Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a pom too. (cute pic above btw!) He is 4 years old and we've had him since he was about 8 weeks old. So here is my experience...and a pic of mine! This is him when he is relaxed and cuddling by us! Appropriately named Bear.

The Positive (and some misc. info )
-Poms tend to not realize they are a toy breed. Mine thinks he's the protector of the house and would challenge any St. Bernard any day of the week.
-He is very active, so he loves going on walks with us and even enjoys jogging with us too. He hates the rain but loves the snow.
-He gets along GREAT with other dogs and cats.
-He loves us unconditionally and "asks" for so little in return...just the toss of a ball or a nice bone
-I swear he is the most intelligent animal ever! ex's...if I am crying he comes right up to my face and licks me until my crying turns to laughter and if I'm in a room with a door closed he will whine at the door until I open it (it's like true concer I swear!), he loves sleeping with us and is a little cuddle monster...although he does hog the bed and covers , he can find any toy in our apartment, no matter where it is hidden (and I mean cabinents, cupboards...anywhere)
-They calm with age...he is 4 and right now I am on the computer and he's on the couch beside me sleeping against a pillow (so cute!)
-He is always so excited to see us and misses us when we've been away (assuming we don't take him)

Negatives...
-They bark...quite a bit. But I'd say the positives outweigh the one negative I have.

Get the pom...you won't regret it!
-It is easy to keep up on his grooming
-The list could go on...but you get the idea...I will definitely own another one someday.

Last edited by mrspink; 02-10-2009 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post

Lucy about a year before she went to the rainbow bridge
lorrie, Lucy was an absoulute doll baby...really exceptional looking
...and you already know I think CoCo is.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 02-10-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Here's a few more pics...just b/c I like to show off my baby!

Here you can see the "pom smile" people talk about.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2239/26/28/12440463/s12440463_46782076_7599.jpg (broken link)

Bear as a puppy with his ball.
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2239/26/28/12440463/s12440463_46782077_8013.jpg (broken link)

Lastly...Bear sleeping. When he was a puppy you could pick him up and he'd sleep right through it, which is why his eyes are closed lol. Doesn't he look like a little teddy bear?
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2239/26/28/12440463/s12440463_46782078_8257.jpg (broken link)

So yea...just a few more pics to persuade you to get a pom!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
^^ Hey there, mrspink... what does Bear's bib say?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Very, very cute pix Mrspink! I haven't taught myself to post pix yet, but I wish I could post my parti white and cream Pom Peanut. I know what you mean about the Pom smile one of the things I love about them...reminds me of my late Golden in that respect as Goldens are always smiling too.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM

The bib says "Mom's Mess Maker"...part of a halloween costume lol.

To post pics...I just copy and pasted from another account I have online.
...I know, his smile will just brighten my day! He always looks so happy! My parents dog is part golden and he does that some too. I love how not all dogs have a distinct "smile" like that. It makes them so unique...part of the reason I was drawn to the breed.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
How about a scottish terrier or australian terrier, small but full of fisty energy.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Most shelters that I worked with did not just bring any dog and put them together...they had to know each dogs personality first and the dogs of course were checked out and had all their shots. I do not think any shelter would just randomly put any two dogs together. I know the ones I dealt with they had a meeting with the adoptees and their dog to see both personalities first! I would assume most are like this.....call first....and yes let your doggie pic out his own friend! The shelter will try to match them first..then let your doggies choose!
Poms are not too crazy about bigger dogs, at least mine was not. He was a little apprehensive and scared. My Pekingese had no fear of any big dogs....he wanted to attack them all! He was very stubborn and a little freshie! But sweet!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
My husband and I have a pom too. (cute pic above btw!) He is 4 years old and we've had him since he was about 8 weeks old. So here is my experience...and a pic of mine! This is him when he is relaxed and cuddling by us! Appropriately named Bear.

The Positive (and some misc. info )
-Poms tend to not realize they are a toy breed. Mine thinks he's the protector of the house and would challenge any St. Bernard any day of the week.
-He is very active, so he loves going on walks with us and even enjoys jogging with us too. He hates the rain but loves the snow.
-He gets along GREAT with other dogs and cats.
-He loves us unconditionally and "asks" for so little in return...just the toss of a ball or a nice bone
-I swear he is the most intelligent animal ever! ex's...if I am crying he comes right up to my face and licks me until my crying turns to laughter and if I'm in a room with a door closed he will whine at the door until I open it (it's like true concer I swear!), he loves sleeping with us and is a little cuddle monster...although he does hog the bed and covers , he can find any toy in our apartment, no matter where it is hidden (and I mean cabinents, cupboards...anywhere)
-They calm with age...he is 4 and right now I am on the computer and he's on the couch beside me sleeping against a pillow (so cute!)
-He is always so excited to see us and misses us when we've been away (assuming we don't take him)

Negatives...
-They bark...quite a bit. But I'd say the positives outweigh the one negative I have.

Get the pom...you won't regret it!
-It is easy to keep up on his grooming
-The list could go on...but you get the idea...I will definitely own another one someday.
I agree with all of the above except my Lucy loved the rain and would sit outside while it was raining and let the world go by. She loved it.
Your pom is a beauty. So adorable.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
lorrie, Lucy was an absoulute doll baby...really exceptional looking
...and you already know I think CoCo is.
Thankyou Gold she was a love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs