Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times

Advertisements

Lots of people don't understand that the Pit Bull breed is broken down into a couple of "divisions". There is the American Pit Bull Terrier, The Blue Nose Terrier and the Staffordshire Terrier. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not quite so muscled up and fierce looking. The Blue Nose actually has a pink nose and is a tad more fierce looking and the Staffordshire has the shovel shaped head. I have done TONS of research on the Pit Bull which is why I am such an advocate. You are correct, perfect dog to take into your sunset years. I am 61 myself, have just recooperated from open heart surgery and my little pit was partially responsible for my quick recovery. She spent a great amount of time cuddling with me, walking with me and just being my friend. I love her to death. Good luck with your Pit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
The American Pit Bull Terrier is not quite so muscled up and fierce looking.
Especially mine.... she's chubbied up and sweet looking.

Man oh man, I LOVE this dog.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you have a quiet, calm dog? What kind is he/she??

How can you tell when you adopt one from a shelter or private party??
I have a Siberian Husky and he's extremely calm and quiet. He rarely barks...which is great, since we live in an apartment complex with people all around us! He does woo-woo occasionally, mostly when he's backtalking or giving me sass. (A woo-woo is typical of Sibes.) But in general he's a non-barker. Thank God! I've owned two Shelties before, and I swear, I've gotten the point where I just hate a barky dog. (My dog's sister, who belongs to my parents, is a HUGE barker, and it's like an ice pick in the ear-drum. I hate it.)

All dogs are individuals, obviously, but in general, Sibes are a low-bark breed.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I think you can find almost any breed of dog which one owner says his/her dog barks all the time or hardly at all. I think a lot of it has to do with the breeding and how the puppy is raised.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
Basenjis don't bark at all. They do occasionally yodel. They're pretty active dogs, though, so you probably wouldn't consider them calm.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM

149 posts, read 762,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think you can find almost any breed of dog which one owner says his/her dog barks all the time or hardly at all.
Agree.

Quote:
I think a lot of it has to do with the breeding and how the puppy is raised.
I think it has to do with personality/temperment as well as the breed. For example we have 2 poodles, unrelated. One is from a family of crazy barkers and when they would see strangers coming they would go into a frenzy. But she rarely ever barks and when she does it's only a couple "woofs". Our other dog's mother & family was very quiet but she tends to be more of a barker...she is also more dominant and likes to defend her territory when she sees strangers.

I think the dogs that tend to bark the most are terriers and the least are sighthounds, but it's just a generalization.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
I have a 5 month old mutt who is, at best guess, a shepherd (Belgian or GSD)/lab/pit mix.

He is fairly quiet. We have a neighborhood full of dogs and 90% of them bark at him (two huskys and another dog, unsure of the breed, do not bark). He never barks back. He will stand there and watch them bark at him.

If someone walks down the street past our property, while we are outside together, he will let out a low growl and I will correct him and he usually will not bark. If I do not reassure him or if I ignore the growling, he will bark. He ceases the protective behavior once a person enters our driveway and I greet them.

He will bark at vehicles after they pass - am working on correcting that.

He will bark if he is outside and no one is with him and he is tired of playing by himself. Usually its a lonely, I want to play with you, bark. Because I don't want him turning into a constant barker like our neighborhood dogs, I try to avoid leaving him outside when no one is out there (the kids go in and out so sometimes he is out there alone).

He is quiet but not calm!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Unless someone owns a Pit Bull that hasn't been trained to fight they just don't get it, do they? One of the descriptions given in the book I got on Pits is that they are "eerily quiet" and that is so true. My husband's cousin raises them and has small kids around them all the time. Never has been an issue. Love your pit and they will give you nothing but love and devotion back!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I have 4 GSDs in my neighborhood, and all 4 of them have the biggest[mod] symbols ]/mod] mouths I've ever heard on a dog. They never stop. The one across the street still barks off at me every time I venture out my front door, and I've lived here since the summer of '04. The neighborhood I moved from also featured a GSD like this across the street from me.

The two next door are loud, annoying and bark at everything. So was the one that preceded them, the one the owners took to the County kill shelter when she killed one of their hens.

Is this a GSD thing? Due to these 5 dogs, GSDs aren't exactly on my hit parade at the moment. Am I wrong?

Last edited by leorah; 02-21-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
My American Pit Bull Terriers are quit. They rarely bark or only if its about something. Most of their reasoning for barking/being vocal is communicating with me. Like I will ask them a question.

I'm not sure about adopting a dog at a shelter. Maybe from a rescue a foster home would tell you or if you are buying from private party they will tell you.

You can also go with breeds that are less prone to barking. Certain breeds are barky very vocal and other times some are night barkers (I have one like that). So you'd want to avoid those if it will bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs