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
I saw that thread and decided to stay out of it.
I am one of those "nasty idiots" who keeps a large dog in my home.
Elwood stays in the house when I'm gone. When I am home, he can go outside in his fenced yard. He gets two walks a day.

There are dogs here who spend their lives on chains. They have food, shelter and water, but their only exercise is lunging around on a heavy chain.
There are dogs here who run loose whenever they feel like it.
I saw one of them just yesterday; his number finally came up on Highway 98.
They had his body cleaned up by the afternoon.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 AM

364 posts, read 396,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have never understood why people get pets just to leave them in the yard & ignore them.

I also have a spoiled rotten dog, and two spoiled rotten cats. Everyone of them has their own bed, but they much prefer to sleep with me.
Yes, I agree. You do not get them to leave them outside. That kind of attitude makes me sick. Anyone else who is a dog lover knows they are living things with feelings and need love and attention just as much as food and water.

As for my gang, I don't like to use the word spoiled. I care for them 100%. My two labs sleep with me, my Shih Tzu sleeps in her own bed and my Chow sleeps on the couch. He is the watchdog so he rarely stays in one place.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 AM

525 posts, read 2,154,646 times
Oh, I am thrilled by these answers so far! We share with two Sheherds and 3 cats-all indoors, and we woulndn't have it any other way. They are a very important part of our family-fur and all. It is nonsense that large dogs can't be in, people are larger and they fit it just fine! It is a combo of ignorance, laziness, and negligence that causes all the "lawn ornaments" we all see each day. In rescue there is a saying, there are worse altenatives to death. Lunging on a chain with no compainship, training, shelter, food, or water is one of them!

Three cheers to all of you excellent pet guardians! I thank each and every one of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or