Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM

419 posts, read 602,784 times

Advertisements

I am fostering a guessing 3 year old male dog and I have tried all I can or Ideas I can come up with to house train this dog and keep him from using the bathroom in my house.

Any ideas are welcome. I have run out of ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Crate train him.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Would you please be more specific on what kind of issues you're having? Is he pooping or peeing?

If he's peeing, is he doing it in several places like the corner of a table or chair, or is he peeing in a puddle on the floor? There's a difference between a dog who isn't housetrained and one that is exhibiting marking behavior.

If you can tell us more perhaps we can be more helpful.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Crate train him.
Yes, crate him or section an area off for him. I agree that you need to be more specific.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
We really need a lot more info to be able to offer quality solutions. Is the dog unattended for extended periods of time? Is the dog urinating, defecating, or both? Has a vet examined the dog to rule out a medical condition that would account for the inappropriate bathroom behavior?

I am not a fan of crating. I prefer the "keep the dog tied to your waistband" method, but this only works when someone is at home.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
We really need a lot more info to be able to offer quality solutions.
True. I was expecting the O.P. to engage in an active discussion about her problems, not post and then leave.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 AM

I am sorry I had something come up last night and was unable to get back till now

I am also sorry I should have givin more info.

I am a stay at home wife so I am home majority of the day and if we do have to go out we take him out to use the bathroom before we leave the house

I think he is marking areas. He has pooped a couple times The issue is peeing in the house. He has peed on almost anything that as a corner to it.

He goes outside on a the sametime daily

I have givin treats for going outside and I was always told to ignore when he goes inside the house just clean it up and focus on the praise and rewards for going outside

I have tried pee pads but I am putting those down every single place he has had an accident

If there is anything I have left out that you might feel is helpful please ask and I will answer

I just dont know what else to try. Could it be because hes nerves being in a new home and such? I have never fostered a dog before

Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. I was expecting the O.P. to engage in an active discussion about her problems, not post and then leave.
I am so sorry I did NOT intend to not be able to get back on the computer last night to be able to talk.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
I am so sorry I did NOT intend to not be able to get back on the computer last night to be able to talk.
I doubt anyone was trying to give you a hard time; it's just that everyone here is so anxious to help and they just wanted more information. Nobody expects you to be at your computer 24/7, especially when you have a new doggie in your house.

I have no information for you -- I've never had to housetrain a dog; mine came to me housebroken at 3.5 years old -- but you're about to be bombarded with FABULOUS ideas from a bunch of folks on this forum. They are incredible people with a wealth of information.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I doubt anyone was trying to give you a hard time; it's just that everyone here is so anxious to help and they just wanted more information. Nobody expects you to be at your computer 24/7, especially when you have a new doggie in your house.

I have no information for you -- I've never had to housetrain a dog; mine came to me housebroken at 3.5 years old -- but you're about to be bombarded with FABULOUS ideas from a bunch of folks on this forum. They are incredible people with a wealth of information.
Awww Thanks

I just wanna help this little fella so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs