Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times

Advertisements

They are very smart, only second to the IQ of a poodle and GSD I believe.

Here is my rescue pittie Princess!

She has a huge smile!

Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Ohh, how cute!! How on earth did you get her to sit still with a tiara on? Mine would shred it in seconds!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
Cynthia

I can say you shouldn't have got him in the first place. 5 other dogs and you added a Pit Bull. What's done is done but I wish people would take consideration.

Multi dog homes don't always go smoothly, especially where a Pit is concerned. Even if you work with a behaviorist it isn't a guarantee. You and your dog can really be helped and things might go well but no way to insure the behavior may not be repeated.

You need to find an experienced Pit Bull owner IMO. I usually don't say rehome unless its the best for the dog. In this case it seems that way.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Groar I have heard the myth about tug makinga dog dominant or aggressive, the prey drive thing was a first.

You can build on prey drive but like you said instinct. Dogs are predators and of course different breeds have different levels in general.

What I do with mine is similar across the board. If its a tug rope or other toy I want it when asked. I can break of the play, make them sit and stay even if I wave around the flirtpole or throw the toy. I don't do it so much with the springpole but every now and then I will have them sit and wait. I think it helps keep them Sharp on their commands and teaches impulse control.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM

I've never seen any sources say they are as intelligent as a poodle/gsd (or just below them). I'd have to think Border Collies are in the top 3. I've seen Poodles listed as #1 many times around.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Animal behaviorists say that if you can't win at tug, don't play. They start thinking they are alpha but you should be alpha.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Animal behaviorists say that if you can't win at tug, don't play. They start thinking they are alpha but you should be alpha.
not the animal behaviorists i've read!

dogs aren't playing tug because they want to get the object from you. they play tug because they want to tug on something WITH you. they want you to help them make their toy more interesting. the instinct likely comes from cooperatively pulling apart animal carcasses (ew!)

there's no "winning" tug for a dog. when i play tug with my dog, if i let go of the rope she immediately comes back and puts it on my hand or my knee so i can pick it up again. she does not run away with it held high, which she does if she's found something good. if i hold it so it's slack she stops pulling. me not pulling on the rope is the worst thing that can happen short of me putting the rope away.

tug does present a lot of opportunities to teach a dog self control when something exciting is going on, and it's not going to hurt anything to "win" the game every time, but it's really not necessary.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
One of the most common places where dogs find conflict with other dogs is at the dog park, where adrenalin runs high and excitement is the name of the game. The concentrated chaos of an ever changing pack can tempt even the most passive dogs past their limits. Scuffles and fights happen with ALL types of dogs at parks, and if one occurs, your maturing pit bull might just find himself smak dab in the middle of it. However it goes, you can bet that you and your dog will be labeled the bad guy. Protecting our dogs involves avoiding situations - like dog parks - where dogs are so often set up to fail.
These two play buddies are actually having a great time together. The young male on the right is submitting nicely to the pushy play style of the female on the left, but as he continues to mature, this kind of challenge and excitement could be enough to trigger an argument. This is especially true if it comes from a dog he doesn't know well. Remember, our dogs are essentially large terriers and terriers as a group are known for not backing down from a challenge.
But LOTS of people bring pit bulls to dog parks with no problems whatsoever. What's up with that?
Easy answer: Dogs that do well in rowdy play sessions with larger groups of unknown dogs are typically youngsters. Parks can be great places for them to blow off steam and socialize, but as dogs begin to feel their adult bravado, it's normal for them to lose patience with other dogs' rude behavior.
No matter how much good socializing and training you've done, your dog's tolerance can still disappear if he's triggered into conflict by another dog's challenge, a tussle over a toy, a tug-o-war game or even a friendly wrestling match that gets a little "too exciting."
Because we dog people love to be optimists, many of us let ourselves get lulled into a false sense of confidence after months or even years of success in the parks. Common misperceptions: "Dog parks are the best place for socializing" or "I can call him out of trouble if it shows up - He listens to me."
Here's why you REALLY don't want your dog to fight at the Dog Park:
Because dogs of all sizes visit dog parks, larger dogs have the potential to hurt smaller dogs, bringing large vet bills, problems with your local animal control, liability concerns, and, in the some instances, you could lose your dog for good. In addition, setting your dog up to fail can negatively affect his future interactions with other dogs. Want to increase his odds of staying dog tolerant? Never let him get into his first fight. For real. Whether or not your dog starts it, many a dog is forever changed by his first fight and may never be the same around other dogs again. And finally, during this time of breed prejudice, even the smallest display of bravado involving pit bull type dogs will set off alarm bells in onlookers and ding the reputation of the breed yet again. It's not fair, but it's the reality we're facing right now.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Create fun socializing opportunities for your dog starts with finding other conscientious dog owners. Find them by signing up for obedience classes, meetup groups or dog sports like Rally or dock diving to meet potential play partners for your pet. Another way to socialize your dog is to sign up as a foster home for a local rescue group.
Some maintain small play groups for their neighborhoods dogs in backyards, fenced in ball fields and small, low traffic parks. If yours does not, see if you can't find one or two dog owners in your area who might be willing to start a small social group.
Honestly? Some of most the well socialized dogs are able to stay that way simply because responsible owners chose to avoid setting them up to fail in situations like dog parks. Our dogs benefit from building up a large list of 'dog friendships,' much in the same way parents seek out good playmates for their small children.
If your dog just isn't fond of other dogs - No sweat. He gets the fun of enjoying play time with you all to himself. Dogs don't have to have other dog friends in order to be happy.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 704 times
i have a pit he is just shy of three years old.. i love him to death.. ,he is not trained.. pleasee i do need trainning for him.. he is very protective when it comes to me ,so YES he will bite and has ..I want him to stop being this way .. i just really need to know who or how i can train him.. he is pit/and amer. bulldog... brindle in color...i just wanna be able to walk him..without him wanting to tear up other dogs or anyone.. i want him to LISTEN... like i said he is VERY protective when it comes to me .soooooo really i need good advice.. im giving him a second chance but next time he goes down.. but yet he is like my son... need help.. please .. !!!!!!

mod snip

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: adding email so someone can send me info ..hopefully../no email addresses, please - dangerous - use DM feature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs