U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,192,194 times

Advertisements

Alot of people get a dog then figure there are certain things they can not do with the dog because of its breed so I would like to share this website with you as I looked it up and sent it to Porckchops mom. It will show you with the right person, right dog and right training, dogs can do things you never expected them to be able to do. When you get to the website click On Meet Lu Lu and check out her memorial page too,
http://www.pawsitivelybullydogtraining.com

I knew LuLu when she was a young dog and in the agility club here in town. She was the most amazing and memorable english bulldog I have ever met and she sets the standards very high for the breed. She died in Jan. at age 13 but she will live forever in all the stories those that have met her tell. She loved to have people cheer for her as she ran agility and would really pick up speed when they did. I have never enjoyed watching any other dog my own included run agility as I did her. There was just something very special about seeing her "I can do that" attitude. Like the little train that could LuLu could.

We also had a malamute that did fantastic at agility and that is another breed that one usually does not see or expect to do agility but he was amazing too as was his owner.

On the maybe not do everything side I knew a lady that raised border collies and she also owned a pitbull. He always watched the dogs work the sheep so one day she decided to let him try it. Her sheep were tough being use to the border collies and getting "the eye" from them. The pitbull did not have " the eye" and the sheep were not willing to work for him and almost kicked the crap out of him. So his herding days were very short! After his experience he avoided the sheep at all costs. Why work when the border collies will do it?

Any of you have dogs that do activities that the breed is not known for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,895,513 times
Thanks so much for the link...I really enjoyed it!
Nope...i just have Goldens who smile alot, retrieve and love to swim

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 AM

16,684 posts, read 26,775,402 times
Ahhh, Dashdog, this is really interesting.

Artie is part Corgi -- a herding breed.
He's also a squirrel-chaser and leash-puller and barker/lunger at people. Hence, the only time that he's off-leash is when he's in our fenced-in yard or when we go to get into my car.

EXCEPT:

I know when the herding trait will kick into high-gear and it doesn't matter what else (squirrels, birds, people, cars, whatever...) is around.

When someone he knows is coming to visit and their car pulls into our driveway, Artie is so excited. I open the front door and Artie shoots out to greet our guests. Like I said, it doesn't matter what other distractions there are -- he's not distracted in the least.

His mission -- his job -- is to greet his people-friends and herd them into the house.

It's really the most amazing thing to watch -- not to mention endearing.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,966,063 times
We have a friend who has a rescue pitbull (named Phoebe) who she is progressing through the agility classes. There is also a mastiff taking agility at the same place!

We hope to start ours soon with agility after Pearl is cleared by her surgeon...as some of you know, our border collie mix under went T.T.A. (acl repair) surgery 29 days ago.

Dash's agility stories have me so excited. I've heard from people that the dogs in agility get so excited by the cheering, the ability to turn on their turbo engines and just go! Our dogs have completed several courses in obedience and are certified pet therapy dogs, which is all formal work...it's due time to allow them fun time with agility!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,192,194 times
Amazonchix,

I don't know if I told you but one of the agility dogs had a CLL tear and underwent TPLO, she was 10 at the time so no young girl like your Pearl. Her name is Kiwi and she is a cattle dog or mix of such. Well after careful reconditioning she started doing agility and was even in the USDAA Agility National Championship. It will just take time to get Pearl into condition to undertake agility. If you do it with the dogs it will be the most fun you will have with them as they love it so much. Even if you never do a competition just playing the game with them makes them so happy as long as you remember it is all really about fun.

As for another breed doing something out of the normal for that breed. One year at our Flyball tournament one of the clubs had a Bernese Mountain Dog on one of their teams. Flyball is about speed not something one thinks of with a Bernese . It was obvious they were there to have fun, The Bernese would more or less stroll over the hurdles which were pretty low as their height dog was some small breed, she would get the ball and go back ove the hurdles like she was supposed to do. Everynow and then on a run she would have a little speed but her size and the fact it was August so HOT really was a disadvantage to her.Yet she was so pleased with her self as everyone on the team made a fuss over her. I think in her own eyes she felt she was one of the super fast bordercollies. It was so sweet to see and is a huge reminder to all that No it is not all about winning it is about playing the game. She was one of my favorite dogs at the tournament that year. We have several kiddie pools out and a hose so dogs can get cooled off and you would see her laying in one of the pools so happy to be a part of it all!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
Porkchop fetches and runs as fast as the big dogs. And, he swims, which is unusal for Bulldogs. I also signed him up for agility, which starts tonight but he is very sick and can't make it to the first class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs