Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times

Advertisements

I agree with the harness rather than the collars. I find its better for both the handler and the dog. You have more control over the dog, and your not going to damage their throat area.
My little daschund...if your on the outside you would think he was a rottweiler inside. They are very protective of their family. But my little Cocoa knows...when i say enough..thats it enough. He knows my tone of voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Mod Note:
Every thread does not need to veer off-topic into debates of BSL and Pitbull attack stories. Please, keep the discussion within the boundaries of the guidelines in the Hot Topics thread at the top of the forum. Debating the same issues over and over again is not helpful; minds are not changed, positions are not modified. Let's move on. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Huh? So because this person can't control their dog others shouldn't have them either. I really don't understand this one. I agree people shouldn't have dogs they can't control or don't know how to deal with. However their size/strength shouldn't dictate that. There are plenty of incidents involving strong/bigger people who can't control their dogs either. If a 14yr old 90lbs girl can stop a fight and "remove one dogs teeth from anothers" then I fail to see why an older, bigger woman can't control their dog. Size has little to do with it and is a poor excuse. This person couldn't get their dog off another because likely they didn't know how and didn't prepare for it. For instance 6ft 6 - 275lbs men and the like can and have found themselves in the same situation.

How did this dog get the other and why couldn't they get their dog off? The answers will probably lead people to find that it wasn't their size that was the main issue, it was their lack of education, knowledge and preparedness. I doubt this person could easily, quickly and correctly break a Patterdale or Jack Russel if the need arose.

So I will keep my medium-large dogs thanks.

Just reminds me of the smaller, elderly lady breeding/showing Irish Wolfhounds. A very large breed of dog without incident. I've seen an incident myself with a mastiff breed. It went for another big dog. He was on lead but as the two owners passed he lunged out after the other dog. The owner was at a loss to control his dog. He had weight on tahis dog, wasn't a small/weak person, he was probably 6ft tall and over 200lbs. Yet he didn't have control and was unaware of what his dogs intentions were going to be, not paying attention. The other dog was even trying to back away and other dogs owner trying to get the aggressor away from his as the leads became entangled and his dog ran out of a place to avoid being attacked.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,339 times
It's all about teaching your PUPPY who's in charge, who's the alpha. If you get an adult, go to classes, but be the alpha.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM

59 posts, read 325,594 times
Working in a vet clinic, I have watched owners being dragged across the parking lot by everything from retrievers to pugs! Traditional collars make it IMPOSSIBLE to control a dog's tugging and the owner loses control in no time! This is dangerous for the dog as well as the owner. Two words: GENTLE LEADER!!! If you have never heard of them here is the website:

Gentle Leader Product Description - Premier Pet

They are fabulous and work wonders! They work on pressure points and subdue the dog and make the dog possible to walk calmly. It takes some time for the dog to get used to but keep at it!!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
We have the easy walk harness by the same company that makes the gentle leader. We were using the gentle leader but my puppy apparently has sensitive skin and it was on him enough time to irritate his skin. Otherwise, I think its great.

I was at the vet's office and two bassets came walking in with the gentle leaders on. Kind of cute.

The only downside is some people think its a kind of muzzle and then are afraid of your dog.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 29,917 times
I've done much research on many breeds and decided that a Cane Corso was the right breed for me. So i adopted one about 3 months ago. After a long conversation with his foster mom (with 3 kids & 8 dogs) i felt very comfortable about him. I met him and fell in love with him. I'm learning more and more about his personality everyday. He is my 125 lb lap dog!! Loves people and loves dogs.
I took him to classes within a few weeks after bringing him home. Come to find out that he already knew everything!! That's great for me!! Also...in the class there was a rotty. Aparently he wasn't fond of rotties. Trainer guessed he had a bad run in with one. He had lunged towards the rotty a few times in class. Of course he was on a leash...i pulled him back and immediately told him to sit and he sat down.

Now lets get back to the original post....110lb weak girl shouldn't own a big dog?????

Sorry to say but i am 105 lb girl ...i don't think of myself weak but strong for my size. He got me beat by 20lbs people!! I am small --He is large. Use your brain you were born with! Work with your dog!!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 29,917 times
Oh yeah....it's also nice to have an intimidating looking dog who is a complete mush!! When i am walking him in town i will get approached by...should i say...guys that 'make me a little leary'. They always ask me if he's friendly and i simply say 'no' and continue walking. Whether they believe it or not (with his little tail and his whole butt wagging) it's their risk.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyb View Post
Oh yeah....it's also nice to have an intimidating looking dog who is a complete mush!! When i am walking him in town i will get approached by...should i say...guys that 'make me a little leary'. They always ask me if he's friendly and i simply say 'no' and continue walking. Whether they believe it or not (with his little tail and his whole butt wagging) it's their risk.
I'm glad that works for you, but many of us just want a companion dog that pleases us, and not to impress other people on the street. I don't need that kind of attention from friends or complete strangers. I don't need to show off owning "an intimidating looking dog" that's a "complete mush". The next step would be owning a wild animal that I've tamed. What about a pet wolf, bobcat or tiger?

But if you bought your cane corso for personal protection and to discourage would be bad people from approaching you, that's different. I'm just put off by people who get a particular pet for the exotic showoff value of it.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyb View Post
I've done much research on many breeds and decided that a Cane Corso was the right breed for me. So i adopted one about 3 months ago. After a long conversation with his foster mom (with 3 kids & 8 dogs) i felt very comfortable about him. I met him and fell in love with him. I'm learning more and more about his personality everyday. He is my 125 lb lap dog!! Loves people and loves dogs.
I took him to classes within a few weeks after bringing him home. Come to find out that he already knew everything!! That's great for me!! Also...in the class there was a rotty. Aparently he wasn't fond of rotties. Trainer guessed he had a bad run in with one. He had lunged towards the rotty a few times in class. Of course he was on a leash...i pulled him back and immediately told him to sit and he sat down.

Now lets get back to the original post....110lb weak girl shouldn't own a big dog?????

Sorry to say but i am 105 lb girl ...i don't think of myself weak but strong for my size. He got me beat by 20lbs people!! I am small --He is large. Use your brain you were born with! Work with your dog!!
My Cane Corso is a female so I actually out weigh her but not by much. She is still but still under control. I wouldn't be able to walk her if she wasn't. That wouldn't make sense because she would drag me everywhere or wear out my arm.

The issue with the Rottweiler was likely the black and tan markings, the tan points above the eyes can set some dogs off as it looks like a dog challenging them and staring them. Such as the Cane Corso I saw go after the Tibetan Mastiff and other dogs I've seen which did not like running across Rottweilers. Cane Corso's are generally not dog aggressive but if they are threatened, challenged or attacked they might stand their ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs