U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 31,180 times

Advertisements

My small daschaund was bitten by a much larger dog. I took him to the vet where the would was treated w/antibiotics and pain meds and was sent home Now there are 2 large lumps on his backside where the bite is. They appear to possibly be abcesses. Is there anything I can do ? Today is Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday. I am trying to avoid an emergency vet visit. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM

3,388 posts, read 8,058,855 times
For a dog that small with big bites, I would take him to, or at least call, the emergency vet.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 AM

315 posts, read 637,246 times
i wouldn't try and avoid a vet visit. those bites can be infected and you really don't want to chance it. maybe try and see if there is anything coming out of the puncture area. also, maybe a hot compress to try and draw out anything that might be in there. but please at least call the vet!
hope it turns out ok.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM

5,503 posts, read 13,973,759 times
I'd go to the vet. Dog bites get infected very easily. Hot compress with salt water is good to draw out the infection and bring down the swelling. Splashing with green tea is also good.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 AM

5,045 posts, read 8,364,389 times
Sorry to hear that. Do you know the dog that bit him? I'd go to the vet too. You don't want to risk even more infection.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 AM

59 posts, read 234,928 times
They very likely are abscesses. If the dog is already on antibiotics and pain meds they can probably wait until Tuesday. (Is the owner of the other dog paying for this treatment?) I work at a vet and this stuff always seems to happen on holidays!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM

13,556 posts, read 22,878,289 times
My Yorkie was nipped by another dog and a week later I noticed a swollen spot. I took him to the vet and it was infected, she just peeled off the scab and YUCK.. all this stuff came oozing out. Hope you have a strong stomach. She said to put peroxide on it and gave him antibiotics. I was sure it was never going to heal because it seemed so wide and you could see the muscles but it did finally heal and the hair has finally grown back where they shaved him.

Do you still have him on antibiotics? If it starts to drain and you have antibiotics that would be a determining factor for me.

Only you can determine whether or not it is an emergency.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM

506 posts, read 1,271,264 times
I'd say if the dog is on antibiotics, should be okay until the vet opens. I'm surprised the vet is not open on President's day. Our vet is open everyday - except Christmas, New Years Day, and Thanksgiving. There is also a doctor on call when the office is closed. You might want to see if your vet is indeed closed tomorrow (2/16). It would be worth it to call (when they are open) and see if a doctor can call you back to advise via the phone, especially since they've seen the dog. Many times they can give you information over the phone.

In the mean time, make sure your dog is eating and drinking normally, activity level (taking in consideration of him being on medicine) and of course going to the bathroom, if he has diar, then it may be an indication something is wrong, but it could also be the meds.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,848,233 times
Default Dog bitten by another dog

Regarding the two lumps left on your dog's backside from being bitten by another dog. Find a 24 hr. emergency vet and take your dog there. It could very well be abcessed.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,052,919 times
I would put hydrogen peroxide on them to open the wound. Growing up we had a cat that was always getting into fights and the vet would tell my mom to use the peroxide on them to keep them open and draining. Believe me that Cat had some huge lumps at times from the abscesses he had. He lived to be an old senile man despite his many many abcesses over his life time. ( he was a cat that it was impossible to keep indoors and most of the fights where with the neighbors one cat as the two hated each other)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs