U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM

4,356 posts, read 8,603,681 times

Advertisements

Thanx for posting this! This should be a part of the all Daily News reports and in all Newspapers.....soooooooo many people are ignorant to this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM

508 posts, read 1,284,362 times
Just yesterday in our local news it was reported that last year in our county (Mecklenburg) 218,000 pets were put to sleep last year . That's all I'm going to say about that......

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,421,367 times

Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM

200 posts, read 574,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
People should serve jail time for backyard breeding and puppy mills.
Not necessarily jail time, most jails/prisons are already overcrowded, and are wanting to early release a lot of prisoners, I rather they keep the backyard breeders out and keep the drug dealers/gang bangers in.

I think they should be fined heavily and the funds to go towards animal shelters/low cost veterinary care, etc...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

128 posts, read 271,133 times
This stuff breaks my heart. I can't stand it. I have taken in five cats and most recently (December) a dog. I really want to rescue another dog, but at what point would I be considered certifiable? I'm divorced with three kids. There's not much more I can do to help these animals, and it just eats me up.

There are some BEAUTIFUL dogs at a high-kill shelter not too far from me. I can not stop thinking about them, hoping someone will step in and save them.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM

895 posts, read 1,566,225 times
^^ The only thing you can really do is promote neutering/spaying in irresponsible owners and most importantly complain about puppy mills since thats where the majority of dogs that wind up being euthanized come from. I'm not sure how to go about "battling" puppy mills. Perhaps contacting your local representative and ask him/her to talk about them in the state house, thought i bet right now their main concern is the economy..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 AM

21 posts, read 39,290 times
Unhappy It is a plague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
In the neighborhood of 25 million! And that doesn't count the numbers that die of starvation, disease, the elements or being hit by cars. Please, please, please spay and neuter your pets. Your local shelter probably has a voucher they can give with low or now income. It is a sobering statistic. I just felt I had to give justice to animals tonight
Our shelter has a euthanasia rate of under 4% for dogs. Yes you read that right UNDER 4%. We do euthanize but there has to be a good reason. It is a tremendous amount of work to make that happen. It requires people that care and are willing to deal with the idiots and cheaters that toss responsibility out the door like last week's trash.

In just the last week I have seen so many dogs come in that have been 'discarded' and starving, barely able to walk, and sick with exposure and parasites. The people that do this should be put through the same conditions and circumstances. They should be made to work with the broken bodies, the diarrhea, sores and illness that I deal with everyday in the shelter. Make them shove dog-poop for a year. It makes me wish I could ring their necks...

~Sorry its an open wound on my soul~ Please spay and neuter and always remember pets are living things.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 AM

50,332 posts, read 47,711,417 times
yes interestly enough the same number of people killed by the 3rd reich.
and we call them "the humane society".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs