Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:24 AM

459 posts, read 804,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhladik12 View Post
My pit bull Q is honestly the best dog I've ever known. I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years and he "won" custody of our dog. I miss him on a daily basis and whenever I go to visit him I am reminded of what an outstanding dog he is.
He learned sit in 10 minutes when the puppy book said a week... lol
He also learned lots and lots of things just by repetition... such as "uh uh, i mean it..." when he thinks he can get away with a fake sit... lol
I believe pit bulls are one of the smartest breeds and it almost makes you feel special when they share affection with you because of all the negative hype and bad rap they get.
Q is the sweetest love bug ever, he would do anything just to get the chance to sit next to you on the couch and lean on you... sneak a couple kisses in...
I honestly feel special knowing I raised a wonderful loving dog who happens to be a great ambassador for APBTs.

HAHAHAHA... My pit bull is the exact same way. He is so easy to train because he is just so into whatever i'm doing and wants to get endless amounts of affection. I actually heard tug o war is ok as long as you win 90% of the time. You have to show your dominant and the boss but you have to let them win sometimes because I don't think anybody dog or human likes to lose all the time. In my experience the main thing with training these guys is just being consistant. They require alot of positive attention and exercise, and as long as you give them both of these they can be the best dogs you can ever own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
I LOVE pits!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
I rescued a female pit. She is amazing. I have a cage that I use occasionally for her if need be. (People coming over who might be scared of her). I can say "get in the cage" and she goes straight in there. She doesn't mind it because there is a soft pillow in there and she sleeps in there on her own.

If she is on the couch or bed, you say "move" and she will move out of the way.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
One day we'll have a pit in our family. They are such cute nugget heads (lol)!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Love all the responses so far!

My baby girl was a rescue as well. she's 8 months old. Her "worst" habit is loving people too much. She wants to "hug" and lick everyone. Even the mailman loves her! She wags her tail so hard (especially around men), her whole backside wiggles :-D

She's so smart - I'm so proud of her every time she learns something new. I was ecstatic when she went swimming for the first time (in a creek at a dog park, on an exceptionally warm day recently).

She even learned how to be gentle with my housemate's dog, an older lab, who'd had surgery and couldn't play like she was used to.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM

30 posts, read 67,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I recently moved and across the street are 2 Pit Bulls and a black lab.... the female Pit came over to meet me when were unloading the car, she is very well socialized and calm.... wagging her tail, grinning very friendly. I was very careful, and slowly held out my hand, she started rubbing her face all over my hand, then started rubbing against my leg.. very funny. same to my friend. after several trips into the house, the male came over....bigger and looked mean... he gave us the eye, thne watched the female rubbing and he walked up and held up his head so I rubbed his chin and he started grinning and wagging. then the Lab came barrelling over, earthquake rumble, he wanted attention too... couple more trips over with stuff and same behavior. The male was standing in the driveway Saturday night and wagged his tail when I pulled in. I patted his head and went in....

I have been around Rotties and Dobes so I must give off 'calm vibes" Keep missing the owners but I will tell them how much I appreciate their well behaved kids.... they don't even bark when the 6-10 year old kids next door are playing in the yard.....

Obviously trained well.
While it's a cute story, it is entirely irresponsible of the dog's owners to allow them to run the neighborhood willey nilley. It is a news story waiting to happen.

While the dogs may be nice and enjoy the attentions you offered, the next person they 'walk up on' in their own driveway may not be as nice and as accepting as you are.

And while they seemingly aren't bothering any neighbor's dogs currently, that can change with the next dog they encounter and then the owners will have an issue on their hands.

I wouldn't encourage this behavior and I would also check with the Local AC or SPCA to request a welfare check and ask if they'll talk to the owners about the dangers of allowing their dogs to run free and the legalities that are present as well.

I am sorry to be a Kill Joy, but seriously here folks, we are battling BSL in a good bit of this country, no need to add to the hysteria and media frenzy of the breed.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM

30 posts, read 67,726 times
I am the owner of 2 Rescued/adopted Pit bulls.

Angus is a 'game bred' APBT standing at 16" tall and weighing only about 40lbs. He was a confiscation from a fighting ring in lower VA and I adopted him at 12wks old, he was neutered at 14wks old in the hopes of settling him down much earlier.

He has a HUGE prey drive and can't be around animals his size or smaller. We have tried everything from an Electric Collar with a professional trainer to food motivated training; we've used Martingale style collars and a Prong Collar. Walking him in public around other dogs isn't possible, it's barely possible in our own neighborhood.

He is people friendly and loves to the attention he gets from them, we are working on getting him to settle around children and having much better luck than we have had around other animals.

Angel started out with us as a Foster 2 yrs ago and we knew she was going to be a difficult placement. She was severely shy and introverted, and skiddish and fearful of nearly everything around her. We believe she was severely abused before reaching our rescue group.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs202.snc1/6925_1038046247486_1715402746_79239_4472468_n.jpg (broken link)

She is GREAT on a leash and is very easy to walk, her only problem is; she HATES cars and gets sick every time she's placed in one. We recently officially adopted her in January and she's coming into her own nicely. Not as fearful and is able to play outside with Angus very nicely.

She has begun to welcome guest to the house instead of hiding in her crate and she is even a bit out spoken to people who don't meet with her approval. She's still way to fearful to do anything more seriously than bark once to get my attention.

Sharing my training techniques aren't likely to help here, as I'm still gaining control of my high prey driven Pittie boy. Thanks for letting me share.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
After decades of smart Dobermans, I didn't know what to expect on my first foray into APBT ownership. Well, I quickly realized I had one smart cookie on my hands in the form of one Miss Nanners. A smart dog will always make their human look like an expert dog trainer, and Nanners makes that job easier than those wonderful Dobermans ever did.

The combination of her intelligence, sweet nature, the fact that she seldom barks, her ability to get along with other dogs in the family, and her joyous love for human beings has sold me on this breed. I may rescue Dobes again in the future, in fact I KNOW I will, but they'll have a Pitty companion while they live under my roof.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM

82 posts, read 495,883 times
25+ years of owning the APBT. I have had both M's and F's. same bloodlines and different bloodlines as well. I bred (don't do it, the shelters are full of APBT's) and kept pups and gave the rest to what I thought would be good homes. all I asked in return was the 1st right to reclaim the dog if they got rid of it. all my dogs were/are house dogs, loved, well fed, well excercised, socialized with dogs, cats, people and kids and all had regular vet appointments/check ups/shots etc.. they were/are in short, part of the family. here is what I know without a doubt; the dogs are all different but share common qualities. they are loyal, super athletic and aim to please. these traits are beyond measure in this particular canine. how are they different? some were brilliant others were (I hate to say it) thick as cow hide. some were the bravest animal in the city, others were frightened of the vacuum and the postal lady and the flag pole. some liked everybody and all the people they came across. some just liked a small circle of people and ignored or tolerated or were just flat out aloof and oblivious to the rest. some dogs liked every and all canines. some just liked a few "special" dog buddies. still others would try and fight any other dog that squatted or raised it's leg. if the other dog had paws then the brawl was on. dogs will be dogs, people. be careful with this great breed! they have special precautionary needs. also, even the most lovable unaggressive APBT can at times be perceived as a dangerous animal. at some point you and your dog will experience bias and prejudice. I have had more than one hysterical "soccer mom" actually scoop her children into her arms. I've had grown men shake/hollar, "put that dog on a leash or I'll call the police". keep in mind the dogs were trustworthy (they earned it) and trained and under verbal command. i still excercise off lead, but it is in remote areas with other very athletic and friendly dogs with owners who know the score. some of my dogs were never off a leash in public. they were too aggressive (wasn't for lack of training and trying to curb the behavior) and they could not be trusted. dog bites and dog fights will open you up to tremendous liability and mucho $, and your dog can pay the price with it's life and that is way too expensive. plus, well, you have an APBT and even if your dog is defending itself YOU are wrong. the most important thing with these "guys" is consistency. be consistent! and be in charge. these dogs can be extremely ram-headed and will test your dominance. if they have dominance in the home then they will believe they have dominance in the street, which, given the wrong dog or immature dog could lead to major problems. look for behavior changes anywhere from 8 months to 3 years. a once dog friendly APBT could decide he is a badazz and want to fight. trick is recognizing the change so you can prevent trouble. if you live in a packed suburbia or city then expect a visit from canine control. even if your dog is an epic lover of people and animals. the pooch police (maybe on a neighbors call) will want to see for themselves. I always invited them in. come meet the dogs. any house defensive/aggressive dog would be put in a crate (yes, crate train!) and the rest would be poster children, loving (even canine control) the way they do! all smiles and wags. anyway, too much coffee and I am rambling. thanks for your time! love these/your dogs. they are the best! but never forget with all the talent that they possess you as their owner have enormous an responsibility. peace.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 197,685 times
Very well said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
25+ years of owning the APBT. I have had both M's and F's. same bloodlines and different bloodlines as well. I bred (don't do it, the shelters are full of APBT's) and kept pups and gave the rest to what I thought would be good homes. all I asked in return was the 1st right to reclaim the dog if they got rid of it. all my dogs were/are house dogs, loved, well fed, well excercised, socialized with dogs, cats, people and kids and all had regular vet appointments/check ups/shots etc.. they were/are in short, part of the family. here is what I know without a doubt; the dogs are all different but share common qualities. they are loyal, super athletic and aim to please. these traits are beyond measure in this particular canine. how are they different? some were brilliant others were (I hate to say it) thick as cow hide. some were the bravest animal in the city, others were frightened of the vacuum and the postal lady and the flag pole. some liked everybody and all the people they came across. some just liked a small circle of people and ignored or tolerated or were just flat out aloof and oblivious to the rest. some dogs liked every and all canines. some just liked a few "special" dog buddies. still others would try and fight any other dog that squatted or raised it's leg. if the other dog had paws then the brawl was on. dogs will be dogs, people. be careful with this great breed! they have special precautionary needs. also, even the most lovable unaggressive APBT can at times be perceived as a dangerous animal. at some point you and your dog will experience bias and prejudice. I have had more than one hysterical "soccer mom" actually scoop her children into her arms. I've had grown men shake/hollar, "put that dog on a leash or I'll call the police". keep in mind the dogs were trustworthy (they earned it) and trained and under verbal command. i still excercise off lead, but it is in remote areas with other very athletic and friendly dogs with owners who know the score. some of my dogs were never off a leash in public. they were too aggressive (wasn't for lack of training and trying to curb the behavior) and they could not be trusted. dog bites and dog fights will open you up to tremendous liability and mucho $, and your dog can pay the price with it's life and that is way too expensive. plus, well, you have an APBT and even if your dog is defending itself YOU are wrong. the most important thing with these "guys" is consistency. be consistent! and be in charge. these dogs can be extremely ram-headed and will test your dominance. if they have dominance in the home then they will believe they have dominance in the street, which, given the wrong dog or immature dog could lead to major problems. look for behavior changes anywhere from 8 months to 3 years. a once dog friendly APBT could decide he is a badazz and want to fight. trick is recognizing the change so you can prevent trouble. if you live in a packed suburbia or city then expect a visit from canine control. even if your dog is an epic lover of people and animals. the pooch police (maybe on a neighbors call) will want to see for themselves. I always invited them in. come meet the dogs. any house defensive/aggressive dog would be put in a crate (yes, crate train!) and the rest would be poster children, loving (even canine control) the way they do! all smiles and wags. anyway, too much coffee and I am rambling. thanks for your time! love these/your dogs. they are the best! but never forget with all the talent that they possess you as their owner have enormous an responsibility. peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs