U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

5,149 posts, read 2,758,307 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Heartgard plus and why I need a prescription to get it.

I have three older dogs that are all heartworm positive. I just got them back from my husband.

I would like to put them all on Heartgard Plus to eventually kill the heartworms as I cannot afford to have them treated, but my vet won't prescribe them. He only wants to treat the dogs. One of my dogs is 13 years old, the treatment would probably kill him. The only dog I would consider treating is 8 years old. The other is 11.

Why do I need a prescription for this? Is there an alternative to treating my dogs monthly other than the exhorbitant $700 quote I got from my vet? I love my dogs but I cannot afford to have this kind of a vet bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM

133 posts, read 306,459 times
Heartgard will not help your dogs. it is a preventative. You need to have a vet TREAT the disease the dogs have already acquired.
This is why vets test dogs first before prescribing heartworm meds....because they only work to prevent heartworms if the dog tests negative. If the dog tests positive, aggressive treatment asap, from a vet is necessary. heartworms is a killer disease. Very serious.
Perhaps your husband will contribute toward paying the bill, since this wouldnt have happened if not for his neglect.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM

I was told by the vet that it would take two years for Heartgard Plus to kill the adults. Using plain Heartgard does nothing but Heartgard Plus DOES kill the adults eventually. It also sterilizes the adults so they can't reproduce anymore, and kills all existing microbials.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM

13,556 posts, read 22,797,213 times
I moved your post to the pet/dog forum. Maybe someone can help you. IIRC if the heartworms are just beginning you can use certain heartworm meds to kill them.

If you want I can call my vet and find out what they charge for heartworm treatment. It wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you.

You can buy certain heartworm preventative without a prescription from http://www.petsuppliesnet.com/ they are out of Australia.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,309,905 times
I think your husband should share the expense of treating the dogs. What a heartbreaking situation

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,114,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I was told by the vet that it would take two years for Heartgard Plus to kill the adults. Using plain Heartgard does nothing but Heartgard Plus DOES kill the adults eventually. It also sterilizes the adults so they can't reproduce anymore, and kills all existing microbials.
By the time the HeartGuard Plus killed the worms, your dogs would be dead. Also, don't know if you have ever seen a dog that is suffering with severe heartworm...but it is not pretty, and it is a horrible death. This is nothing to fool around with, they need to be treated ASAP! I agree, the ex should help foot the bills.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Thank you Keeper. The vet I went to here on Governors also told me that the heartworm treatment injections were completely painless, and I had already done my homework so I know that they are in fact extremely painful. This led me to believe that vet is a gold-digger. Yes, I realize this is a serious situation. The 13 year old dog has had them for years we were told (he's a rescue) and he is the most active dog in the household! Go figure. Anyway I'm going to another vet for a second opinion, perhaps he will agree to prescribe the Heartgard Plus.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,114,237 times
Depending on the severity of the infection, the treatment may not be so bad. You've probably seen this or something like it, but just in case:
Heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) Infection and Prevention in Dogs
Keep us posted and good luck to you and all the furbutts!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,309,905 times
A long time ago my family had a dog get heartworm because we didn't get her on heartworm so we treated her and she was fine...thank goodness. We also had a neighbor that had a poor dog that just spent its entire life tied out back and died of heartworm Please treat your dogs

Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM

3,714 posts, read 10,737,581 times
once a year dogs need to be tested to be sure they do not have heartworm. Mostly it is done
when they have the yearly shots. If all is OK then the vet gives you the medicine, or you can
buy it online. Heartworm treatment is a long process why it is best to have dogs on the pills
and to have them tested yearly. No place otherwise will sell you the pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs