Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,584 times

Advertisements

We adopted a dog that the shelter told us was a one year old chihuahua mix. She is a bit larger than a pure chi, as we have two of them. So, we decided to send out for a dna test for her. She is a lovely golden color with some white accents and pale amber eyes. The test (a blood test for dna sent via my vet to the lab), results are in. She is predominately toy fox terrier with about 1/4 Weimaraner. OK, that is too weird. Is it even possible to get such a mix???? Feature wise, it can fit. But the sizes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
I've never heard of a DNA test for pedigree. How is that even possible?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Those DNA kits are notoriously unreliable - send one off for a dog with a solid pedigree going back over 50 years and see what you get.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Those DNA kits are notoriously unreliable - send one off for a dog with a solid pedigree going back over 50 years and see what you get.
Exactly... there's a little bit of "something" in them all and those tests pick it all up. As well as being unreliable. We were well aware of this and ran a test on our daughters rescue "Repo". To this day, he looks very much like a black lab slightly shorter ears, with a white smudge on his chest. The test came back Chow, Irish Setter, something else that my mind as drawn a blank on...AND Pappillion.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
How about a picture! Your baby sounds cute - need a lift on a dreary afternoon.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
I saw a puppy up for adoption that was supposedly greyhound/chi mix. yikes!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,319 times
hey, 3chidogs, where does one get one of these dna tests? is this a blood test that is done, or urine? is this something i could google?

i have always been very curious about barnaby, my shih tzu. he is a purebred, and i have his pedigree. BUT...he's a big boy, and he has an overbite that gives his face a decidedly teddy-bear look. i've always wondered if a neighborhood dog snuck through the breeder's back fence.

i would be completely entertained by something like this (...depending on the price, of course).

and, yes, i do think that is a very strange mix that you've got there!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
hey, 3chidogs, where does one get one of these dna tests? is this a blood test that is done, or urine? is this something i could google?

i have always been very curious about barnaby, my shih tzu. he is a purebred, and i have his pedigree. BUT...he's a big boy, and he has an overbite that gives his face a decidedly teddy-bear look. i've always wondered if a neighborhood dog snuck through the breeder's back fence.

i would be completely entertained by something like this (...depending on the price, of course).

and, yes, i do think that is a very strange mix that you've got there!
There are a couple of different tests on the market. They clearly state for home use only. We did a cheek swab test for $46....Our vet did advise to stay away from those who also ask for a pic of the dog!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
You can get a cheek swab test for about $50-60 from an online pet store. Caveat emptor-look at the list of breeds they can identify before you decide on buying.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM

59 posts, read 325,604 times
I work in a vet's office that recently started offering blood tests to find out the breed of your dog. The vet draws the blood and sends it in to the lab. We also got some very strange and surprising results! There really is no way of knowing if these tests are reliable or not, so I'm not sure I would pay to have it done. Maybe they could help in a medical situation where there is a question of a breed's predisposition to a disease. Otherwise, does it really matter if you know that your dog is part terrier several generations back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs