Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times

Advertisements

OK, my girl had a grand mal seziure on Valentine's Day. She woke us up early morning in convulsions, foaming at mouth legs going crazy. When she came out of it she was very disoriented. Would not stop pacing around and if I tried to hold her still her back legs would give out(the vet said this was probably from the seziure.)

She has been on thyroid meds(Soloxine .5mg) for about a year now. I had her thyroid checked in Dec. before we moved. They said thyroid was elevated and to half her medication.

When I took her to vet Sat. morning they said thyroid was low to take her meds back up to one pill instead of halving. They also gave me phenobarbitol for the seziures.

She has not had another seziure. I am at a loss! Do I give her the pheno just as a preventive? It could have been just from the low thyroid. If I don't give it to her and she has another seziure I will feel horrible. On the other hand if I do give it to her what if she doesn't need it? From the research I've been doing the pheno can mess with the accuracy of thyroid tests.

I hope this is making sense. I have not been myself since Sat. I love this girl we have grown up together.

The vet said if it's not from thyroid, it's probably a brain tumor. I will not have her CT scanned to find out for sure. She is 14 and I do not think surgery or chemo is the answer for a dog of her age. This was her first seziure. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old.

Right now her quality of life is good. She doesn't have as much energy as she use to, but she still pulls on the leash and loves to be petted.

I should also say before the seziure she started being more aggressive with the other dogs as far as eating. But now, it's like they know she is ill and go ahead of her in the dog door.

I am heartbroken. I know she won't live forever but I sure would like for her too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
The low thyroid could account for the aggression, but the brain tumor sounds plausible too, especially with the seizure. 14 is a good long life for most dogs. I am sorry for what you are facing. Been there several times. It gets easier as time goes on.

I agree, I did not put my 11 year old through chemo for hemangiosarcoma. [10-12 was typical life expectancy for GSD]- I wish for you to have strength and your dog to enjoy the time she has left with you.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
You could have bloodwork done to check her pheono levels, they may need to be adjusted.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
So sorry for your dog - and you. No advice to give, just sympathy - been there myself.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Thank you for your kind words. She is fine right now, chasing my son around. I know though that she can't live forever.....

I gave her some of the pheno today...it's supposdly bad for her liver but at 14 I think comfort is my main concern.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
It is interesting that the vet gave you the phenobarbitol after one seizure. My friends old border collie started having seizures and the vet felt they were not often enough to be treated with medicine. It turned out she would have them when she got too excited. If she did not get over excited she did not have them.

My brothers old Shar Pei also had seizures in his old age and he was not taking any drugs for them either.

Neither owner spent the money to check for a cause as at their dogs were old and they figured they would not treat any brain tumor so why spend the money looking? Both kept their dogs comfortable until the day came to put them down. Both dogs lived for over a year and close to 2 years after that first seizure.

I don't know that I would worry so much about what the drug can do to the liver when the dog is 14 as it is not like a 6 or 7 year old that could be on it for many many years. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I would agree that comfort is the most important thing in your situation...I am so sorry you are going through this, I know it hurts so much to see them ill, especially when they are getting old and dont have the strength and stamina to go through a bunch of tests and procedures...just give her lots of love and do what you can to keep her as comfy as possible. Check with your vet, maybe you could give her a liver tonic (milk thistle or dandelion root) to offset some of the negative effects of the pheno...? My heart goes out to you...hang in there.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,452 times
i am so sorry that you and your family are dealing with this. i would do everything i could to keep her comfortable and able to enjoy her life. if that means the phenobarbitol, then do it. make sure you ask the vet for any side effects so you're not suprised.
i will keep you and your sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 AM

I am not sure why the vets gave me the meds. I am sure vets just like doctors handle things differently. I was in such a state of shock Sat. morn at her office. I was sitting on the floor with Huey in front of me with her head on my leg. We had to wait for awhile for the blood work to come back and we stayed on that cold office floor for awhile.

Huey is doing well. Her nose is very cold and wet. I have changed her diet somewhat and I think she likes the home cooked meals mom is making for her!

Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's very comforting to know that other people care and have been through similar situations.

The kindness of strangers........

Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
I am not sure why the vets gave me the meds. I am sure vets just like doctors handle things differently. I was in such a state of shock Sat. morn at her office. I was sitting on the floor with Huey in front of me with her head on my leg. We had to wait for awhile for the blood work to come back and we stayed on that cold office floor for awhile.

Huey is doing well. Her nose is very cold and wet. I have changed her diet somewhat and I think she likes the home cooked meals mom is making for her!

Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's very comforting to know that other people care and have been through similar situations.

The kindness of strangers........

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. I know EXACTLY how you feel, because we are going through something similar with my 13 yr old Golden. She has her good days and bad. Yesterday was an horrible day for her, where she could barely walk and it was impossible for her to raise herself...This morning she almost appears normal....except for the pure disorientation....I've said it before: It sucks to get old! I hate seeing her this way....but as long as she some of the "good days", will continue on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs