Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,369 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a 6 month old weimaraner male puppy that I take on walks each afternoon. If I go by myself with him I have to halfway drag him at the start of our walk to get him to go on a walk with me. We go about 1/2 mile up the road and then he'll go fine. He doesn't go away from me, he walks right next to me and doesn't sniff around. He isn't scared, he just walks there. He's been getting a little more relaxed and going off to the side of the road a little, but he still very reluctant to go on a walk in the beginning. Once we get halfway around our loop of 1.9 miles, he starts perking up, like a horse that knows he's on the way home. He walks a little faster and when he can see the house he starts running and gets there before me. So weird. He doesn't leave our lot (1 acre) and enjoys the back porch for a sit. This is nothing like the weimaraners we've had before. And the funny thing is, if I take my 4 year old daughter or all the family with me on the walk he's fine. He'll leave with us without a leash and walk the whole way energetically. Any ideas why he's not excited for a walk? It's the stragest thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
First, where are you located? Is it cold out? Maybe if it's cold out your puppy would do better with a coat! Even though dogs have fur, they DO need coats in the winter!

Second, what are you doing to make these walks fun for him? Are you bringing along some scrumptious, high value treats (chicken, cheese and steak, NOT crappy cookies from the store)? You can distribute these at random intervals during the walk. DO NOT DRAG HIM. That only makes him hate going for walks. When he walks, PRAISE HIM, drag out the treats, have a party. This is where clicker training comes in so useful: it reinforces the EXACT behavior you want to encourage.

Third, does he have a favorite toy? If he does, then you should bring it along and ONLY let him have that toy on walks. ONLY ON WALKS. This is one of the best ways of getting him to enjoy walks: his special walk toy!!! He should NEVER see or have the toy except during walks.

But PLEASE stop dragging him. It only makes him dread walks.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Mine does something similar when we first leave the house she doesn't want to go but once we are on our way she perks up. It is almost like she is afraid we won't come back to the house. When we turn the corner to our street, she can't wait to get back inside.

I too have had weims before but I had to walk them from the beginning because we didn't have a yard for them to run around in and no problems.

I think Virlamd is right though, my weim will go anywhere for food.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,369 times
Default Clarification

I should clarify that I'm not literally dragging the dog. I just meant I had to highly energetically encourage him to come with me. His expression is like I'm making him do something he would rather not. But I am not literally pulling him...that's cruel.

I'll try some treats...he does do a lot for treats. But maybe he's just a real homebody...we'll see. Thanks for the advice...any more?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Hi, a neighbor just did get after her dogs died-forward 2 years-2 puppy's. one the girl will run to home when she does see a big balloon. the other puppy, will just lay down, I am not going! They both are
5 months. They are of a small breed and have the harness as they love to pull. The puppy who will not
walk also does get car sick. Anyway my dog, going on 8, hates to be home alone! Walks, no problem, food, the more the better!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmith9735 View Post
I should clarify that I'm not literally dragging the dog. I just meant I had to highly energetically encourage him to come with me. His expression is like I'm making him do something he would rather not. But I am not literally pulling him...that's cruel.

I'll try some treats...he does do a lot for treats. But maybe he's just a real homebody...we'll see. Thanks for the advice...any more?
What I did think, if there is a puppy school near you, as the AKC kennel club does have that may help. Even ask the vet for advice. The dog is young,
who does know the reason. Also maybe try, you alone, say going to the store, and call the dog to come. Most dogs enjoy a car ride, then say I
will be back. Maybe get the dog a bone for being good. Just do it slowly
with TLC. The bone is one for the dogs! I seem to recall this dog was 5 months, and would walk a short distant, go potty, and wish to return to her
home. She did know just where it was, and also felt, I need to return now. She would walk, but, tell me home. ok the treats say you have the neighbors, which we have here, some have dogs, some do not. Anyway, most enjoy a visit, and keep treats on hand when they greet pets.
even do plan the walk, and get a box of treats, carrots or, and do for a while plan walks, so it is fun, the dog walks, and does get treated!
What we do for Pets! Reminds me of when I must go to school, no way! Yes, I did get there, not by my wish either! Now she walks anywhere, and loves dogs, and people. It may be the family, pack all together!

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-19-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
Mine simply doesn't want to walk and cruel or not have to drag him. I will try your advice from now in. I have a question though, what do you do if dog is not hungry? He doesn't seem to play either. Anyhow, thanks for your page! Keep it rolling!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Old Thread IF your looking for answer try starting a New thread Go into more details!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs